Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #21

I get the NAPA Gold from FleetFilters.com for about 6 bux, and order all of the filters I figger I'll use for a year, so the shipping, like my mattress, is FREE! (That's a CA thing.)

I have three Jeeps, a 1994 Buick, a 2000 F-150, the 2005 GT, a 1978 Tioga Class C, a Craftsman Garden Tractor, a boat with an OMC 5.0 Liter, and a Craftsman lawnmower.

Lotsa filters every year, but these guys are good and fast.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #22
Anacortesians

Unfortunately I'm up to my backside in crocodiles with my Onan 5500. In Dec 2011, I had an angioplasty op which resulted in me being sidelined for about 3 months. I didn't get to the "run the generator" task until about 14 weeks. It hasn't run since, despite a lot of troubleshooting and component replacement.

I've replaced all the filters, soaked the carb in Sea-Foam for several weeks and replaced the fuel pump. Trying to start it gives out great big bangs, gouts of white smoke and it doesn't run for more than about 2 seconds.

Before I replaced the fuel pump, the original Onan pump would tick for about a minute and the die down. The replacement keeps ticking as long as I hold down the "prime" button. I suspect that the carb float isn't floating properly and is being overwhelmed by the new fuel pump.

My next step is to check fuel pump pressure and maybe get a new carb. I'm planning to sell later on in the season, and need to have the generator running.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:55 PM   #23

fleetfilters.com doesn't come up. Can you check that for us?
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:06 AM   #24
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Ahh, GT4Six, enjoy the cold one! Change my genny oil every spring regardless of how many hours put on the previous season. I'll keep it around the garage in a bleach jug to use in oil cans and such because its isn't really dirty. Buy the filters at Napa, expensive lil buggers at $14.99 but between the 2 qts. of oil and the filter, I figure it's cheap PM. Watch out for that rubber seal putting on the new filter, it can give a false sense of the filter being tightened, at least that's what happened to me last season. Start the genny up to cycle and re-check level and oil can blowing out. What a mess, it dripped down for about a week or so under the rig because it is impossible to get to all the places it ran into. Da! I learned make sure its tightened!LOL!
Thanks Sherman,

I'll definitely keep an eye on that...sounds like is a no brainer except for that as everybody warns on it. I hope I do it right!

will enjoy the cold one after I re-started it
2013 FR GT 351DFS
GT4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #25
Anacortesians

Can anyone give me an idea of what's going on with my Emerald 5500? It ran fine for the first 3 seaons, but then got neglected after I had cardiac surgery 2 years ago and hasn't run since.

The symptoms are:

1. The new fuel pump I installed (another vendor, not Onan, but identical in appearance), never stops "clicking" when I use the prime button. The old Onan pump did.

2. When I crank it, I get big bangs out of the exhaust pipe, accompanied by dense clouds of white smoke.

I suspect that the fuel pump is over-powering the float and needle and flooding the float bowl. I'm planning to test the new pump's output pressure shortly. According to the manufacturer's specs the output could be as high as 4 psi, whereas the carb can't handle higher than 1.8 psi.

Since I'm thinking we'll be selling the rig this season, I need to sort this thing out so that the generator is operational. I'd rather not get into buying a $250 carb for an engine with less than 75 hours on it.

Any and all opinions are requested.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #26

First thing I would do is pull the carb take it apart and clean it put in a new needle and seat and should be good to go. Be a lot cheaper then a new carb if it works..
Old 04-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #27

No need for a new carb. Pull it and clean it making sure the jets are not clogged. If the pump is putting out too much flow, get a pressure regulator between the pump and carb or get the correct pump.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
fleetfilters.com doesn't come up. Can you check that for us?
No "S" fleetfilter.com. Sorry 'bout that!
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:43 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds342 View Post
No "S" fleetfilter.com. Sorry 'bout that!
Cool works now Thanks
Old 04-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
Can anyone give me an idea of what's going on with my Emerald 5500? It ran fine for the first 3 seaons, but then got neglected after I had cardiac surgery 2 years ago and hasn't run since.

The symptoms are:

1. The new fuel pump I installed (another vendor, not Onan, but identical in appearance), never stops "clicking" when I use the prime button. The old Onan pump did.

2. When I crank it, I get big bangs out of the exhaust pipe, accompanied by dense clouds of white smoke.

I suspect that the fuel pump is over-powering the float and needle and flooding the float bowl. I'm planning to test the new pump's output pressure shortly. According to the manufacturer's specs the output could be as high as 4 psi, whereas the carb can't handle higher than 1.8 psi.

Since I'm thinking we'll be selling the rig this season, I need to sort this thing out so that the generator is operational. I'd rather not get into buying a $250 carb for an engine with less than 75 hours on it.

Any and all opinions are requested.
First, Check your oil level. If it is higher than normal your crankcase could be
full of fuel due to your float sticking open. Second, smell the oil on your dipstick to see if it smells like fuel. Third, Does the generator pull from the main tank? If so, do you have enough fuel in your main tank? If mine goes below 1/4 tank my gen won't start. Fourth, pull your plugs and see if they are wet with fuel/oil or if they are fouled. I am a heavy truck mechanic with 35 years and these are the first steps I would take to solve your problem.
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown, service