Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2015, 11:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsonv View Post
I had the dealer replace the 3 step LCI with the 2 step Kwikee. My LCI steps broke when I had one foot inside and one foot on the step. Almost a disaster. If I had not grabbed the outside handle I would have had a bad fall. For al of you that have broken steps, file a complaint on the NHTSA web site. An investigator called me to discuss the problem and I mailed them the broken bolt.

The 2 step Kwikee allows me to park in front of the house with out the steps htting the curb.

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I ended up doing a face plant on my concrete driveway. My dealer replaced with Kwikee steps under warranty. I thought at the time that there was a lawsuit waiting to happen. Failures are so common there should have been a recall!!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:38 AM   #22

I told the RV dealership of the numerous step failures and they said my GT was the first they've had this problem with and they are a GT dealer......sure.........
Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazymace View Post
Exactly the same thing happened to me. I ended up doing a face plant on my concrete driveway. My dealer replaced with Kwikee steps under warranty. I thought at the time that there was a lawsuit waiting to happen. Failures are so common there should have been a recall!!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
The lack of a recall is directly related to the NHTSA not knowing about the step failures. Take a few minutes and go to their website and file a complaint. They will take action if enough of you file. I pointed the investigator at the Forum so they could research but your voice is much more louder if you file.
nicholsonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:59 PM   #24
ME

I think there is a old thread about taking out bolt once a year to clean tighten lubricate? Anyone remember? Using phone app so searching isn't easy.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:25 PM   #25

Steps!

On my 2014. 378 TS had the LCI steps first break 8 months into my ownership period. I tried to get Campimg World (not my selling dealer) order a Kwikee step but Forest River refused. It took many weeks to get it repaired which was not a problem as we were home in Florida. Selling dealer is in Ohio where we spend a great deal of the summer months. Fast forward to this April. Took the coach in to have a slide leak repaired. Steps actually broke as dealer was doing the intake walk around. Coach out of warranty but as the steps were less than 1 year old--- Forest River are replacing them with a Kwikee step without charge to me. I think having the selling dealer go to bat for me helped out. It appears to me that the main problem is that LCI did not require that the bolt be properly heat treated. Both of my broken bolts looked the same-- bad heat treat job!
EdB Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:57 PM   #26

My steps did the very same thing while on a trip . I called lip pert and had bolt delivered. Very poor design. My husband and I fixed the steps ourselves! I ordered two bolts so I will have extra. I want to know how to get the step support. I'm using leveling blocks under my first step so this doesn't happen again!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums macevoyj
macevoyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by macevoyj View Post
I want to know how to get the step support. I'm using leveling blocks under my first step so this doesn't happen again!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums macevoyj
Here you go....http://www.amazon.com/Camco-43671-Se.../dp/B0024ECHII
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:39 PM   #28

Just got the rig back. Here are the replacement steps. Look exactly the same as the old ones that broke...well, the bolt broke, not the steps. Anyhow, it does glide in and out much smoother than the original, but I believe it will eventually fail again. We have step supports from before, Camaraderie, can't use the ones you recommended on these steps as there is nothing to attach it to. I think I looked at those before and ended up settling on the ones I have. Anyway, attaching pics to show you what ForestRiver warranty covered for me. Will keep replacing steps under the warranty and once that runs out, will buy the better steps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1438457717206.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	84744   Click image for larger version

Name:	1438457736885.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	84745   Click image for larger version

Name:	1438457752292.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	84746  
Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:23 PM   #29

LL...your steps are exactly as mine so you CAN install the step "prop". Mounting hardware is included and requires you to drill through the steel at the coach side edge... two bolt holes. then the swivel on the post is again mounted nearest to the coach and the post swivels out towards the holding clip which is at the furthest out edge of the step. you have to check twice before drilling so that there is room for the post to swivel up and store securely. I'm gonna take a couple of pictures and try to post them so you can visualize it. If you don't see them by 8pm east coast time... just pm me an email address and I will forward. When you see the difference in support the post gives...you'll be happy!
There are also free standing adjustable posts you can buy from Camco but the downside is you have to remember to remove them before moving the coach. My install comes loose and hangs there well above road level when the steps retract.
Attached Images

2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown, replacement