Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2015, 02:18 PM   #1

Georgetown Orientation

We will be pulling the trigger on a 2015 Georgetown 378TS, probably on Tuesday after our test drive. As we understand it, it will take the dealer 3 days to prep the RV and then we go through a few hours of orientation on Saturday.

What is the best way to prepare for the orientation? Is there a checklist of questions we should make sure we get answered? Are there any kind of RV orientation videos on line?

Thanks in advance for any help
Sandy and Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:42 PM   #2

Inspect everything, open every door and drawer inside and out. Run the water on all faucets, shower and flush the toilet. Look for anything that is loose or broken. If you have a dinette or u shaped dinette, get the fill cushion and make sure it fits properly to make a sleeping space.

If there is evidence of the windshield leaking-don't buy that unit-

Get a front end alignment within 90 days and run the engine air conditioner when doing inspection and once per month after.
nicholsonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:45 PM   #3

Make sure leveling jacks are working and have them show you how to light the oven and have them show you how to switch the water heater from gas to electric
nicholsonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #4

Take notes especially on leveling, our dealer recommended doing that manually. Pictures of the new rig are always asked for and appreciated.
bmurph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Shirley View Post
We will be pulling the trigger on a 2015 Georgetown 378TS, probably on Tuesday after our test drive. As we understand it, it will take the dealer 3 days to prep the RV and then we go through a few hours of orientation on Saturday.

What is the best way to prepare for the orientation? Is there a checklist of questions we should make sure we get answered? Are there any kind of RV orientation videos on line?

Thanks in advance for any help
You can do search on this site for a PDI checklist. Several people have posted them on here.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:59 PM   #6

Here is one checklist. RV Inspection Checklist

I would make sure that you ensure you walk through the electrical fuses and especially make sure you're shown where the GFI receptacle for the refrig is at. Talking with new owners (like I was) one of the most confusing things that can happen is the refrig not operating well on batteries. In 2 out of the 3 new owner with problems, it was simply a reset of the GFI. It is hidden on the standard Georgetowns not were it is on the XLs.

Take your time - the natural tendency is to rush and use the new toy. Be thorough, take pics, take videos and do not take ownership with a long list of items that need to be repaired. Fix the issues then take ownership.

Biggest thing is ENJOY the new home.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:03 PM   #7

Along with all the previous great advice. Some dealerships offer the opportunity to stay in it overnight before you drive off their lot....our dealership does. If by chance they do, I highly recommend it....if you do you can flip every switch, turn every knob and identify any problems or potential problems.

Good luck and enjoy your new coach.

We had a Georgetown previous to the one we have now

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:01 PM   #8

When we bought our Georgetown bout 9 months ago, I went through the forum posts and compiled a list of things others found wrong with their coaches and some additional things I wanted to ask about. Here it is and feel free to use it or not! Good luck and don't sign ownership until everything is fixed to your satisfaction. Hold back a reasonable amount if they balk.

Georgetown PDI Items noted by others:

Have the dealer somehow hook something up to the cable jack in the basement to make sure you can see it on all TVs.

Same thing with antenna.

Have them fill your tires to 92 psi.

Check the front lower grill and make sure that each sheetmetal screw that secures it has a large washer. If not, it could come off going down the road.

Put your jacks down and your slides out and in then make sure you check the basement storage, see if anything is leaking, our hydraulic pump blew out.
Check the block that holds the door in the tracks going into the master bedroom. Ours was barley screwed into the floor. Also, several of the cabinets doors wouldn't stay shut when going down the road, so give them a quick pull to make sure they are good and tight.
Make sure all the seals on the windows have been put in correctly as several of ours were put in backwards causing trouble when we rolled them out and then back in.
Tap on the driver and passenger's side windows to make sure they are tight while they are fully closed. The sliding glass will rattle and drive you nuts if they are not adjusted properly.
Check both side privacy curtains as well as the front one for loose screws.
With the slides out check the black rubber wiper seal that is between the coach and the slide. Two of ours had chunks torn off at the top that would allow water in if it was windy and raining.
Be sure to fill your fresh water system. Run water in all sinks shower toilet etc. Check all lines and drains for leaks. Especially slow drips. Use both city water hose water feed and the also run the water pump and inspect it and the water heater for leaks.
Operate all appliances on both electric and gas. Run the generator and ac's. Run the microwave. Flush the toilets. And if they have full hookups drain the tanks to check the valves.
our silly rookie mistake was not checking the outside storage compartments for lights.
Check sound system with DVD for proper surround sound wiring in living room. Often messed up.
Have them setup the rig at the dealer and try or use everything 2 or 3 times.
Level the rig multiple times.
Have them show you how to turn on the TV amp booster for local antenna use.
Extend and retract all slides multiple times.
Check engine AC and heater
Have them show you how the coach battery disconnect switch is located.
Make sure electric steps are not loose or wobble. Kwikee steps...r good.
Check roof AC and have them show you how the thermostat works.
Have them give you at least 2 sets of every key especially the big T handle ones for the hood and the coach battery location.
Look at all the hydraulic lines for any bubbling or leaks around any of the valves, levelers.
Take the awning out and in a few times. Check wning lights
Have they filled the propane tank full?
Will they give you a full tank of gas?
Make sure you have all the equipment documents.
Did they check the tire pressures that are labeled on the wall behind the drivers seat?
You should have touchup paint for every color and a clear coat as well as the numbers of the paint type.
Check the TV and stereo system
Plan on at least an hour to go over the rig and make sure you and dealer document all issues on paper. (It took us 3.5 hours)
Make sure they forward your ownership to Forest River so you have the chassis registered in your name at FORD Motor Company.
Go up on the roof and look at all the stains from water and look for damaged sealant around all vents and things
Refrigerator hose drain check & loosen if needed to prevent inside draining!

QUESTIONS FOR PDI
How to operate & fill propane. Propane monitor switch/on/off. Shut off.
Furnace operation & maintenance...
Fridge Operation AC & Propane. Pilot light. Level Check. Restart after storage. Outside compartment explanation.
Level System Operation. Location & key components. Interlock? Fuse/breaker loction? Manual bypass?
Dash Radio operation. Surround sound & switching operation. Location of speakers & sub.
TV's & Antenna ...switching antenna ON/OFF...cable TV connections/use....Sat connection. How brackets for TV's work.
Coach battery location/size/disconnect. Parasitic loads? Chassis battery location/disconnect
Alternator location & charging regimen & components (BIRD, Sloenoids, Boost Switch)
Converter location/size/regimen...connection breaker & fuses
Oil change...filter, drain locations + type & amount of oil.
Tire pressure, valve extentions. Jack points. FRAME WELDS?
Seat, couch and dinette operation.
Camera operations rear & side.
Location of DC outlets and AC outlets and fuse boxes. Note fuse range and types for spares.
Lighting switches review + bulb types & fixture operation for spares.
Slides operation and MANUAL override procedure.
Black & gray water tank locations & dump operation + use of flushout valve.
Shore power operation & main breaker + breaker panel for AC/DC.
Generator operation & startup + filters locations & oil change...transfer switch location/ops
Oven/strove/micro operation. Microwave breaker location.
Operation of shades/blinds...power front & manual sides.
Interlock systems. Steps, slides, parking break etc?
Water system review, filter, pump location, low point dump, check valves, tank location.
Head operation & maintenance. Fantastic fan & vents.
Access and change process for headlights & tail lights + spare bulbs.

We took our video camera because you will NEVER remember all of this
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:17 PM   #9

Have them show you the valves to open and valves to close when winterizing and de winterizing. Owners manual doesn't do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:48 AM   #10

Empty your grey and black water tanks a few times. On our first outing the grey water valve would not seat properly so we had a constant slow leak/drip. Turns out that when the tank got drilled for its plumbing the plastic cut out remnants were left inside the tank. A couple of tank flushes and the plastic got caught in the valve assembly. Easy job, did it myself, only took 30 minutes, but I sure am glad that it was the grey water tank and not the black water.
Watertown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:19 AM   #11

camaraderie - WOW. Nice work, very nice work!!!
Old 03-30-2015, 05:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
camaraderie - WOW. Nice work, very nice work!!!
Agree. Nice work.
If one follows that checklist and something is wrong you should find it. It covers everything on mine that was wrong at the time of delivery. (Which I didn't find at the time)

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:33 PM   #13

Thanks guys...I really should clean it up a bit grammar wise...but it served its' purpose for us. Glad you liked it...feel free to share with others who need something.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #14

I had them show me how to retract the slide manually.
That took a few of them to figure out & demonstrate! LoL !
GrumpyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:38 PM   #15

Don't forget you can always come here and ask questions, these guys really know their stuff.
bmurph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:08 PM   #16

I am new to motorhomes, I have a 2014 Georgetown 360 with the house type refrigerator. The question I have is, does it work while driving down the road.
Jerry3831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:47 PM   #17
WDK

It works on your batteries which are constantly being charged by by your charging system and converted to AC by your inverter. Your biggest problem is dry camping in how long will your batteries last though you can use your generator to bring them back up and or install some solar panels.

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry3831 View Post
I am new to motorhomes, I have a 2014 Georgetown 360 with the house type refrigerator. The question I have is, does it work while driving down the road.
As WDK pointed out it will run off the batteries while driving down the road. Just don't forget to turn the inverter on as I did on our last trip.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:43 PM   #19
Happily Retired Member

When the two main slide outs are out, look under them on the outer edges where they ride on the guides. Unless Forest River started fixing them, the wood will be starting to gouge out. The fix is for them to install metal rails for the slide out to ride in. My 378 and many if not all on this forum have the problem.

2013 Ford Escape on Landgrebe tow dolly
Mickeystamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown