Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #21

I just got back from an 8-day, 1600 mile trip from Palmdale, CA to Boise, Idaho, over many steep mountain passes, and didn't have a lick of trouble.

The old gal took us and our Jeep there in style and comfort!
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds342 View Post
I just got back from an 8-day, 1600 mile trip from Palmdale, CA to Boise, Idaho, over many steep mountain passes, and didn't have a lick of trouble.

The old gal took us and our Jeep there in style and comfort!
Nice!!

Good to know. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-20-2015, 09:27 PM   #23

Right in the middle of a 2000m trip from CT to FL and back, in a 351DS, no issues at all yet. I did however see 5 other 351's in 2 days - must be a popular model!! Lol
Starboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:20 PM   #24
Weekender

Had to add my two cents! We just got back to Florida from a trouble-free trip to Virginia. Beautiful ride and everything performed wonderfully. I-95 in N.Carolina and especially Virginia could use some repaving. Some of the roadway patches even had potholes! Managed 8.5 MPG. Not bad for a loaded 34 foot RV. We're now really looking forward to our annual trip to the Keys.
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #25

Awesome guys!

Keep chiming in!

These Georgetown coaches are unbelievable values.

Here's mine this year, before the snow fully melted....

Old 06-21-2015, 10:30 PM   #26

We purchased a new 2014 377xl in Nov. and we now have over 5000 miles on we left from Sask. Canada and drove down to NM, AZ. for 5 weeks and had no real problems with it. since then it has had to go back to our dealer for some repairs, which have been all cleaned up and are now ready to do some weekend trips and looking forward to our next big trip in August to Vegas for 20 days we really think this unit was a great investment to enjoy.

kdcamper 2014 377xl towing 2013 rav4

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
kdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:43 AM   #27
2006 Georgetown 340

We are new to the RV world and my wife and I are getting ready to take a trip from Ohio to Mt Rushmore next week. Any advice for traveling that distance (i.e. stop after x miles to check tires etc.)?

We are planning to stop half way and boondock. We were concerned where we might refill our fresh water. Any experience with this midway through a trip?

Thanks in advance,
compint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by compint View Post
We are new to the RV world and my wife and I are getting ready to take a trip from Ohio to Mt Rushmore next week. Any advice for traveling that distance (i.e. stop after x miles to check tires etc.)?

We are planning to stop half way and boondock. We were concerned where we might refill our fresh water. Any experience with this midway through a trip?

Thanks in advance,
After I retired I slowed down and enjoyed our trips. If you have the time and plan your trip well you should be able to leave at 9AM in the morning after a nice breakfast and get into your next campground between 1pm and 3pm. That way you have time to setup and relax before seeing the sites.
So to answer your question about driving time I would say about 250 miles at a reasonable speed with a few stops on the way.
If you are all stressed out for driving too long that makes the trip a disaster.

Hope this helps you.
Have fun and enjoy your new home on wheels.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckSix View Post
Awesome guys!

Keep chiming in!

These Georgetown coaches are unbelievable values.

Here's mine this year, before the snow fully melted....
Yes they are CheckSix! I have many friends that have diesel pushers that range from $250,000 to $850,000 and they say they enjoy it more in a diesel. LOL When they stop for diesel they have to get a loan from the local bank because e they are paying thousands of dollars a month on their load. A basic oil change costs them $650 - $800 and yes they can go more miles without an oil change . LOL.
For my initial investment for my Georgetown of $110,000 and its V-10 gas engine I can go any where they go and have a lot more money to spend on other things while travelling. Oh I forgot to mention vehicle insurance is a lot cheaper with our Georgetown's.

Yes, we have issues but I consider them minor inconveniences compared to some of the horror stories with diesel motorhomes.

My 2012 Georgetown with 36,000 miles is doing great and 2 or 3 thousand miles trips mean nothing to it.
See you all in Goshen Indiana in August. Only a mere 1,800 miles trip one way.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by compint View Post

Thanks in advance,

We drove the no.2 highway from Ont. back to Sask. thru Duluth, Bemidji their are a lot of great campgrounds thru out that area, should not have trouble finding water, when we leave on a trip we will drive 350 to 600 miles a day just to get their, I don't have trouble with driving that distance as we leave early in morning and try and stop around 5-6 at night, I like to get to my destination and then enjoy sometimes we will only drive 100 miles once were their. So I think it is really up to you on far to drive in a day, especially if your retired or have lots of time.

kdcamper 2014 Georgetown

kdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:15 PM   #31

Just finished a 3 thousand mile trip from California to Monument Valley, Colorado Springs, Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone with no problems. MH ran perfectly, all systems go, and had a wonderful time. I am envious of 9mpg, as we got about 7 pulling our Ford Escape. Wonderful weather and just a great time!

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconsults View Post
Just finished a 3 thousand mile trip from California to Monument Valley, Colorado Springs, Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone with no problems. MH ran perfectly, all systems go, and had a wonderful time. I am envious of 9mpg, as we got about 7 pulling our Ford Escape. Wonderful weather and just a great time!

Happy Trails, Forrest

Nice to have those perfect trips. I recently completed one as well. 7 mpg is consistent with what I got. Like to know what the guys who get 9+ MPG are smoking😆😆

Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:05 AM   #33

Georgetown performed flawlessly....

Well, wrapped up our 2 week round trip from CT to Disney's Ft. Wilderness in a 351DS. Overall, simply a great time.

Saw 12, yes 12 Georgetowns on the way, either driving or camping.

Issues on the road:
-calcium deposits clogging up every faucet. Flushed the hot water heater and problem so far proving.
- various fuses tripped - just reset and go. This is not really a single issue, just normal occurrences.
- went over a truck tire remnant on the highway, bent the generator exhaust a little and hit the black/grey wastewater pipe hard enough to damage both valves and had the entire assembly leaking, it was nasty. Found the part at a rv store nearby, spent 2 hours replacing both valves and the drain assembly. Actually like how it is now more than the original solution.
- one of the corners on the front slide doesn't fully come out when slide is extended. Needs to extend maybe 3" more to fully seal. I'll take the cover off the slide assembly today to look but probably will take it in to get adjusted.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #34

Just spent another trouble free weekend in ours going to a few different racetracks in the Midwest.
bmurph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:49 PM   #35

Starboard, can you post pics of your repair of the grey/blak water fix?

2013 Georgetown 351 DS
MasterTow Dolly 88"
2010 VW Jetta TDI Wagon
Watertown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:31 PM   #36

Sure.

I took out the entire assembly including the valves, replaced it all. The drain is now inside the compartment, which I think is nicer and there's nothing external to hit/damage on the road. I just insert the drain hose from the bottom and attach.

Also - The hole in the bottom compartment is now a 4" screw lid like in other compartments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4573.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	337.5 KB
ID:	82202  
Old 07-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard View Post
Sure.

I took out the entire assembly including the valves, replaced it all. The drain is now inside the compartment, which I think is nicer and there's nothing external to hit/damage on the road. I just insert the drain hose from the bottom and attach.

Also - The hole in the bottom compartment is now a 4" screw lid like in other compartments.
I did the same thing but mine hit a dead raccoon and turned it backwards. Had a mobile service tech rebuild it. I leave a clear plastic extension on it when set up in a camp ground and the sewer hose attaches similar to factory setup.

I have a photo but haven't been able to decode getting it from the cloud to the posting.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:35 PM   #38

That's a really good idea as well.. In general, I am a fan of enclosed systems - no exposed plumbing.

Tags
georgetown