Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #1

Georgetown questions

I've been thinking about ordering a Georgetown 335 and would be interested in hearing from folks who have that floorplan, or Georgetowns in general. I also had questions about the residential refrigerators, I've heard they have a limited run time on battery alone, (20 hrs, and I guess that's running the batteries low enough to damage them), and wonder if it's a worthwhile option.Thanks for any replies.
Six Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:42 PM   #2

The only question I can probably answer is mine, which is an XL, came with a dedicated inverter for the residential fridge and it has an automatic shutoff so as not to drain the battery completely. The battery run time is pretty limited, don't know if it's 20 or more or less, but it feels less than 20 specially if you are running other stuff. I have read many posts where people have said they woke up in the morning with their fridge off because the battery had gotten low enough to shut off.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:53 PM   #3

The new 15's come with a dedicated 2000 watt now. I was running the inverter only for 3 days and still had 1/3 battery life left.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2010 Keystone Laredo 310RE 5th wheel "sold"
2015 Georgetown 351 "sold"
2016 Coachmen Sportscoach 404RB
mack1roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies, still trying to decide if the residential fridge is worth it, can't understand why they don't have the four door two-way fridge as an option. I also would like some opinions from 335 owners about their units in particular and Georgetowns in general. Would love to have an XL but budget says no. Thank you.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #5

Six Pack. We went from our TT to the 351 with the residential fridge. At first we were skeptical without the ability to do gas or electric on the fridge - we often park our RV in a storage lot for 4-5 days while visiting relatives. BUT after 4 weeks, we have come to really enjoy the convenience and the feeling of home that the fridge offers. No problems on the inverter.

We opted for the 351 - we wanted the bunks for our grandkids.

The V10 handles the unit on the highway very well.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #6

We have the XL 378 and the residential fridge. We love the fridge. But it only gives us between 5 -6 hours per charge. Not really that great but when it is in storage I unplug the converter/charger and then plug the charger into a 110 v outlet. The batteries stay charged and the fridge stays running. I don't know if this is good for the batteries but have been doing this for almost 2 years and no issues.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 12-20-2014, 07:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
We have the XL 378 and the residential fridge. We love the fridge. But it only gives us between 5 -6 hours per charge. Not really that great but when it is in storage I unplug the converter/charger and then plug the charger into a 110 v outlet. The batteries stay charged and the fridge stays running. I don't know if this is good for the batteries but have been doing this for almost 2 years and no issues.

Why are you unplugging the converter? Just plug your 110 into 50 amp cord with connector. You can switch off converter but not necessary.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #8

I only have a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter and at my storage unit all I have is a 110 outlet. At home I keep my 50 amp plugged in all the time.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:44 PM   #9

Quote:

I am curious why you only get 5-6 hours. I usually get 3-4 days. I have tested that twice. I stay plugged in at the house but twice I have came home from a trip and intentionally only ran the inverter for the fridge checked it everyday and on the 3rd day still had 1/3 into the battery.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:09 PM   #10

Good question. I may just have to check it out again. I did it once and it ran less than 6 hours.
I'll let every one know later this week.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #11

I have a 2013 378XL and am getting about 6 hours also. When I prepare coach here the night before for early morning departure and leave residential fridge on battery only when I depart the next morning the inverter has normally kicked off due to low battery. I'd be interested in knowing what's the secret to being able to get at least 24 hours on battery power if anyone figures this one out. I have no idea what size my inverter is as it is placed to the right of fridge with small access wooden vent on right bottom hallway wall and when I remove cover not enough room to see much in there. Looks like it would be a real pain to try and remove or even find a reset button on it without pulling fridge and accessing from other side. My 2013 378XL came with only 2 house batteries and I think they are 12volt. Would have to do some additional tray welding to get a third battery beside these two under steps.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:46 AM   #12

I have found 6 to 8 hours running the residential fridge on batteries to be the norm for me also. I have the two 12V battery setup. I did get 12 hrs on a test once before the batteries got to 1/3 charge. This was running on a cold night parked here at the house with nothing else on. Since we don't dry camp it is not an issue for us. Love the residential fridge and would not own another RV without one.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:34 AM   #13

Well I think I found the difference then I have 4 coach batteries on the right side. Also when I tested I had nothing else on ( except for the smoke detectors ). I would get 72 hours before seeing 1/3. I also actually have room on the tray if I wanted to add another.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:34 AM   #14

Quote:

Wrapperman, just curious why you leave the fridge running during storage. I have a Berk and residential fridge and love it. We also don't dry camp, so it's not an issue for us.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #15

Georgetown questions

No big reason. I plug in the converter so the batteries stays charged. I just don't take out any ice that may be left over and keep the doors close cause I guess I'm a little lazy. But then again we try to take it out at least once a month to go somewhere. Even if it is just 50 miles away.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #16

I have a 335. Don't have a residential fridge. We have just a standard single door propane/electric fridge. We spend the winters in it full time. We have found the size of the fridge to be a non issue. We love our 335 floor plan. Never have seen an RV that was perfect.

Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #17

Thanks for the replies. I got the 20 hour number from a Forest River rep, I was asking about a 2015 so I assume he was taking four batteries and larger inverter into consideration. I have a Sunseeker now with a six cu. ft. fridge and I know the Georgetown comes with eight cu. ft. The six is not big enough for necessary items (adult beverages), my wife suggested I drink less but that's not an option. Anyone have any opinions on standard Georgetown (non XL) problems, reliability, fit, finish, handling, good, bad or otherwise? Thanks.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #18

Six Pack,
We've got a '14 329TS, and we couldn't be happier. The handling wasn't great until I adjusted the tire pressure to 92PSI all around. We had a few pieces of cabinet trim come loose (added some more glue and finishing nails), a headlight fell out (search for my post about it), but nothing major, and FR was very responsive and backed the product 100%. We did have the dealer install a porcelain toilet instead of the original plastic, and a Kenwood DNX691HD in-dash GPS/stereo/DVD player instead of the original head unit. It still sounds terrible in the cab due to the fact that all of the speaker are in the rear in the living area. I plan on adding some speakers somewhere in the cab as others have done. Like I said, we couldn't be happier, and would definitely buy it again. You can't beat the bang for the buck you get with a Georgetown.
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:57 PM   #19

We have a 2014 351DS and have been very happy with it. All of the issues we have had have been cosmetic, with one exception, and have been taken care if by FR and our dealer. The one exception is a leaking black water tank flush issue but have read of XL's having that problem also. Did the CHF and aired the tires up to the recommended 92lbs and it handles great. Can't say how the ride is compared to an XL as I haven't driven one. From what I have read the XL's do have a more comfortable ride.
I would rather have an XL model with the extra cargo space and heavier chassis but just couldn't quite fit it into the budget. We love our 351 but would like to upgrade to the 352XL in a few years.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:29 PM   #20

I've got a smaller 2015 G'town but we are very happy with it and no problems to speak of. I added a steering stabilizer up front for safety and to make longer distance driving less work but the base unit drives well and we are pleased with the value of Georgetown. The fiberglass roof was a big deal for me for the longer term and we've already been in a few places where branches have scraped our roof with no damage. I'd have been really worried with a rubber roof.
I don't think G'town makes the BEST gas coach...but it is better than anything in the same price range IMO.
As to the fridge...we have the gas/electric and it works like a charm. I would definitely get 4 6V batteries installed if I were going with a residential...and probably would go that route IF a lot of boondocking was not in my plans and I had that option at a reasonable cost.
Good luck with your decision making!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown