Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2018, 02:39 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcluvtohunt View Post
I bet the full body paint is pretty. What is the length of that rig?
37.6 feet
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:54 PM   #62

I hope I'm in the right thread to tell about my GT5 unit....Thought I would add my 2 cents since we have owned our 36B5 now for just over a year...It's been a good ride for the most part, only a few annoying issues. We had some sort of generator faults while dry camping last year, not sure if it was because it ran over 3 hours or maybe a fluke, but it faulted and we used a neighbors power for a couple hours and next morning we were able to use our generator and it hasn't had any more issues this year. Another thing, is the slide motors, we had one on the king bed slide die while in Pensacola in June, I was able to get it out and we were able to close the thing with me pushing on that side until it was closed. well, the other one died last week for some unknown reason, we have only used this slide at max..maybe 12 times..so at best 12 in and 12 out, I have a 8 year old with the caable drives on a tag trailer that have never had an issue period. We got this one replace last week at our dealership, and warranty covered it, they have always been quick to do my repairs and servicing and always friendly, so no problem with my dealer. Then here's something strange, all 3 of my vent covers deteriorated and crumbled up at about a years time, I replaced them all this summer. I've had 8 campers of various types since 1989 and I have never seen covers rot away that fast, some were 8 to 10 years before needing replaced. My 2011 Open Range Tag has never had any issues at all so I can't compared it with any others that I have ever had. I have 7500 miles on my unit now and hope to keep using it as time permits...I'm passing this one just as an FYI and also to caution folks to get extended warranty if you can. I wish Forest River would take time to check out the products they buy for our RV's. I understand making a profit is key but so is a happy buyer who might be a return customer. Happy Camping and Safe Travels..!!
Retired Electrician, Miller Brewery, 31 yrs.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:56 AM   #63

I had the same issue with the vent covers. I too have a 2018 36GT5 and had the same issue with the vent covers. In 1 years both deteriorated! I temporary put silicone on some cracks on one vent about 2 months ago until i had time to purchase new and replace. A week ago while driving from a campsite, here in So Cal we had extremely high winds. When i parked a home, I noticed the other vent lid was gone! Completely! And I know for sure it was closed since the rod that run across the vent cover was in the closed position. I think FR uses the cheapest quality, no name, super thin vent covers they can buy. I immediately ordered 2 new covers on Amazon And replaced Them both.
paro4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:13 AM   #64

I think we might have been willing to pay another 50 bucks for good covers. Its all about making a dollar, with no regard to quality. They seem to me to be that car dealer who wants to sell everyone in town at least one car and not worried about whether they come back for a second one. Thanks for your reply. Have a great day...!
Old 11-18-2018, 08:46 AM   #65

I put the Camco vent covers over the vents. Hopefully protect them from the sun and make them last a bit longer. It also allows the vents to be open when it’s raining and if they do deteriorate they shouldn’t leak. Gives you a bit of leeway to replace them. I agree though. They should use better quality parts.
BirdeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:54 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I hope I'm in the right thread to tell about my GT5 unit....Thought I would add my 2 cents since we have owned our 36B5 now for just over a year...It's been a good ride for the most part, only a few annoying issues. We had some sort of generator faults while dry camping last year, not sure if it was because it ran over 3 hours or maybe a fluke, but it faulted and we used a neighbors power for a couple hours and next morning we were able to use our generator and it hasn't had any more issues this year. Another thing, is the slide motors, we had one on the king bed slide die while in Pensacola in June, I was able to get it out and we were able to close the thing with me pushing on that side until it was closed. well, the other one died last week for some unknown reason, we have only used this slide at max..maybe 12 times..so at best 12 in and 12 out, I have a 8 year old with the caable drives on a tag trailer that have never had an issue period. We got this one replace last week at our dealership, and warranty covered it, they have always been quick to do my repairs and servicing and always friendly, so no problem with my dealer. Then here's something strange, all 3 of my vent covers deteriorated and crumbled up at about a years time, I replaced them all this summer. I've had 8 campers of various types since 1989 and I have never seen covers rot away that fast, some were 8 to 10 years before needing replaced. My 2011 Open Range Tag has never had any issues at all so I can't compared it with any others that I have ever had. I have 7500 miles on my unit now and hope to keep using it as time permits...I'm passing this one just as an FYI and also to caution folks to get extended warranty if you can. I wish Forest River would take time to check out the products they buy for our RV's. I understand making a profit is key but so is a happy buyer who might be a return customer. Happy Camping and Safe Travels..!!
Strange! They must have changed something! I have a 2017 364TS and all the vent covers look like new!
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:28 PM   #67

Thanks for the reply...I don't know what they did to change. I have to assume they changed manufacturers of them, and maybe they are Chinese produced. Whatever it is, all 3 of the cracked and rotted away after a year or year and half. I changed them all 3 this past spring and summer. we went to Myrtle beach and while driving, one of the grandsons remarked about water dripping back in the rear bedroom bathroom...it had blown about half of it away and it was raining...it stopped and so I didn't stop to put anything over it until we got to our destination. I'm planning on installing the vent covers next time I have the chance. I did as a service guy at a dealers recommended and put a product called 303 on them, he says it'll make them last a little longer. We shall see.
Ok have a great day everyone. I appreciate the replies etc...I hope the Georgetown folks see some of our posts and concerns and make some changes for the better.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:22 PM   #68

I think this thread may be mixing vent "lids" and vent "covers". It's the lids that have issues.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:47 PM   #69

Yes it is the lids so I put the covers over the lids so they could be open if it’s raining.
BirdeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:26 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I think we might have been willing to pay another 50 bucks for good covers. Its all about making a dollar, with no regard to quality. They seem to me to be that car dealer who wants to sell everyone in town at least one car and not worried about whether they come back for a second one. Thanks for your reply. Have a great day...!
Exactly!
paro4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:07 AM   #71
Lca
Red River Camper

Buying a GT5 31L5

Be careful buying a unit in KY. They will title units that have been flooded and otherwise heavily damaged and many states will not give title to a unit with such a title.

With that caution aside...we have a 31L5 and love it!

We were able to find a slightly ised one at considerably lower price than you are seeing. It took us about 8 months to find it though.

Good luck and happy camping.
Lca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown