Old 09-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #1

Georgetown Steering

I recently purchased a 2011 Georgetown 337. I've driven it a total of about 1000mi. The steering seems to me to be a little sloppy - especially on high crowned roads and windy conditions. This is my first class A MH so what I'm experiencing may be the norm for that type of rig. I had a Winne class C prior to this and it also had a lot of "wander" in the steering department. I had a "Steer- Safe" system installed and it made a world of difference. I'm considering doing the same thing for the G'town but want to be sure it will result in an improvement before I make the investment.

Has anyone out there resorted to after market stabilizers to counter steering issues? If so, did it improve the driving experience?

Old 09-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Lottery Non-Winner

I have not augmented my steering with any aftermarket appliances. I experience a little bit of "loose" steering especially on high crowns and when windy. I think it is just the nature of the beast.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #3

Never again will I spend the money for aftermarket steering pieces...it really made no difference on my class A...it is just the nature of the beast..save yout bucks...buy yourself something else you can use on the road..like a nice beer cooler .....LOL>
Old 09-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
Anacortesians

It's an 11-ton truck. Don't expect a Cadillac driving experience. Sure, you could spend a couple of thou, but I'm not sure it would be worth it unless you're full timing.

How many miles a year do you drive? For us, it'e about 4000. Do I want to spend the equivalent of two years' camping fees to improve the steering for 4000 miles a year? Absolutely not. I'll live with it.

Remember, Ford doesn't optimise the F53 for the RV market.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:33 PM   #5

I agree with bendrver my Gtwn 378 does wander and high crown roads give you a white knuckle experience. I would also go with Safe-T-Plus Steering Control (Campingworld $475.99). I don't know about you folks but the safety of my wife and myself is worth a heck of a lot more than 5 bills no matter if we drive 100 miles or 25,000 miles a year. The longer I can stay on the green side of the grass the better. We have both came to close to being on the dirt side in this past couple of years so don't try and put a price excuse on it and possibly your life.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #6

Check the Thread "Steering Stablizer" 9-17-11 it discusses steering stablization in a very positive manner, fyi.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
I agree with bendrver my Gtwn 378 does wander and high crown roads give you a white knuckle experience. I would also go with Safe-T-Plus Steering Control (Campingworld $475.99). I don't know about you folks but the safety of my wife and myself is worth a heck of a lot more than 5 bills no matter if we drive 100 miles or 25,000 miles a year. The longer I can stay on the green side of the grass the better. We have both came to close to being on the dirt side in this past couple of years so don't try and put a price excuse on it and possibly your life.

I don't own a MH, but wouldn't you think that an item such as this should be standard on the unit considering the safety factor? Just saying.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I don't own a MH, but wouldn't you think that an item such as this should be standard on the unit considering the safety factor? Just saying.
Unfortunately everything comes down to price. The manufacturers only meet the minimum requirements and keep the price down. Chassis comes from Ford and they don't install it so FR isn't going to add it. Same issues with frames unprotected and rusting, not the chassis but the framing FR built the motorhome body with. I would have gladly paid a bit more and have the additional safety.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
Anacortesians

I'll bet that owners of box vans on the F53 chassis rarely spend an extra $500 for steering enhancements. I may be lucky in that my 325 wanders a bit, but has never put me off the blacktop and into the grass in the 5000 miles we've done so far.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
I'll bet that owners of box vans on the F53 chassis rarely spend an extra $500 for steering enhancements. I may be lucky in that my 325 wanders a bit, but has never put me off the blacktop and into the grass in the 5000 miles we've done so far.
Thats the nice thing about freedom of choice, you can do what you feel you should and not have to concern yourself with others opinion, IMHO.