Old 07-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #11

We’ve only had our rig for just over 8 months – and have picked up numerous great ideas from this site. All we need is time and money to get them all done. Here is a list of what we’ve accomplished so far in the order of modification and our wish list is at the bottom.

Current Upgrades/Conversions

Valve stem extenders on the rear wheels – makes checking and filling tires a breeze, no longer a chore.

Welded on rear casters (training wheels!) on the back to prevent occasional back-end drag when pulling out of some parking lots.

Wireless Oregon Scientific exterior temp gauge – linked to an interior thermometer display that usually sits on our dinette table. Shows inside and outside temps.

Wireless thermometers in the refrigerator and freezer with magnetic dual digital display on the door.

4-inch memory foam topper for the mattress.

Replaced all of interior bulbs with LEDs – huge difference on battery draw.

Installed two Fan-tastic vents – one in the bathroom and one in the living area – with remote controls. This is the best investment we have made for the RV

Foresr River paid to replace driver and passenger seats in the cockpit – due to major cracking in the “pleather.”

Installed Lawfive’s solution to prevent siphoning from fresh water tank – tried it over 4th of July and it works!

Smart Light 1000 automatic porch light - cool.

Made my own set of ten 12” X 12” X 2” jack pads out of exterior grade plywood and sealed them with Thompson’s water seal.

Interior frig fan – per recommendation from NWJeeper – bought it but haven’t tried it out yet.

My wife just bought some carpet runners that just happen to fit the width of the hallway perfectly as well as the width between the dinette and sofa with slides in and they match our carpet color.

Future upgrades/conversions - wish list

New showerhead
Wire step light to porch light
Satellite antenna and receiver
Swap out the bedroom CRT TV for an LCD model
New speakers for the in-dash stereo
Tire pressure monitor
4 6V Golf Cart Batteries
Solar panels
Winning the lottery to pay for it all

Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:43 PM   #12

Mods

You guys make me feel like a real piker.

Rewired the front TV and entertainment center. Yes, I agree the installer must have been reading instructions upside down.

Added a 5gal propane tank to the basement in a holder so the grill can move anywhere with its own gas supply.

Replaced the dinette and chairs with three "400" dog crates, cages for you uneducated.

Did the anti-siphon thing we discussed in a prior thread.

Wired in a Progressive Industries in-line 50amp surge protector. I think this baby may have already paid for itself!

To do list:

Custom table top to go over the dog crates.

New hardwood flooring to withstand three sixty pound Portuguese Water dogs bringing in agility ring dirt, water trial drippings or just fun, run around mud.

Koni shocks.

Some way to lower or slope the darn awning so it isn't 12 feet high and provides more shades for us and the dogs.

A better and more efficient way to store, setup and take down my dump hose. As long as I'm on that side wrestling a 50 amp power cable out of the power storage bin in cold weather is a bear and needs some easier process as well.

Happy Trails,

George
391SE UFO Chassis
No toad yet.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:37 AM   #13
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawfive View Post
To do list:

Some way to lower or slope the darn awning so it isn't 12 feet high and provides more shades for us and the dogs.

A better and more efficient way to store, setup and take down my dump hose. As long as I'm on that side wrestling a 50 amp power cable out of the power storage bin in cold weather is a bear and needs some easier process as well.

I agree with the awning situation, don't have a solution other than one of those slide in sunshades.

As for the dump hose this is my remedy. We have the bath and a half so there's two waste tanks. I have the various lengths so no matter how the sewer hook up may be at a campsite I'm basically set. Here is the link to the album showing my solution.

Forest River Forums - cfsoistman's Album: Sewer Hose Holder

As for the cord the only time it's easy to put away is when it sits in the sun on an 80 degree plus day. Otherwise it's like trying to put a 25ft piece of bamboo away. I wish they would have come up the Twist/Lock end so all we would have to do is fish that short end up into the compartment as opposed to pulling the whole thing through in order to put it away. I'm still thinking about setting that up but in the meantime the fight continues.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #14

Sewer Hose Storage

CF, thanks for the reply. You were kind enough to post this before. My thoughts are to figure out a way to insert, suspend or somehow mount a pipe under the coach to hold the sewer line when it isn't in use. Pick the short hose storage pipe or the long hose storage pipe, take the cap off, pull out the hose and hookup. Reverse and you are out of there. After a long weekend of running dogs in agility the 45 minutes to tear down and pack up are a GIANT pain. So, I'm looking for max convenience and speed. So far I ain't found it.

George
Old 07-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #15

Ours has spent most of its time at the dealer so I havent done much......

Maxxair Vent Covers......

Custom made drawers under booth Dinette for extra storage........

Hoping to do an inverter and a battery upgrade if I can figure out what is the right thing to do.......
mr.ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #16

Very clever

[QUOTE=cfsoistman;52890]
[QUOTE]

This is quite clever. I like the use of cutting board for the end pieces - cheap and readily available. It may be the reason I get new cutting boards for the kitchen and retire the old ones for new purposes!
What did you use to cut the disks? Standard hole saw? Please don't tell me you have a drill press which would make this really easy.

Another reason I like the cutting board material is that it's impervious to bleach but also withstands heat (the sani-cycle on a commercial dishwasher for example) so you sanitize it readily. I have an ex-cutting board that proves that it won't withstand the heat on the stove top however (now children's play kitchen toys).

Do you find the hoses are still wet inside? Would you use a different shape for the end piece (like a triangle) to promote air circulation?
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #17
CLASS "A" Senior Member

[QUOTE=2Susan;52914][QUOTE=cfsoistman;52890]
Quote:

This is quite clever. I like the use of cutting board for the end pieces - cheap and readily available. It may be the reason I get new cutting boards for the kitchen and retire the old ones for new purposes!
What did you use to cut the disks? Standard hole saw? Please don't tell me you have a drill press which would make this really easy.

Another reason I like the cutting board material is that it's impervious to bleach but also withstands heat (the sani-cycle on a commercial dishwasher for example) so you sanitize it readily. I have an ex-cutting board that proves that it won't withstand the heat on the stove top however (now children's play kitchen toys).

Do you find the hoses are still wet inside? Would you use a different shape for the end piece (like a triangle) to promote air circulation?
The smaller inside hole was cut with an 1-1/8" hole saw in a drill press, but a regular drill will work as well as long as you clamp the board. It takes a while because the teeth really hold on to the material. The other pieces I cut on a bandsaw.
As for the inside of the hoses being wet. I usually lean them against something so the majority of the water runs out the bottom. They aren't 100% water tight. This is the first thing I do when packing up so they have the most possible time to drain. They are the last thing I put away. When I put the hoses away there may be a little clean water left but not enough to worry about. The compartment is dry by the time I get home. I would think any shape ends will be fine as long as they can't slip inside the pipe.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 07-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #18
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
CF, thanks for the reply. You were kind enough to post this before. My thoughts are to figure out a way to insert, suspend or somehow mount a pipe under the coach to hold the sewer line when it isn't in use. Pick the short hose storage pipe or the long hose storage pipe, take the cap off, pull out the hose and hookup. Reverse and you are out of there. After a long weekend of running dogs in agility the 45 minutes to tear down and pack up are a GIANT pain. So, I'm looking for max convenience and speed. So far I ain't found it.

George
I saw someone post on here about using PVC Fence Post 4x4 with a cap on each end. They mentioned Home Depot or Lowes.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 07-23-2010, 11:55 PM   #19

Quote:

I noticed while camping with some other folks a few weeks ago that he had the same power awning we do but that it was sloped downward quite a bit. In examining his to mine I found that the only difference was the small arms that span from the wall bracket to the awning arm that has the gas struts attached to them were quite a bit shorter on his than mine. I think this must be the way they set the slope of these awnings is by changing the length of these arms.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #20

Let's see if i can remember what I did and what I like to do.

1. Installed Power sun shades in place of the sun visors.
2. Added a hose spray in the toilet area a long with a light swith that the little wife can reach.
3.Added a new bedroom 22" DVD combo to replace the very poor Westinghouse tv that came with it. Actually installed it in the basement..
4. Added a 12v mounted fan in bedroom to circulate the air better
5. New area rug for living room 5' x 8' keeps carpet cleaner.
6. Full lenght mud flap, keeps tow car from stone damage.
7. Made up a hose and funnel to add oil to motor. Can't beileve where the oil fill is located.
8. Added dome stalite for Direct TV
9. I know there is more but I can't think of them right now.
Would like to do a lot more but some things I'm just not good at..Let me correct that, there are a lot of things I'm not good at.
And of course there are things I don't even know I need...until I see what you guys have done, so keep it up and let's hear from everyone who has ever added anything to their rv.

Joe & Jeannette
National Park, NJ
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Towed