Old 07-25-2010, 11:59 PM   #21

Awning

Maybe this one deserves a new thread but the height of the awning is an issue. NW Jeeper commented earlier that he had seen the same awning at a lower angle resulting from a shorter strut length. That sounds appealing but could be risky if the stress on the motor rolling up the shade is too high due to the severe angle. I don't remember much of my various physics classes but there must be some vector analysis that would provide the answer. The other way to try this is to fab some shorter struts and just listen to the motor strain.

Am I the only owner who dislikes the lack of really good shading?

Old 07-26-2010, 08:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawfive View Post
Maybe this one deserves a new thread but the height of the awning is an issue. NW Jeeper commented earlier that he had seen the same awning at a lower angle resulting from a shorter strut length. That sounds appealing but could be risky if the stress on the motor rolling up the shade is too high due to the severe angle. I don't remember much of my various physics classes but there must be some vector analysis that would provide the answer. The other way to try this is to fab some shorter struts and just listen to the motor strain.

Am I the only owner who dislikes the lack of really good shading?
Your not the only one that didn't like the awning going straight out. But with the slide on that side, there is not much you can do. we added a sun screen in two sections. One section stays on the awning and comes down 30 inches with gromments and winds up with the awning. The other 9 ft connects to the upper section via hooks into the grommets. The extra 30 inches is low enough that I don't have to use a ladder. it also helps with the sun shade like a lower awning when it hangs off our awning.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #23

Awning Shade

Ken, could you post a picture of your awing mods? I imagine I'm not the only one who would like to see them.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #24

I have a 2011 Georgetown 360. Here are a few pics of some of the upgrades I made.

1. Mirror toppers
2. Mud flap
3.Folding factory table
4.Valances and MCD shades in the bedroom, replaced the cheap curtains.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121015_214146.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	20747

Name:	ForumRunner_20121015_214220.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	20748

Name:	ForumRunner_20121015_214241.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	20749

Name:	ForumRunner_20121015_214259.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	20750

Name:	ForumRunner_20121015_214318.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	20751
Old 10-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #25

Hazbunch...........

Where'd you get the window treatments for the bedroom? We want to replace those same ugly curtains on all the windows too. By the way.....uh......how much?

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #26
Anacortesians

We spend most of our funds on CG fees and fuel, so I haven't done many mods. Due to a water leak into the dinette slide roof area, I had to build new overhead cabinets, but you'd be hard pressed to tell they were different than the originals.

We've added an indoor/outdoor themometer, with the outdoor transducer in the shade of the awning and the display on the center console. We also added a Costco memory foam mattress topper.

A 70th birthday gift was a Weber Q220 grill, so I bought a plastic stabilser foot from CW and added a plywood base which I then bolted down in a cargo bay. I got a 10-lb propane tank (a squatty on with the same base dimensions as the 20-pounder).

The only other mod I've done was to remove a bit of the rear-view camera housing so I could see behind the rig rather than down at the bumper.

We'd like to modify the Flexsteel seats to shorten the cushion. They're too long fore and aft even for me (at 5'10') and more so for DW who is 11" shorter than me. Three-point, lap and diagonal, inertia-reel seatbelts would be good, but I don't know where the structure is strong enough for the shoulder harness attachment. I'm leery of the seat structure's ability to take the loads of the lap belt. Belts should be attached to the vehicle structure, not the seat frame.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawfive View Post
CF, thanks for the reply. You were kind enough to post this before. My thoughts are to figure out a way to insert, suspend or somehow mount a pipe under the coach to hold the sewer line when it isn't in use. Pick the short hose storage pipe or the long hose storage pipe, take the cap off, pull out the hose and hookup. Reverse and you are out of there. After a long weekend of running dogs in agility the 45 minutes to tear down and pack up are a GIANT pain. So, I'm looking for max convenience and speed. So far I ain't found it.

George
Used a 5" square vinyl fence post I found at Lowe's. Mounted with metal straps to the rear leveling jack mounts and used the fence post end caps as lids. Drilled a couple of holes in the holder just for ventilation. I really hated to take up bay storage for the stinky-slinkys.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #28

Kenandterry, I bought the valances from Forest River. The two by the bedroom windows are the same valances that's are in the bathroom. The valance over the dresser/emergency exit window I modified. I bought the one that is over the kitchen table for this window. I then bought MCD shades for all three windows, which are custom ordered. Yes this wasn't cheap, but it made a huge difference from the cheap curtains they put in the bedroom.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgeorge View Post
I am wanting to add a dome to mine I just can't make up my mind on Dish and DirecTV service. I hear from both sides how great they both are. What do you think about your Direc Tv service.

I'm considering the same issues.
Dishnetwork can be purchased month to month if you don't have it at home. You and stop or start any time without penalty. You need your own equipment already to do this.

You pay a little more than at home because you don't have long term contracts.
Pay As You Go RV is what it is called

Iggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #30

hazbunch

Do you have any pictures of how the large mud flap is mounted and attached?
Who did it? You?

And where did you pick up the mirror toppers?

Thanks

Iggy is online now   Reply With Quote