Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
jsutherl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 312
I also use mobile 1 synthetic and I do my own changes. I also buy it at walmart.

I had to use a hand held oil pump to pump the oil into the filler neck. Any other way and I probably would have made a mess. But the little pump worked great.

This is the one I bought, I'm really happy with it.
Amazon.com: Pennzoil Multi-Use Hand Pump, Model# 36677: Home Improvement
Pennzoil Multi-Use Hand Pump, Model# 36677
__________________

__________________
2008 Georgetown SE 350DS BunkHouse
jsutherl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 24
V-10 Maintenance

Georgetown 350 TS. I do my own oil changes & front end lube. Use 6 qts Motorcraft oil 5W20, Motorcraft oil filter purchased from WalMart. The MH is high enough to slide under it without jacking it up. Recommend purchasing a little hand pump from Advance Auto for $14.99, sure makes putting the oil back into the crankcase a lot easier.
Sure beats the heck out of paying my dealer $90.00 plus oil and filter for an oil change. Understand WalMart will change the oil & lube for $50.00. Airfilter is going to take some doing, cover doesn't want to lift up to access the filter.
Changing your on oil gives you a chance to look over the underside for leaks or other problems. No problems noted with my rig. My only problem is getting off the ground after changing the oil.
SnowBird9
__________________

__________________
SnowBird9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
jsutherl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBird9 View Post
Airfilter is going to take some doing, cover doesn't want to lift up to access the filter.
I had the same problem with the Air Filter Box. Somebody clued me in, here's the thread. Short story push back on it, pretty hard, to disengage the tabs along the back..
Air Filter
__________________
2008 Georgetown SE 350DS BunkHouse
jsutherl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl View Post
I had the same problem with the Air Filter Box. Somebody clued me in, here's the thread. Short story push back on it, pretty hard, to disengage the tabs along the back..
Air Filter
I found all at WallyWorld
Air Filter, Oil Filter and Motorcraft oil in gallons.
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
JimF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 348
Unlike a lot of folks posting here I take my New Under Warrenty 2011 378 TS with the v-10 to the Ford dealer for oil changes and services. The cost for an oil change and full lube of all the zert fittings was $55.10. That service is documented in the Ford system so warrenty issues are not a problem. Besides, for that price I can't justify buying the oil and filter, doing the service then finding a place to dispose of the oil, then climbing around under the rig with a grease gun hoping I got all the fitting lubed correctly. It is financial break even and not worth the hassel.

If I can afford the 378 and 6 to 7 miles per gallon I can darned sure afford the service. You folks doing it yourself sure aren't saving much.

I used to do my own service on our previous desiel rig until I found I could hire it done cheaper than my cost for oil, filter, etc. I have better things to do that try and be a mechanic at this point in my life.
__________________
JimF, CWO, US Army Ret, 100% DAV
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2008 Dodge Caliber Toad
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Unlike a lot of folks posting here I take my New Under Warrenty 2011 378 TS with the v-10 to the Ford dealer for oil changes and services. The cost for an oil change and full lube of all the zert fittings was $55.10. That service is documented in the Ford system so warrenty issues are not a problem. Besides, for that price I can't justify buying the oil and filter, doing the service then finding a place to dispose of the oil, then climbing around under the rig with a grease gun hoping I got all the fitting lubed correctly. It is financial break even and not worth the hassel.

If I can afford the 378 and 6 to 7 miles per gallon I can darned sure afford the service. You folks doing it yourself sure aren't saving much.

I used to do my own service on our previous desiel rig until I found I could hire it done cheaper than my cost for oil, filter, etc. I have better things to do that try and be a mechanic at this point in my life.

DITTO
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 24
Suggest following maintance instructions in the ford manual you received with your RV. If you are a DIYer use the Ford suggested blend and motorcraft oil filiters. When you do a grease job don't forget the ninth grease fitting on the steering box. Up front and hard to see. While under your unit eyeball the underside for anything unusual. My problem is getting the air filter cover off.
__________________
SnowBird9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBird9 View Post
Suggest following maintance instructions in the ford manual you received with your RV. If you are a DIYer use the Ford suggested blend and motorcraft oil filiters. When you do a grease job don't forget the ninth grease fitting on the steering box. Up front and hard to see. While under your unit eyeball the underside for anything unusual. My problem is getting the air filter cover off.
Thanks
I was told to get the airbox cover off you have to push it towards the rear and I think it will unhook in the front. I haven't tried it but I have read some where the procedure.
Anyone out there can verify removing the air filter cover for the V10?
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #29
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBird9 View Post
Suggest following maintance instructions in the ford manual you received with your RV. If you are a DIYer use the Ford suggested blend and motorcraft oil filiters. When you do a grease job don't forget the ninth grease fitting on the steering box. Up front and hard to see. While under your unit eyeball the underside for anything unusual. My problem is getting the air filter cover off.
And if there is a fitting on the rear drive shaft, make sure it gets a couple of squirts. If no fitting, would drop it and put some good lithium grease on the splines so you don't get a clunking noise later.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
And if there is a fitting on the rear drive shaft, make sure it gets a couple of squirts. If no fitting, would drop it and put some good lithium grease on the splines so you don't get a clunking noise later.
What spline? Universals joints? Please clarify for us non-technical guys.
I have also added a few Ford F-53 chassis docs you may find interesting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filter.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	14355  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2011-Motorhome_ClassA_Catalog.pdf (1.34 MB, 178 views)
File Type: pdf 2012_Electrical_Specs.pdf (696.2 KB, 101 views)
__________________

__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.