Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #21

I also use mobile 1 synthetic and I do my own changes. I also buy it at walmart.

I had to use a hand held oil pump to pump the oil into the filler neck. Any other way and I probably would have made a mess. But the little pump worked great.

This is the one I bought, I'm really happy with it.
Amazon.com: Pennzoil Multi-Use Hand Pump, Model# 36677: Home Improvement
Pennzoil Multi-Use Hand Pump, Model# 36677
Old 04-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #22

V-10 Maintenance

Georgetown 350 TS. I do my own oil changes & front end lube. Use 6 qts Motorcraft oil 5W20, Motorcraft oil filter purchased from WalMart. The MH is high enough to slide under it without jacking it up. Recommend purchasing a little hand pump from Advance Auto for $14.99, sure makes putting the oil back into the crankcase a lot easier.
Sure beats the heck out of paying my dealer $90.00 plus oil and filter for an oil change. Understand WalMart will change the oil & lube for $50.00. Airfilter is going to take some doing, cover doesn't want to lift up to access the filter.
Changing your on oil gives you a chance to look over the underside for leaks or other problems. No problems noted with my rig. My only problem is getting off the ground after changing the oil.
SnowBird9
SnowBird9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBird9 View Post
Airfilter is going to take some doing, cover doesn't want to lift up to access the filter.
I had the same problem with the Air Filter Box. Somebody clued me in, here's the thread. Short story push back on it, pretty hard, to disengage the tabs along the back..
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ter-13298.html
Old 04-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl View Post
I had the same problem with the Air Filter Box. Somebody clued me in, here's the thread. Short story push back on it, pretty hard, to disengage the tabs along the back..
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ter-13298.html
I found all at WallyWorld
Air Filter, Oil Filter and Motorcraft oil in gallons.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #25

Unlike a lot of folks posting here I take my New Under Warrenty 2011 378 TS with the v-10 to the Ford dealer for oil changes and services. The cost for an oil change and full lube of all the zert fittings was $55.10. That service is documented in the Ford system so warrenty issues are not a problem. Besides, for that price I can't justify buying the oil and filter, doing the service then finding a place to dispose of the oil, then climbing around under the rig with a grease gun hoping I got all the fitting lubed correctly. It is financial break even and not worth the hassel.

If I can afford the 378 and 6 to 7 miles per gallon I can darned sure afford the service. You folks doing it yourself sure aren't saving much.

I used to do my own service on our previous desiel rig until I found I could hire it done cheaper than my cost for oil, filter, etc. I have better things to do that try and be a mechanic at this point in my life.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Unlike a lot of folks posting here I take my New Under Warrenty 2011 378 TS with the v-10 to the Ford dealer for oil changes and services. The cost for an oil change and full lube of all the zert fittings was $55.10. That service is documented in the Ford system so warrenty issues are not a problem. Besides, for that price I can't justify buying the oil and filter, doing the service then finding a place to dispose of the oil, then climbing around under the rig with a grease gun hoping I got all the fitting lubed correctly. It is financial break even and not worth the hassel.

If I can afford the 378 and 6 to 7 miles per gallon I can darned sure afford the service. You folks doing it yourself sure aren't saving much.

I used to do my own service on our previous desiel rig until I found I could hire it done cheaper than my cost for oil, filter, etc. I have better things to do that try and be a mechanic at this point in my life.

DITTO
Old 05-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #27

Suggest following maintance instructions in the ford manual you received with your RV. If you are a DIYer use the Ford suggested blend and motorcraft oil filiters. When you do a grease job don't forget the ninth grease fitting on the steering box. Up front and hard to see. While under your unit eyeball the underside for anything unusual. My problem is getting the air filter cover off.
SnowBird9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Suggest following maintance instructions in the ford manual you received with your RV. If you are a DIYer use the Ford suggested blend and motorcraft oil filiters. When you do a grease job don't forget the ninth grease fitting on the steering box. Up front and hard to see. While under your unit eyeball the underside for anything unusual. My problem is getting the air filter cover off.
Thanks
I was told to get the airbox cover off you have to push it towards the rear and I think it will unhook in the front. I haven't tried it but I have read some where the procedure.
Anyone out there can verify removing the air filter cover for the V10?
Old 05-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #29
Mod free 5er

Quote:
And if there is a fitting on the rear drive shaft, make sure it gets a couple of squirts. If no fitting, would drop it and put some good lithium grease on the splines so you don't get a clunking noise later.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
And if there is a fitting on the rear drive shaft, make sure it gets a couple of squirts. If no fitting, would drop it and put some good lithium grease on the splines so you don't get a clunking noise later.
What spline? Universals joints? Please clarify for us non-technical guys.
I have also added a few Ford F-53 chassis docs you may find interesting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filter.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	14355  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2011-Motorhome_ClassA_Catalog.pdf (1.34 MB, 257 views)
File Type: pdf 2012_Electrical_Specs.pdf (696.2 KB, 127 views)
Old 05-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #31

F53 chassis Front End lube points

F53 chassis Front End lube points
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	f-53lubepoints.jpg
Views:	1082
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	14360   Click image for larger version

Name:	f53lube.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	14361  
Old 05-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #32

My 2012 F53 Chassis with V10 parts and specs

Ford Motorhome F53 Chassis - 242 “

V10 Engine. 6.8L HP

TorqShift 5 speed overdrive Aux Cooler 18 quarts of fluid

Oil – Ford Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W20

Oil Filter – Motorcraft FL-820-S, Ford P/N F1AZ-6731-BD FL-820S

Air Filter – Motorcraft FA-1782 or FRAM 10071

Engine Battery BXT 65-750

TorqShift 5 speed overdrive Aux Cooler Transmission 18 quarts - ATF P/N - FT-180

Specifications
  • Engine liters - 6.8L - 3 valve per
  • Cylinder configuration - V-10
  • Horsepower - 362hp @ 4,750RPM
  • Torque - 457 lb.-ft. @ 3,250RPM
  • Number of valves - 30
  • Sequential multi-point fuel injection
  • regular unleaded
  • Transmission - 5 speed automatic
  • Fuel tank capacity - 80.0gal.
  • Basic warranty - 36 months/36,000miles
  • Powertrain warranty - 60 months/60,000miles
  • Corrosion perforation warranty - 60 months/ unlimited distance
  • Roadside assistance coverage - 60 months/60,000miles
Old 05-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #33

SnowBird9

Does your air box look like this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	V10_Engine.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	14368  
Old 05-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
What spline? Universals joints? Please clarify for us non-technical guys.
It is in the bottom picture with the call out on the right:"Lubricate universal joint spline fitting (slip yoke)
Old 05-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
It is in the bottom picture with the call out on the right:"Lubricate universal joint spline fitting (slip yoke)
Great thanks
Old 04-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #36

Concerning lubricating the chassis's zerk fittings (thank you Iggy for the 'service points' images), what type of grease should I use? I noticed the reference to XG-1-C, can I use this on all my chassis's zerk fittings?
lochsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #37

Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Ford gives you the part numbers to all the service parts and fluids. It is so easy to procure these parts from local sources. Walmart has the Motorcraft semi synthetic 5w-20w oil and FL820S filter. Walmart also has a Penzoil brand transfer pump for $7.98 that has extra long plastic hoses for reaching the ever so restricted area oil fill tube. ALL OIL FILTERS ARE NOT THE SAME. Flow check valves, microns, one and two stages, temperature check valves are all part of todays oil filter designs. The worst thing you can do to an engine is install a generic oil filter. Before a manufacturer warranties a motorhome engine you can bet for sure they will want to know what oil filter is on it and they will do an oil analysis. I can never understand why some owners experiment in this area when the manufacturer is telling us exactly how, when, and what to do and use to properly service their product.
Additionally I self service my vehicles so I can look over the unit for leaks and possible defects. I have been a diesel mechanic for 40 years.
370xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #38

Completed my oil change today using the Penzoil pump from walmart. The pump made it simple, the filter was easy to get to, and my oil pan fit nicely to catch the oil. Much easier than my Acura and Honda. Funny thing is, the tiny size of the filter that I removed ("Service Champ") that CP put on for my last oil change made me have to double check the FL-820 part number of the Motocraft filter I picked up.

Name:	image-1429530153.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	28531
lochsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #39

Yes they are small. I have done a few oil changes on mine and have removed the drain plug and installed a Fomoto valve. I also use a 3ft section of tube to drain it into a bucket.
Here is the link to the website for the quick valve assembly.
http://www.qwikvalve.com/fumoto-f106n-valve.html

Watch the video explains it clearly what it does.

Here is a picture of the valve I installed in my V10. Much cleaner and easier next oil change
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #40

lochsa
Did you use a pump like this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pump.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	28650