Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #1

georgetown ve 280 ds

we pick up our new coach on wed. it a 2011 gtown ve 280ds
i know its a new model ,but does any one else have one yet
and what,s your impressions
brian&ellie j
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Congrats on the new Georgetown. Hope you have nothing but great times camping with it. Any question we can help with just ask.Charlie

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #3

About to do the same

We ordered a Georgetown 280 DS as well and is suppose to be ready in a couple more weeks. I am also interested in hearing some feedback from those who may have purchased this new model. Good luck with yours.
southbound2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound2010 View Post
We ordered a Georgetown 280 DS as well and is suppose to be ready in a couple more weeks. I am also interested in hearing some feedback from those who may have purchased this new model. Good luck with yours.
we are going out tomorrow (m0n the 23) for a few days to get aquainted with the new rig
Old 08-23-2010, 06:41 AM   #5

Hope your new coach performs well. If you get a chance we would like to hear your review when you return. Good camping.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #6

Seeking feedback on Georgetown VE 280DS

I'm considering a 2011 Georgetown VE 280DS -- tons of functionality in a short length. (I'm downsizing from 39ft DP and don't want anything longer.)

Test drive was fine, but not the same as a fully-loaded coach on a real drive. I'd appreciate anyone's feedback or hands-on experience.

The key question for me is how it drives, because I'll be doing long stretches, necessary to get out of San Diego over the mountains (every road north or east from SD County crosses multiple 4000+ ft passes), then across the desert to the interesting places.

How does this rig handle bumps, bad roads, side wind, passing 18-wheelers?

And how does it do on the ultimate test: simply going straight without constantly wrestling the steering wheel?

Also, any comments on features and options?
TravelHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #7

I will pick the 280 up in Orlando on Wednesday and drive back to NC that day. I will not be towing a vehicle or have the coach loaded but but should have an appreciation for the straight road driving after that.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelHawk View Post
I'm considering a 2011 Georgetown VE 280DS -- tons of functionality in a short length. (I'm downsizing from 39ft DP and don't want anything longer.)

Test drive was fine, but not the same as a fully-loaded coach on a real drive. I'd appreciate anyone's feedback or hands-on experience.

The key question for me is how it drives, because I'll be doing long stretches, necessary to get out of San Diego over the mountains (every road north or east from SD County crosses multiple 4000+ ft passes), then across the desert to the interesting places.

How does this rig handle bumps, bad roads, side wind, passing 18-wheelers?

And how does it do on the ultimate test: simply going straight without constantly wrestling the steering wheel?

Also, any comments on features and options?
1st trip out was 6 days. coach preformed excellent.at this point only complaint is the water heater doesnt always light at 1st try.other observations grey water tank could be bigger and dinette is strictly a 2 person deal (we could serve 5 in our class c) wife says we need a coffee table in front of sofa to fix that. ride and handling was good i can only compare to my former coach 2008 holiday rambler "c".mileage the 2010 wrangler was a bout 8 same as hr.we have full paint which i must shamefully admit was the deal maker for me.
brian and ellie
Old 08-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #9

We have the 2011 320DS so a little different

Ours is a bit longer (the one with the bunk beds) but the Ford 550 engine which I think is the same.

We have now driven from Canada to Disneyland on one 2 week trip and from Canada through scenic Mountains of Montana, Idaho, and Washington on another 2 week trip, a trip to Glacier National Park on a week long trip and every other weekend since we bought it to more local destinations - again in the Mountains.

We have not had any problem keeping up with traffic, the temperature gauge never waivers.

Fit and finish has been another issue. The door for example is crooked. There is quite a bit of wind noise and the steps do not always retract because the magnet on the screen is 1/2" away from the opposing side mounted on the door jam. We've remedied that somewhat by adding some little super magnets to the screen side.

The problem here is getting time at the dealer - time of course that takes away from being able to camp. So far no availablilty.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #10

Now that is what I call camping. How is your mpg running and do you tow a vehicle?
Old 08-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #11

Thanks for the replies. (Keep 'em comin').

Our goal with 280DS is to NOT tow, unless we need our Jeep for a special purpose. Our hope is that being just under 29ft lets us do tourist and shopping things in the RV (carefully, of course), things that were impossible with our 39ft coach.
TravelHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #12

Quote:
How is your mpg running and do you tow a vehicle?
We don't have a toad - yet. There are 5 of us so enough seats in the toad is important. I am open to suggestions.

As for MPG - I'm not keeping track of it. We've been up (and down) 8% grades, hardly a fair estimation of mpg for any vehicle.

What is surprising in driving it:
Wind is less a factor than I had imagined. When I had to seriously reduce my speed to 45 to comfortably stay in the lane I later found out there were 85mph gusts!
Road surface is more of a factor than I'd imagined. I-90 in Western Washington State is a grooved mess.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #13

We are set with financing to buy a 280 VE. We will use it for shows so the rear storage basement was a real deal maker for us. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who purchased one of these.

The VE is their budget series as I understand it. I cannot find out what the roof is made of from their description. The dealer tells me it is a vinyl which is better than rubber but not fiberglass. Curious about this.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who owns a Georgetown VE before I pull the trigger for better or worse.

Thanks

Vic Maris
(Sleepless in Auburn)

Quote:
Vic Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Maris View Post
We are set with financing to buy a 280 VE. I look forward to hearing from anyone who owns a Georgetown VE before I pull the trigger for better or worse.
We have the 320ds - it has the bunk beds.
So far as I can tell the engine / drive train / chasis is the same as the other Georgetowns. We have an electric awning but not the wind feature which it seems like other georgetowns came with. It's hard to know what was an option and what the differences are. I've never seen the various models side by side, so I'm also interested in what the differences might be.

Tags