Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2015, 01:57 PM   #1

Georgetown vs FR3

Since we are going FT our Sunseeker 2450 has grown a little small. Am considering going with something a little bigger. Have been looking at the FR3 and the Georgetown.
Storage is to be considered but the main thing is "livability". We want a real living room where we can lounge and watch TV, etc with comfortable furniture.
The FR3 caught my eye and I like the lay out but not sure about the furniture. Any input from you FR3 or Georgetown owners would be appreciated.

Thanks
LittleMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:32 PM   #2

Both are entry level units in their categories. Georgetown has slightly better quality of build and materials, not to mention it's a "true" class A gas, not a crossover (meaning a full cap of a roof, etc). We looked at both and considered both and Georgetown came out as a better option in most categories other than price.
Starboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:52 PM   #3

We have been FT in the Georgetown since November and have no issues with living large enough. We have a small dog, parrot and wife and I living in it. Also tow our motorcycle and car behind it without an issue.

Bevkevrv
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Bevkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #4

It is a matter of size and what you want to pay. The Georgetown normally has a higher capacity frame and 22.5 inch wheels and some better appointments. However the FR3 is compact and easy to drive. They are both manufactured on the same assembly line in Elkhart
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #5

We live full time in our Georgetown and are happy with it. Like any RV, there have been a few problems, the worst being a leak where the front cap meets the roof. Living full time also means that things break and need replacing more often. For example, last year the toilet and kitchen faucet both required replacement. Also, two new front tires and an alignment. This year it was the front roof air conditioner. Two years ago, the Jensen TV in the bedroom failed. I replaced it with a nicer and much lower power LG TV that can run off a small inverter. The fake leather upholstery on all the seats has worn badly, so that may be the next project. Of course, when we had a house there were plenty of things that went bad and needed replacing too...

Aside from better quality upholstery, I wish Forest River did a better job with the wood cabinets. They are okay, but there is a lot of wasted space that could be better utilized for full time living. While the drawer fronts and cabinet doors are real wood, most of the cabinets are vinyl covered wood. Real wood finish cabinets would be much nicer. I guess I have champagne taste, but a beer budget...

By far though, things have been pretty good. We are very happy full timing, seeing our beautiful country. No utility bills, yard maintenance, or property taxes. The views from some of the places where we have camped, usually when boondocking, have been spectacular. I never had a yard with a view when I owned a house!
Old 11-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #6

FR3 vs Georgetown, we bought a FR3 25DS in May 2015, went on several small weekend trips, then went on our first 'snow bird' sojourn to Texas, living in a FR3 for a week or two, no issue, but when you stay longer, we got cabin fever, storage, kitchen, general livability compelled us to trade in for a Georgetown 369XL while we were on the road, we plan on RV'ing 6 months a year, we took a slight loss, but prorated over 20 years, it was not worth the discomfort in the short term, a case of 'unhappy Wife = unhappy Life', not worth the financial hassle, besides we cant take it with us, no significant issues w/FR3 25DS, just decided to do it now vs later
US Army 22 years
Days Camped
2015 - 50+ days
bigduke1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:57 PM   #7

Here's a bunch of free periods to use on your next post. Because that's unreadable.
Starboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard View Post

Here's a bunch of free periods to use on your next post. Because that's unreadable.
Thanks............that's funny
US Army 22 years
Days Camped
2015 - 50+ days
bigduke1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #9

Go Georgetown for full timing. You will be much happier.
Lots more storage and roomier.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:13 PM   #10

I just test drove and Fr3 and felt the engine was a bit loud. Does anyone know if the engine noise would be similar in the Georgetown vs. Fr3?
Dtoste77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:25 PM   #11
I Break Everything

We're not fulltimers, but we've had multiple 5th wheels and a travel trailer in the past and about 10 months ago purchased a Georgetown 351ds. Our kids are in college but still travel with us summers and holidays, so we opted for the bunks. We might change that later, not sure. Storage outside is more than enough for us and one change I'm for sure I would never change...ours now has a residential fridge. It's awesome. No more tiny spaces, water and ice through the door as well. We usually go for a month at a time over the summer and space is fine for the four of us and 3 cats.

Good Luck,

MK

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #12
Happily Retired Member

We looked at the FR3 and 378xl. From past 5th wheel experience, the FR3 TV location was a big drawback for us. We went for the 378XL. After 3 5th wheels over the years, we finally figured out all the wants vs needs to fit us. They were: TV location, bathroom/shower configuration, kitchen/ counter top space, closet / storage space, black and grey tank capacity, fresh water capacity, road handling, and cost. The FR3 was much cheaper to buy, but we thought this would be out last unit. We opted for the 378XL.

2013 Ford Escape on Landgrebe tow dolly
Mickeystamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:00 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

While we didn't test drive a lot of different MHs, I was pleasantly surprised at how much more quiet our Georgetown is than what I was expecting.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:52 PM   #14

We are considering a Georgetown XL. No comparison,so much nicer.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:54 AM   #15

We have been full timing in our 2012 378XL since purchased new and there is enough room for the 2 of us and storage is fine. The layout and the open living room with slide out is great and location of TV and such are good. Would recommend this MH to anybody. Yes we have had a few issues as all RV's do but FR has been great to work with. My only advise is make sure you have a great dealer, they can make or break your experience.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:04 PM   #16

2x on the floorplan of the 378 for full time. My DW priorities were opposing slides, washer\dryer and residential fridge. Only option I would have liked was not avail in 2014 - the big bunk over the cab for the grand kids.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown