Old 08-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #21

Our 2011 has full body paint and and all options on the long wheelbase chassis, but isn't an XL either. Not sure there was one in that year.
Just toured the factory and there are now quite a few upgrades on the XL, including a heavier duty chassis, (24.5k I think), flush mounted windshield and optional porcelain tile floors to mention a few things I can remember.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #22

We have a 2012 378 XL and my understanding there are more upgraded features heavier chassis, interior stuff, larger wheels and the inside ceiling height was 4 inches taller. Yes there is a bigger $$ difference but we are glad we got the XL.. There is no spare tire nor a place to have a spare.

&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:44 AM   #23

I've got a 328TS, which is not an XL. There is an XL of about the same length down a few spaces from me. It's very nice. It's got the 22.5 inch wheels, and what looks like full body paint instead of the partial paint that our rig has. I think it has a different slide mechanism too. Ours has cable driven slides, and you can see the cables on the outside of the slides. I couldn't see cables on the XL. Beyond that, at least on the outside, they look pretty similar.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #24

I have an 08 370. Does not say xl any place. Does have the spare tire between the tail lights. 22.5 tires. Storage doors swing from the side. We love it.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #25

XL

We have a 2013 Bunkhouse XL model, but it doesn't have tile and personally I didn't want it. We go to the desert frequently and love the linoleum. No groves and it sweeps up easily. We don't have a spare or jack and I know I couldn't mount it We have the hydraulic slides and leveling system. You don't want the hydraulic system. We have already replaced one hose that burst and now another hose is bubbling. I've attempted to contact Forest River the second time and they are not responding to my emails. Stick with the cable system.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #26
Tinkerer and Putterer

Regarding those hydraulic lines. Heavy equipment runs almost exclusively on hydraulics and there are retailers out there who will come onsite, fabricate and install high PSI lines for good prices. The fittings they use aren't cheap so 100 - 200.00 a line plus install is not unheard of but they can make lines rated to 2000 PSI that will outlast your rig. Major overkill but if you're having problems with the lines and want to be dead certain that they're fixed then that is the route I would go (and have in the past for transmission and remote oil coolers) This fellow used to live down the road from me and may be a good choice if you're in NC.

1001-102 Goodworth Road
Apex, NC 275394401 - View Map
Phone: (919) 303-3840
Email: on-sitehose@nc.rr.com
Old 10-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #27

Thanks, HappyGuy. I'm trying to get a hold of Forest River, but unfortunately they seem to be unavailable for comment
While I'm out of warranty, I believe that if you sell defective equipment you should replace it even if your warranty has expired. That being said, I will eventually get a hose made. Since I live in California, I will have to find a place here
I have had hydraulic hoses made for my Mustang and Harley so I will inquire there. Thanks for the information.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #28

Bubba, when I bought my rig as a one year old used from the dealer I had the them change the hydraulic lines prior to purchase. Well first time out I noticed bubbled lines! Back to the dealer they told me Lippert only authorized some out going lines (orange) and not all. Dealer to their credit, Buffalo RV, called a mobile service in to change out the remaining lines. Much better quality too than the Lippert junk.
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #29

Hi Sherman 12. I guess I should have done a little more research into Forest River and especially gone to the FR Forum. We were looking at a Tiffin bunkhouse and saw this one for 50,000 less and couldn't see a whole lot of difference. Now I know where the difference is ... quality. Anyway, I will be replacing the hoses with quality rubber hydraulic hoses. It's just hard to believe that a company can stay in business using defective parts. I guess I'm part of the reason.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:29 AM   #30

Buibba, I think you landed up in a Forest River the same way I did, a helluva lot for the money. I came from a used Tiffin to Georgetown. When I was shopping, I thought the last company I would look at was GT because of them being part of Berkshire Hathaway, aka Warren Buffet. But, I could not overlook the amount of standard amenities GT offered compared to what I was looking at in the 2005-2008 used category. I could've had a brand new 329 for what used Tiffins, Holdiday Rambler, Fleetwood and more were going for in 2012. Settled on my 2011 GT bought exactly one year to the day of the original purchase, traded up for a Thor Diesal. Now three years into ownership, I love what we have and take some issue's, such as Lippert automatic steps being subpar like their hydraulic lines in stride, helped by excellent support from FR to buy replacement Kwikee Steps at 1/3 the cost of retail. Most agree that all RV manufacturers have issue somewhere and I guess we the consumers just have to pick our poison of what will go wrong and how we will go about resolving/fixing the issues as they crop up. Good Luck with getting your hydraulic lines fixed, the 50K you saved over the Tiffin should help mitigate the money out of your pocket if any.

sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown