Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #1

Georgetown vs. Georgetown XL

So we are considering a Class A with the bunk slide and overhead bed in the drivers area. We really like the Georgetown's` and the layouts. when looking on FR website they don`t really say what the differences are. I`m thinking the XL is a bit more fancy, but not really sure. maybe the XL has more features than the standard Georgetown? anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #2

XL's have marble floor instead of tile, chrome mirrors instead of black, smaller wheels, etc. The XL's are a lot more upscale.
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:38 PM   #3

I have a 2013 352XL and looked at 2012 Georgetown that looked much like the XL but had some cosmetic differences. I was told they went to the XL tag in 13 to differentiate between the the models, the 351DS has the smaller doors on the storage underneath and smaller wheels. Along with the upgrades it does come with a little more cost but I like the XL.
rick71373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:15 AM   #4

We love our 2014 351DS but if I had the chance and the funds to do it all over again I would have gone with the XL version. Don't care about the marble floors but there has been a few times I missed the larger storage compartments.
Does anyone know if the XLs come with hydraulic slides rather than cable? If so that would be another big plus for the XL for me. Everything I have read says that cable system is widely used and very reliable, but I would have preferred the hydraulic system. Just seems more heavy duty.
Other than that our 351 is a great coach and the size and floor plan is perfect for us.
She's washed and loaded right now getting ready to head out again this afternoon

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #5

Thought the slides were hydraulic?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick71373 View Post
I have a 2013 352XL and looked at 2012 Georgetown that looked much like the XL but had some cosmetic differences. I was told they went to the XL tag in 13 to differentiate between the the models, the 351DS has the smaller doors on the storage underneath and smaller wheels. Along with the upgrades it does come with a little more cost but I like the XL.
My 2005 is an XL so they have been using that tag for a long time. At that time I think they had an "SE" tag that resembled the Georgetown non XL with the smaller storage compartments and a few less upgrades.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazymace View Post
Thought the slides were hydraulic?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Not on my 2014 351ds. They are cable driven. Made by Accuslide. I was told they were hydraulic during the pdi.
They have been in use in RVs for a long time and seem to be reliable from what I have read. I hope so. I also read that they are used in the smaller slide on the Berkshire.

Charleston SC
Old 08-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #8

My 2005 is on the larger chassis, has 22.5" wheels, dual pane windows, etc., etc., etc.

I think the XL, though a tad nore expensive, is a better buy.

When I refinanced thru Bank of the West (Essex), I got a much better rate than my credit union had offered me, because I wasn't upside down in the "slightly upscale" unit.

Credit Union was 8+% for a used unit, Essex was 4.7. Go figger?!
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #9

Well ya can't buy a short A in an XL...so the regular G'towns are better! LOL

Seriously...we didn't look at XL's since they don't have one in our size range...but at least in the 2014's ...the XL's seemed to sell for about $20k more for comparable models and given the feature set...seemed to me to be worth about that much more. I think most of it can be characterized as more stylish, upgraded and comfy living...and that $20k will be worth it to some...and not to others.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:29 AM   #10
ME

I remembered a model had the rear cargo area and spare tire on the back between the brake lights being the XL?
Old 08-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #11

The biggest difference is the XL will have larger chassis - bigger wheels - longer wheelbase. We didn't feel it was it honestly was any more "upscale" in appointments, at least not worth the $20k more. We actually prefer vinyl flooring over the tile, so that wasn't a selling point. And the basin sink in the bath, and faux stone in the bedroom weren't anything we cared about at all. You'll get a 10 gal water heater instead of 6, but if you want the bunkhouse version in the XL, you can't also have a residential fridge, and THAT was what tipped the scales for DW. At least you couldn't in 2014 when we ordered ours. But the 351DS did offer a residential fridge, so...that's what we got. Exterior storage is not dramatically different. It's 157 cu ft in the 351, and 173 in the 352XL.

For me personally (temporarily discounting DW's wishes ONLY for this brief moment), I would prefer the bigger chassis / bigger wheels / longer wheelbase. That's there the $ upcharge comes in. Is it worth $15-20k more? That's a personal call.
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks1032 View Post
I remembered a model had the rear cargo area and spare tire on the back between the brake lights being the XL?
Mine has the "trunk", but realistically, why carry a spare? I couldn't mount it, and neither can my wife!

It carries boat toys, water guns, and a 6' table.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:28 PM   #13

We bought a 2013 337XL. The 22 inch wheels contribute to a better ride and it has a king size bed. We looked at a couple of Georgetowns but after I hit my head on that overhead bed, I wasn't a buyer. It is a nice package in a 33' 5" length. I'm not sure I like the U dinette and we took out one of the chairs and ottoman to have more room. After the warranty is up we'll check out options for a jackknife couch and a recliner.
nicholsonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #14

Thanks everyone! the residential fridge is a big draw for us. I do hope it is available with the bunk model, either one XL or non-XL. now I just need to actually see one in person, much better than online brochures!

Old 08-10-2014, 09:55 AM   #15
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Thanks everyone! the residential fridge is a big draw for us. I do hope it is available with the bunk model, either one XL or non-XL. now I just need to actually see one in person, much better than online brochures!

Make you are OK having to plug in your RV to keep the fridge working overnight. The batteries don't last long.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
When we purchased ours the bunks were what we were mainly interested in. Hadn't really thought about the residential fridge but the unit we looked at had one in it. Was hesitant about it at first but now we absolutely love it.

Charleston SC
Old 08-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #17

Yep, I just checked the dealers website on the one they have and it has the residential fridge and the bunks. it looks to be the standard Georgetown not an XL. Not to worried about running off of batteries, as we are always plugged in.

Thanks again!

Old 08-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #18

I habe a 2011 337 XL. When I visited the factory last summer the line was primarily focused on the XL. It is a little more money but well worth it, there is a lot of competition in the upscale class A market and the xl addresses this with a lot of extra touches like nicer interior, full body paint, more storage, etc. The XL is hard to beat for the money.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:44 PM   #19

you can get the residential fridge and the bunks in the XL line. it's the 350TS model. i know because i have it. as far as i am concerned, the better pass through storage, heavier chassis, and higher cargo carrying/GCWR stats are more than worth the +/- 20K more, IMHO. i drove and compared both the 351DS and the 350XL side by side and if you can swing the extra $$$$, do it.....

Front & Rear Roadmaster Sway Bars
Koni Shocks
Front and Rear Sumo Springs Jounce Replacement
willingtonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #20

My 2011 is not an XL, but it is on the larger chassis, has the 22.5 tires with real alloy wheels, three pass through storage bins, great linoleum that looks like tile and the fake brick in the bedroom. Also 10 gallon gas/electric water heater, stainless appliances and solid surface counter tops with a sunken kitchen sink. Why it is not an XL? even the salesman didn't know.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown