Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2014, 08:48 AM   #1

Georgetown Water Pressure Regulator

I remember our salesman telling us that a water pressure regulator was not needed since the GTs have one built in. Being that he told us a bunch of lies, we didn't believe him and have always used one on the city water inlet.

When we got to Ft Wilderness and went to hook up city water, I couldn't find brass regulator that I always use. I decided to hook it up without it and the pressure is the same as with the brass regulator.

Does anyone know for sure that the GTs have a built in regulator?
Old 06-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #2

Never heard that one and I know my '05 does not. I forgot to use a regulator once and had wonderful pressure until I remembered.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #3

Well now i'm curious as i have a 2014 and i have a regulator i have used since purchase.
fullenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #4

A water pressure regulator costs less than $20. It's cheap insurance. Besides, you want one at the hook-up faucet to protect your hose and inline water filter.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I think Fort Wilderness may have pressure regulators on all spigots. At least the site we were on had one built into the spigot. I've been to several campgrounds that had this also. I had regulator quit on me this last weekend. Shut the water off completely to the camper. I always carry one though.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #6

I rarely go to campgrounds with water but when I do I just use their water to fill my tank then refill as needed, no worries about too much water pressure that way.
bmurph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:52 PM   #7

I have left enough regulators around the country that no one should ever have to buy one!

Also, I firmly believe that all the Tupperware that the world could ever use has already been made. Think about it!
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds342 View Post
I have left enough regulators around the country that no one should ever have to buy one!

Also, I firmly believe that all the Tupperware that the world could ever use has already been made. Think about it!

X2. Very true!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
A water pressure regulator costs less than $20. It's cheap insurance. Besides, you want one at the hook-up faucet to protect your hose and inline water filter.
I fully understand that. My question is if FR installed regulators at the factory. It would make sense. I went and bought one at Wally World, but would like to know if what the salesman told me is true or not.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I think Fort Wilderness may have pressure regulators on all spigots. At least the site we were on had one built into the spigot. I've been to several campgrounds that had this also. I had regulator quit on me this last weekend. Shut the water off completely to the camper. I always carry one though.
Ours has two spigots and no regulators attached. Went and bought one to be safe. There may be a regulator installed behind the panel because pressure was the same with and without the regulator.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Some of those funny looking things on campground spigots are "backflow preventers" to keep your "stuff" out of the water supply.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #12

ours does not have a built in regulator and I use a high flow regulator insures we have the water flow for our showers and with the regular ones I do not have the pressure and flow we like.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:08 PM   #13
Tim & Lisa Trempert

I have never used a regulator and never had a problem. I believe the PSI rating on modern RV hoses is pretty high and similar to your house lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
I have never used a regulator and never had a problem. I believe the PSI rating on modern RV hoses is pretty high and similar to your house lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I think you could be right; However, it's the terminations crimped or otherwise applied to those hoses and tubing that I feel is the issue and why some sort of pressure limiting device is a good idea. Look at all the factory assembly problems that are on this forum. Each to his own though.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair View Post
ours does not have a built in regulator and I use a high flow regulator insures we have the water flow for our showers and with the regular ones I do not have the pressure and flow we like.
I need to check into a high flow regulator. I use a regular one and the water pressure is better from the pump than it is from the water connection.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #16

You are right. The 40 - 50 regulator does have low output. I wonder what FR recommends. I had to redo some of the pipes and connectors when I replaced the water filter. I got the supplies from Home Depot and it was all PEX. That stuff is meant to hold high pressure.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #17

I use a Watson water regulator which is preset to 50 psi (there are adjustable ones). I also use a 5/8 dia hose. HD or Lowea has the regulators and all the couplings to accommodate the type of interconnect one would want. The cost is higher but should last forever. JMO.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
You are right. The 40 - 50 regulator does have low output. I wonder what FR recommends. I had to redo some of the pipes and connectors when I replaced the water filter. I got the supplies from Home Depot and it was all PEX. That stuff is meant to hold high pressure.
The pix is really not the problem, depending on the unit, it's the fixtures that blow off such as the bathroom faucets, shower and galley. They are mostly held together with O rings only. If you change them to household models there wouldn't be a problem. I have been told by FR that they are rated at 65 PSI max. But once again that is FR telling me that so who knows, and that was at the factory. I was at Oeano NAS last month, they were working on the water system the pressure jumped to over 110 PSI. I was a lucky one I had a reg on some people didn't, big problems all over that CG.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
The pix is really not the problem, depending on the unit, it's the fixtures that blow off such as the bathroom faucets, shower and galley. They are mostly held together with O rings only. If you change them to household models there wouldn't be a problem. I have been told by FR that they are rated at 65 PSI max. But once again that is FR telling me that so who knows, and that was at the factory. I was at Oeano NAS last month, they were working on the water system the pressure jumped to over 110 PSI. I was a lucky one I had a reg on some people didn't, big problems all over that CG.
Makes sense. I guess I'll stick with the brass 40 - 50. I honestly thought that the pressure was the same with and without, but it did drop some after installing the regulator.

That salesman of ours was a real yahoo. He swore there was a built in regulator. I still don't understand why the manufacturers don't install one.

Tags
georgetown, pressure, water