Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2016, 08:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge2283 View Post
Our reasons for not buying another Georgetown is that our previous coach was a Dutch Star.
The cheapest Dutch Star is over 3x the price of a G'town...so that is not surprising! We looked at the comparable Bay Star and didn't like the rubber roof or the interiordecor for 10 grand more than the G'town. Still...Newmar builds a nice coach and takes care of their customers too.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:43 PM   #22

Probably not, too many little things about it go wrong, maybe if they came out with a diesel, gas is to loud.
gregpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:46 AM   #23

I agree the dealer is the weak link. They want the sale but don't think they get payed enough and the manufacturer want to send the dealer their parts. Let's face they are not helping each other and the customer looses
Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge2283 View Post
... our previous coach was a Dutch Star. The build quality of the Dutch Star was vastly superior. The GT doesn't have as much storage as we'd like, no wall mounted light switches, not real ducted A/C, and other small items....
First, I am not sure why did you go from a Dutch Star to a G'town.

I just bought a G'town, and it looks and feels good, maybe I don't know anything about RV yet since this is my first. During my research, I looked at almost every brand and model that I could, and I have to say; if my budget is big enough to cough up $400,000 I wouldn't even look at the G'town with a corner of my eye. BUT, that was just a dream, and many of us must live with the reality.

Having that said, for the price point of the G'town, I am not quite sure if anything else out there could top the quality of the G'town at the same price point.

So far, I have not yet done any travel with my new 2016 G'town XL yet, but I think that I made the right choice for my first coach. The truth may be told soon when I start having the problem with my G'town but cross my finger, I will hope that the fun would outpace the problem.

Until it makes me hate it so much like many of you, otherwise, I love what I have like many of you too.
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:49 PM   #25

I love my 2012 337, full body slide, king bed. Best priced RV for the quality that I have seen. Have had virtually no problems in 24,000 miles other than minor things I have fixed myself. But my dealership, Madison RV in Madison Alabama sucks.
If I get another Georgetown I will have to find another dealer.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberNail View Post
No!! You can read my post at:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...di-113530.html

The Georgetowns are a perfect example of what happens when low bid Chinese parts are installed by careless workers in a factory with no quality control. I do agree that when the moon and stars align and the parts are good, and the workers do their job correctly, the Georgetowns are the best bang for the buck. In ANY case, choosing the right dealer, doing a detailed PDI and not giving them the money until ALL items pass the PDI is absolutely critical. After you write the check it's a different world.
I've read through your thread and posts, but I don't see where you had "major defects" (plural) From what I read the coach you were buying had 1 issue which the dealer caught and was going to repair. I don't see how you can condemn the entire line, for 1 issue, on a coach you didn't end up buying. Maybe there is more to this story than you have shared so far.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:27 PM   #27
Weekender

I have owned 6 motorhomes over the past 35 years. I have had 3 class C's, a class B and the last 2 have been class A's. Of the 6 there have been 4 different manufacturer's. All have suffered similar problems such as leaks at the seams, plumbing leaks, and water pump failures. Problems with coach appliances and accessories are inevitable and shared across the industry because there are no more than one or possibly two manufacturers for the components and everybody uses them! Examples; Dometic for refrigerator, A/C, awning, etc. Suburban for gas heaters, Magic Chef for ovens, etc. With that said, I will say that YES, I would buy another Georgetown. As a matter of fact I just bought my second one last year. Does everything always work perfectly? Heck no, but as with any 20000 pound house on wheels, if it moves you're going to have to fix things. As the saying goes, those good days outweigh those bad days by a long shot. So put me in the YES column.
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:04 PM   #28

Maybe....I wanted a newer unit for a bunkhouse and the 364TS pushed me to a brand new unit to get another full bath, residential fridge, and my bunks plus drop down.

The roof is the biggest concern so far, being worked on right now. Rear king bed slide issue and corners pulling off bottom of main slide are two other big ones. Cabinetry quality and trim is not the best....lots of wood colored stickers and poor fit up.

Now, for what I wanted which is a budget friendly RV for weekends and a couple trips it's great. It's a lot of money for that, in fact hard to justify.

I think it's the grass is greener theory, but it does have me thinking about a Newmar if I get another one. Time will tell though, so far service has replied to me in a decent window and are covering my warranty items.
JLud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #29

No,they did very bad job building,had a very long list of things not done or done correct.Forest River did not seam to care.No inspection on any thing when the coach left the factory.Now the drivers seat is coming apart.2012 378XL.
manvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:40 PM   #30
Georgetown 280

Yes

Our main consideration was size. Because we do a lot of dry camping in remote parks, we wanted a rig that would fit in many Fed., St. and Local campgrounds so we bought the 280DS. We felt from the beginning that our needs were minimal, hence we did not need additional sleeping, big refers, large TV's and a large kitchen. The 280 has met our desires without question. Did we have issues? Sure, like most RV owners, but we have been fortunate to have a local dealer from whom we bought the rig and have been very responsive to fixing our issues. I would like to have a larger dinette, but that would have meant a larger unit. The only bug in the ointment is the bed, it is very comfortable, but you cannot work on each side, hence you have to climb on the bed to make it. I keep remembering how we did it in tents and tent trailers in the past, so not so bad in the greater scope of things.
MikeFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:19 PM   #31

Yes
Unless we can afford a DP.
Our coach has been wonderful
The only issue we have had were the Lippert steps and one AC. Dealer is really the key
Forest River has been wonderful and always telling to my emails and standing behind their product. Very good product for the money.
Little things sometimes come up but easily fixed
We bought a 2013 378 XL, 20,000 miles so far
We are headed to Goshen in a couple of weeks
Old 07-26-2016, 07:18 PM   #32

I got a really bad one everything broke a very poorly made motorcoach 2011 Georgetown 35 XLT
campingPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:14 AM   #33
New:

I purchased my 2015 FR GT 328ts in February of last year.
I would absolutely purchase another GT. Most of my issues where with the Dealer and the time it took to fix all my warranty items. All my issues were cosmetic except a bad hydraulic lift that was flawed from the MFR.
What really frustrated me was they hired a new tech and what took 13 months for all the other techs, the new guy did in 1 day.
Hope to see as many of you GT'rs in Goshen!
New: 2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2016 Equinox Tow Vehicle
old: 2013 FR Rockwood 2318G w/ 2001 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel
compman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #34

2010 Georgetown

No I would not purchase another Forest River Georgetown. Since day one, problems with many things. Poorly engineered roof system with wooden rails screwed down length of roof from front to back, prone to leak. Had to return coach to Indiana from Calif to "replace entire roof and ceiling, which was falling. Dometic fridge problems in summer months, Dometic says FR did not build adequate ventilation, FR says its the fridge, meanwhile in summer it shoots up to 45-48 degrees for days. Hydraulic lines blew out; step replaced, gelcoat paint is crackling in black areas; replaced flooring and carpeting; A/C ducting still spews out bits and pieces of foam insulation; cabinet glass falls out; mirror doors fell out; light fixture over dinette fell down; air conditioner replaced. Sure, many of those items are not FR but everywhere you look, poor quality control in the interior build. Tried to trade it in and most sales staff give you the "oh, it's a FR" and tell me the book value is 30 k upside down. And of course that's not FR problem, but I think they know FR has a some ways to go to build a reputation for quality coaches for trade in values to rise.
MattM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:19 PM   #35

Absolutely. This is not my first coach and we absolutely love our 2015 335DS. Sure there were a couple of small problems but building a house and driving it down the road is a pretty tough test for any manufacturer. I have found FR to be responsive and helpful with warranty work and to help me out of jams that I got myself into.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:50 PM   #36

Yes I would.
2014 GT 335DS.
DuncanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #37

I think the answer is yes - we looked at 3-4 different GT models as we like their floorpans than any other we have seen. We had choices across their line up - each had their pros and cons. Inside cabinet space and interior color won out for our choice(see signature line for our choice).

We have had our share of problems since purchasing - this was the disappointing part - more than any other coach we have owned. The rear A/C going out was major but the slide issue that developed during our last trip caused us to bring back to the purchase from dealer vs. our local dealer. For most part the other items are very common equipment that would have been found on any other manufacturer. For the record the list of issues began Memorial weekend 2 1/2 months after purchasing(March 2016).

Hope this helps.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:11 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
I think the answer is yes - we looked at 3-4 different GT models as we like their floorpans than any other we have seen. We had choices across their line up - each had their pros and cons. Inside cabinet space and interior color won out for our choice(see signature line for our choice).

We have had our share of problems since purchasing - this was the disappointing part - more than any other coach we have owned. The rear A/C going out was major but the slide issue that developed during our last trip caused us to bring back to the purchase from dealer vs. our local dealer. For most part the other items are very common equipment that would have been found on any other manufacturer. For the record the list of issues began Memorial weekend 2 1/2 months after purchasing(March 2016).

Hope this helps.
Hello Mickey,

Would you please elaborate on your problem with the slides? Was your slide hydraulic or cables?

Thank,
Old 07-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdle View Post
Hello Mickey,

Would you please elaborate on your problem with the slides? Was your slide hydraulic or cables?

Thank,
Sides are Hydraulic - The passenger side bedroom slide somehow got out of adjustment I guess but when opening the inside drops down, dragging across the carpet - this cause the trim and panelling to peal back like a banana.

The front drivers side slide wobbles from side to side opening or closing - creating black marks across the tile floor.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
Sides are Hydraulic - The passenger side bedroom slide somehow got out of adjustment I guess but when opening the inside drops down, dragging across the carpet - this cause the trim and panelling to peal back like a banana.

The front drivers side slide wobbles from side to side opening or closing - creating black marks across the tile floor.
Sound like all of your slides are miss-aligned somehow, for all of them acting the way you described at the same time is very abnormal. You may want to get down to the basement floor below the slides, you will find the hydraulic cylinders and the floor cutting to guide the square tubing for the slides to go in and out, hopefully, the slots were not "overcut" that cause too wide of a gap for the square tubing to move which could cause more wobbling than normal.

I have the 2016 GT XL 352QS, it has 4 slides when it slid in and out, it works fine, but a little wobbling too, but I think it is normal because it only has one cylinder below the floor in the middle of the slide and guided by two square tubing along the opening on the floor. But is the trim peeling off, then it does not sound very good.

Tags
georgetown