Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2017, 07:23 AM   #1
Team Bleu

Georgetown XL 337

Hi all, hope you can help with my problem. I have a 2013 Georgetown Xl 337. Issue with 12v system. When on battery power, the interior lights work but none of the electrical outlets. Everything works fine on shore power and generator. All fuses and circuit breakers I can find seem to be ok. We tested fuses with a 12v line tester and visually checked the circuit breakers. Any suggestions without bringing it somewhere.
DBsRedVett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:34 AM   #2

Battery power does not provide household standard 110. The inverter only runs the residential fridge if so equipped.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:46 AM   #3

i am confused by your post. From what I can tell you have had this coach for years. Did the outlets that you indicate are not working...work up till now? If you mean the regular AC outlets and they used to work, then for some reason your inverter is turned off. The brochure for the XL line does not mention an inverter, but then it doesn't mention one to power the residential reefer either, which the normal FR brochures do.

Can you give us a little more to go on?

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:37 AM   #4

I have a 2012 337XL. There is no inverter in my coach so the 110 outlets do not work without being hooked up to shore power. Your unit is likely similar.
I intalled my own inverter behind the TV to run the TV and DVR player and an extra outlet, but the factory does not furnish one
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:31 PM   #5
Team Bleu

Thanks for your input but, it appears things get more confusing. The coach has an Inteli-Power 9000/9100 power converter. I don't know if this is the same as an inverter. What is more confusing is the fridge is powered by either shore power or propane when shore power is not available. can't remember if outlets worked in the past as I am usually in a campsite with full hook-up. Basically, I am simply looking to be able to watch television without the generator when shore power is not available
Old 04-06-2017, 05:43 PM   #6
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBsRedVett View Post
Thanks for your input but, it appears things get more confusing. The coach has an Inteli-Power 9000/9100 power converter. I don't know if this is the same as an inverter. What is more confusing is the fridge is powered by either shore power or propane when shore power is not available. can't remember if outlets worked in the past as I am usually in a campsite with full hook-up. Basically, I am simply looking to be able to watch television without the generator when shore power is not available
Based on this information, no you do not have an inverter, which would power outlets off the battery. An inverter takes 12 volt DC battery power and steps it up to 110 volt AC power. The Intelipower converts 110 volt AC power to 12 volt DC power and charges the batteries when plugged up in a campground or when the generator is running.

To watch television you either need to get an inverter installed or buy a 12 volt television.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:54 PM   #7
Team Bleu

Thank you, we just assumed that both TVs came in a 12v cause they are part of the original equipment when we bought the RV, before I had the HD satellite installed.

DO you know what is involved to replace converter with an inverter. Is is simply a matter of buying an inverter and replacing the converter or, as I suspect, is substantial electrical work required.

Thanks again, as basically I am the one out on the road traveling all the time with the dogs for shows, my husband has inly been in it once.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #8
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBsRedVett View Post
Thank you, we just assumed that both TVs came in a 12v cause they are part of the original equipment when we bought the RV, before I had the HD satellite installed.

DO you know what is involved to replace converter with an inverter. Is is simply a matter of buying an inverter and replacing the converter or, as I suspect, is substantial electrical work required.

Thanks again, as basically I am the one out on the road traveling all the time with the dogs for shows, my husband has inly been in it once.
Dual voltage televisions were standard many years ago, but have pretty much gone away.

You don't replace the converter with an inverter, they are separate operations.

There is some electrical work required, I don't consider it substantial but you do need to have a working knowledge of the two systems and how they interact. I would suggest finding a good independent RV repair center, tell them what you want to do and let them price it up for you. To run just a television, and possibly your satellite tuner you would not need a very large inverter, so the cost should be pretty reasonable.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #9
Team Bleu

Thank you Aaron, very helpful

Deb
Old 04-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #10

Yep...you need an inverter. I started down that path since I didn't want to run a 5000 watt generator to watch a 100 watt TV.

There are lots of ways to go and you can search any number of threads about installing an inverter.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:47 PM   #11

My granddaughter wanted to watch the TV while we were on the road, and I really did not want to run the genset just so she could watch TV.
I mounted an inverter behind the TV and ran a cable through a hole in the
counter top behind the TV down to the batteries and wired the inverter directly to the batteries with a fuse connection. Now the TV and DVD can be plugged into the inverter while we are on the road. Not difficult at all
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #12

Check your bedroom TV. Mine is original and its 12volt powered.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown