Old 06-01-2015, 02:10 PM   #1

Georgetown XL 350TS Feedback

Hello! We are thinking of trading in our beloved Rockwood Roo and upgrading to the 2016 Georgetown XL 350TS so that we can more easily take off and see the US with our kids each summer. I am curious to see what owners think of this motorhome and how well it handles a toad. We are planning to pull a Jeep Wrangler behind it. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Old 06-01-2015, 10:35 PM   #2

I noticed you haven't gotten any responses. My wife and I purchased our 2012 XL 350TS about 2 months ago. We've had it camping three times with our granddaughter. Our son-in-law drove it about 200 miles on a day trip. In fact he got turned around in Tampa and had to negotiate some very narrow streets. He had never driven a large RV before but reported that there were no problems and the rig "handled great".

We haven't towed anything yet but have purchased a tow dolly for our upcoming adventures. Will be towing either our Jetta TDI or our mini-van.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #3

XL 350 feedback

Hi
We picked up our 2016 XL 350 black diamond on May 4th. I tow a 2006 Jeep Wrangler. I use a blue ox alpha tow bar along with a blue ox baseplate and blue ox patriot brake controller. So far we are very happy with the motorhome. The only real issue I have found if a lack of heat in the bathroom and the basement wet bays. I performed the cheap handling fix after about 200 miles and the difference in handling is night and day. Handles much better and was easy to do. The best part is it's free. Makes driving the coach much more relaxing. So far so good
Old 06-02-2015, 02:48 PM   #4

XL 350 feedback

I failed to mention that the motorhome pulls my jeep just fine. It is a pretty sweet setup. The 24,000 lb ford F-53 chassis on the XL has 6.17 rear end gears and pulls well
Old 06-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #5

I tow a 2 door Jeep Wrangler without any problems with my Georgetown 373. The only time I notice any difference between towing the Jeep and my previous Toyota Yaris is going up a mountain pass. Even then, it's still perfectly fine. The Jeep weighs 4000 lbs and has the aerodynamics of a brick. The Yaris weighed 2200 lbs and was shaped like a jellybean. I can go a lot more places with the Jeep, and it's way more fun than the Yaris ever was!
Old 06-03-2015, 02:16 PM   #6

I have a 2011 350 and we love it. I am sure there are changes now but we used a tow dolly with a Chevy Traverse and now pull an Equinox 4 down, no problems with either. Good Luck!!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:15 PM   #7

We have a Georgetown 364TS, which has the same F53 chassis. Great coach, but problems with the chassis. 1. Engine is loud, especially in passing gear, 2. Power is poor, but handles our Jeep Liberty toad without any added loss of performance, 3. Biggest problem is sway. I've already added a rear TruTrac track bar and a front steering stabilizer with little improvement. FR paid to get a wheel alignment, which they will normally do within the first 90 days. (Also, tire pressure is important.) Right now, I am installing a Roadmaster 1 & 3/4" anti-sway bar in the back. From the reports I've heard, I probably should have done this first.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #8

We have a 2012 378 xl and love it. We tow a Honda fit with no problem. You will need brakes if you are flat towing the Jeep. We initially used a tow dolly but, honestly, that was a pain. Flat towing is so much easier to hitch. Our V10 engine does fine towing either the Fit (flat tow) or my old Toyota Camry on the dolly.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDIETL View Post
Hi
We picked up our 2016 XL 350 black diamond on May 4th. I tow a 2006 Jeep Wrangler. I use a blue ox alpha tow bar along with a blue ox baseplate and blue ox patriot brake controller. So far we are very happy with the motorhome. The only real issue I have found if a lack of heat in the bathroom and the basement wet bays. I performed the cheap handling fix after about 200 miles and the difference in handling is night and day. Handles much better and was easy to do. The best part is it's free. Makes driving the coach much more relaxing. So far so good
That is exactly what we have ordered and are counting the days! We need to figure out the details on flat towing a Jeep so any insights into flat towing from anyone are greatly appreciated. We have not purchased the Jeep or any towing equipment for it yet and want to be sure to research all of our options first. Thanks to everyone for all of your responses!
Old 06-14-2015, 08:37 PM   #10

(I typed a long reply and the site died before delivery. So, here's another version.)
We are currently in Shipshewana northern IN, and flat towed a Jeep Liberty with no problems whatsoever. We use a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar and a Blue Ox baseplate. Simple (just had to drill two added holes) but time consuming. Went with Blue Ox Patriot brake controller which is very popular if you don't mind taking it in and out every time you want to use it. HOWEVER, we had two four-wheel lockups: One the company called a hard drive failure, and the other was when the actuating arm locked in the fully extended position. The actuator arm is slow to operate and doesn't keep up with the MH brakes. The seat cushions on the Jeep are very soft. So, the Patriot pushes back into the seat before it activates forward. Finally, the Jeep Liberty has a hump on the floor at the driver's heel. Even with the added legs, the Patriot tends to tip over when activated. So, I went with the permanent SMI Stay-IN-Play Dou. $100 Less than the Patriot. Ordered direct from SMI. They said they would match any price. Salesman told me where lowest price was and gave it to me on the spot! Great 24 hour tech support plus DVD installation instructions. This is the one thing I wish I had paid to have installed. Simple but not easy especially if you are electrically challenged like me. One flip of the switch and we are on the road with our toad. (By the way, Jeep is extremely easy to get the drive shafts disconnected -- one switch with the key on and you're done.)

Tags
georgetown