Old 08-13-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
Georgetown XL 377 In the mountains.

Okay so i am about ready to make the jump to a Class A. The best looking floor plan for us looks like the 377 with the L sofa.

Question: how does the V10 perform in the mountains of Colorado and Montana?

Question: How well doe the V10 perform with a 4000 lb toad vs a diesel powwered Class a 38' unit?

Thanka in advance. I really want this unit but need to to know about the V10 vs diesel

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
have driven both, own neither. However with the diesel you can have air suspension, which is a far superior ride, much more torque which you will notice towing and in the mountains. the trade off is much higher maint. costs for the diesel however they retain a much higher resale value. If you plan on keeping it for a long time and do not drive it much than gas is better as diesels do not like to sit idle for long periods of time.

bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #3
we own the GT 378XL and have traveled from Id to Texas and you will not win a race but I have not had an issues and tow my 2012 chevy cruze behind it. We love the floor plan and have not had any major issues. Bob is correct that DP cost more to operate and have to be operated but they do hold their value. If you plan on putting several thousand miles per year then DP may be the way to go. Everything is more $$ with DP. Again I would not trade my GT 378XL in unless I hit the lotto and then it would be for a 45' class A. We are full timers and have been for 5 yrs we traded our truck and 5th wheel in for the motorhome. Find the floor plan you like and don't look back.
Andrew & Donna Reyes
2012 Georgetown 378XL
2015 Ford Taurus
Our Baby Dachshund
ramair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
Thank you much. How well did your V10 do on the mountain interstates speed wise?
US Army - Retired and loving it with our Georgetown 351DS and now our Thor Challenger 37TB.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:14 AM   #5
We just got back from a trip to Western Canada from South Texas and the slowest we got to on any of the mountain passes was 45 mph, and out top speed most of the way was 75 mph. On the hills I was passing big trucks and other Motorhomes, so I was satisfied.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
texcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #6
My experience has been that the v10 holds its own in the mountains and the tow haul feature works well to hold speed down on the downhill side. We travelled the Rockies and seemed to be able to climb as well as the diesels. Although the v10 doesn't match diesel torque it does have 364 hp, about the same as many diesel pushers. It requires higher rpm and a little more noise to get those 364 horses though.
2011 Georgetown 378 towing 2011 Chev HHR 2LT
ohiobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:21 AM   #7
Have a 2014 Georgetown XL 377 and have driven in the mountains without any problems. Wasn't sure on the first trip to the smokies but the v10 handled the grades. The tow haul was all was needed most of the time and occasionally used a lower gear and didn't have to use the brakes as much. Keeping the rpm's up is important. Drove many two lanes with switch backs pulling a tow dolly with a Honda CRV. Love the floor plan in the 377, very comfortable and easy to drive. This is my first class A coach.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
rparker3040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:44 AM   #8
Thank you

I guess it comes down to $s for me. Sounds like the Class A gasser does fairly well by most counts. Initial costs are way lower, fuel lower cost, MPG lower. So I guess for now it is on to the gasser.

Thanks again for all the responses.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #9
How well does that xl 377 ride? Vibration, noise ect..

LouieL is offline   Reply With Quote

georgetown, mount