Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2015, 02:49 PM   #1

Get an alignment on your new motorhome within 90 days of purchase.

I purchased a new 2013 Georgetown and for the most part I am happy with it. However I had to purchase two front tires and get a front end alignment at 10,750 miles, the cost $1,200.00. The passenger front tire outside edge was burned through to the cord. The driver side was not much better. I should have noticed it earlier but I never thought to look at brand new tires.

My motorhome was either not aligned or aligned incorrectly when it was built. The toe was way off and ruined the front tires. It did not pull because both sides were equally off resulting in the tires being pigeon-toed.

Forest River will not help me because my motorhome is out of warranty, it is almost three years old. Even though the tire place said it had to be that way from birth to cause such wear.

Moral of the story. Forest River only warrants alignment for 90 days. Get your new motorhome's alignment checked within those 90 days. If it is out of alignment Forest River should pay for the alignment. My alignment cost $164.95. Moreover, it will give you peace of mind and possibly save the cost of two tires. My tires cost $1,000.00
jamesrnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:27 PM   #2

"My motorhome was either not aligned or aligned incorrectly when it was built. The toe was way off and ruined the front tires. It did not pull because both sides were equally off resulting in the tires being pigeon-toed."

YEP

Ford doesn't know what the HM manufacture will build on the chassis (evidently FR doesn't either) so doesn't preform a factory alignment.

ab&jb
Old 02-03-2015, 10:20 AM   #3

alignment

when you get your alignment be sure to go to a commercial truck shop. They will have the gear to properly ensure front and rear alignment is right.

Besides avoiding the cost of new tires you may also see a measurable improvement in fuel use
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:16 PM   #4

Yes, I must agree that anyone buying a new Georgetown should get the frontend alignment after getting authorization from Forest River first.

I did on my 2012 Georgetown and it was worth the time and effort and made a big difference in driving. I now have over 35,000 miles on my 2012 and my front tires are showing some wear on the outside edges. Last year I put at least 15,000 miles on it and was in Canadian Maritime area where the roads are not the greatest. Sorry Canada.
I have scheduled a frontend alignment for next Monday at my local Ford Commercial truck dealer. My rear tires look great.
Here is a few pictures of my front tires which show the wear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorhome Shots 017.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	69151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorhome Shots 018.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	69152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorhome Shots 019.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	69153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorhome Shots 020.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	376.1 KB
ID:	69154  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:17 AM   #5
Senior Member - Retired

Quick Resposne To Alignment Approval Request

We own a Georgetown XL 334QS purchased in May of 2014. On 2/3/2015 I sent an email to Forest River requesting they pay for a full alignment for my motorhome. I provided the VIN number, delivery date, delivery mileage and current mileage.

There is no capable Ford dealership near me so I suggested Forest River approve my using a facility called Fleet Services in Anaheim, California. Fleet Services does everything from minor mechanical work to complete engine replacements for a wide range of vehicles including motorhomes, busses, ambulances and fire trucks.

In less than twenty four hours I received a response from Forest River approving the alignment up to $250. That is what I call fantastic customer service and standing behind their product.
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #6

Ours was paid also by FR. But I was told it had to be in first 90 days of purchase which we did. I'm shocked they will pay yours 8 months later!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-05-2015, 09:23 PM   #7

They paid for mine after 90 days,after I wrote Motor Home Magazine.Mine had very few miles but they did not want to pay because of time.They are not Aline when they leave FR.
manvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:27 PM   #8
Senior Member - Retired

Got my alignment today at the Orange County California inflated price of $250. As part of the alignment the service center performed the CHF to the front and rear stabilizers. Have only been on surface streets so today but can already notice the difference in handling.

After the alignment I went to a pubic scale and weighed the MH for the first time. I weighed it with a full fresh water tank and gas tank and everything we take with us, except for one person and the contents of the refrigerator. Front axle = 6,500 Rear axle = 15,320 Total = 21,820 GVWR = 24,000
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:30 AM   #9

I had the same situation last Summer at about 30,000 miles. Two new front tires and a laser alignment at a truck service shop. The front passenger side tire was especially worn. Rear tires were fine. The alignment results showed the toe was off by about 20%.

The Georgetown originally came with Michelin 235/80R-22.5 tires. Michelin is the only company that makes this specific size, so their price is higher. I replaced the two front tires with Toyo 245/75R-22.5 tires, which is Toyo's suggested replacement for the unique Michelin size. The replacement Toyo tires are 0.39" smaller diameter than the original tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140630_002.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	69848   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140630_010.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	69849  
Old 02-18-2015, 10:20 PM   #10

Need help were touring down in AZ we are now in Tucson and are heading up to the Pheonix area and are in need of a wheel alignment any suggestions on Ford dealer or other place that can do the job, we have a 2014 377xl.

kdcamper

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
kdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #11

Stopped over at a Rv dealership this morning and they sent over to a wonderful place in Tucson for a front end wheel alignment, now I will have to submit our inv. to FR and try and get a refund, now if you guys are ever down in this area and are in need of work on your unit or need help with your unit try going to Family Auto/Truck Center located at 3340 East Mossman Rd. They are awesome and will try their hardest to help out, had no appointment with them and our unit was done within a couple of hours

Kdcamper 2014 Georgetown towing 2013 Toyota RAV4

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
kdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:37 PM   #12

kdcamper

Contact is David Lidster for appointment 623-842-8815
Cost is still about $200 for a good laser alignment
Sanderson Ford Commercial truck center.
6300 N 51st Ave
Glendale AZ

I have my Georgetown in there now.
John
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #13

Can anyone suggest a Forest River contact to request this alignment to be approved? Just took delivery of mine and want to get one done as soon as possible.
Starboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Fisherman View Post
Got my alignment today at the Orange County California inflated price of $250. As part of the alignment the service center performed the CHF to the front and rear stabilizers. Have only been on surface streets so today but can already notice the difference in handling.

After the alignment I went to a pubic scale and weighed the MH for the first time. I weighed it with a full fresh water tank and gas tank and everything we take with us, except for one person and the contents of the refrigerator. Front axle = 6,500 Rear axle = 15,320 Total = 21,820 GVWR = 24,000

Very interesting. I would expect more weight on the front axle than that. Could be contributing to some of the handling issues that some folks been having. My coach handles really well without any mods. Gonna weigh it and see what the weight distribution looks like.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, motorhome