Old 09-05-2016, 01:15 PM   #1

Getting fed up

I am really starting to get fed up with my GeorgetownXL 377TS. First the windshield Delaminated (still waiting for a new one after 2months) then the rear a/c quit, can't get into the dealer until next week. Now the outside t/v won't turn on. Having a problem with the big t/v in the living room. It goes between being clear for a few hours then goes snowy and sometimes back to clear. The bedroom one is clear so I know the sat t/v cable coming into the RV is good. I tighten all connections I could find but cannot find the cable splitter anywhere. I suspect this is the problem because when I push or pull on the cable coming out of the overhead cabinet, the crackling sound on the t/v will stop. I have searched everywhere for the splitter but no luck. We work for the Army Corps of Engineers so have been staying in the same spot since April. Not real happy with this Forest River Product. Wishing I had my Cardinal 3800FL 5th wheel back.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:10 AM   #2

Our main TV was bad from the factory - snowy, static and intermittent black. After some serious looking, the dealer found the AV input on the TV was bad. Replaced the TV. Something you might consider.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew48 View Post
I am really starting to get fed up with my GeorgetownXL 377TS. First the windshield Delaminated (still waiting for a new one after 2months) then the rear a/c quit, can't get into the dealer until next week. Now the outside t/v won't turn on. Having a problem with the big t/v in the living room. It goes between being clear for a few hours then goes snowy and sometimes back to clear. The bedroom one is clear so I know the sat t/v cable coming into the RV is good. I tighten all connections I could find but cannot find the cable splitter anywhere. I suspect this is the problem because when I push or pull on the cable coming out of the overhead cabinet, the crackling sound on the t/v will stop. I have searched everywhere for the splitter but no luck. We work for the Army Corps of Engineers so have been staying in the same spot since April. Not real happy with this Forest River Product. Wishing I had my Cardinal 3800FL 5th wheel back.
Assuming that you'll have the dealer check / repair this stuff when you get it there. Hopefully that will be the end of it and you'll begin enjoying that nice motorhome.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #4
dfp

Makes me nervous reading about Georgetown equipment failures. We recently bought a new 2015 GT 310DS in Yuma AZ that had sat on the lot for over a year. Yes we had a long list of fixes but between the dealer in Yuma and one in Seattle most things have been taken care of under warranty. I'm hoping that someone from Forestriver follows this forum to make corrections to their QC process. Of course we could all start sending letters to Warren Buffet.

David
2015 GT 310DS and a 2010 Forester Subaru Towed
Old 09-16-2016, 12:15 PM   #5

I grew up with my parents' campers - lots of them. I got a Dutchmen trailer almost 3 years ago. Traded it in for a FR Georgetown XL this year. I grew up with boats. Have owned three myself. All recreational vehicles have what could be considered workmanship issues. Some are better than others. My wife works for a company who has, among other facilities, an assembly line in IN. Their product is plagued with inconsistencies and workmanship issues. The workforce in these factories in IN is fairly seasonal with high turnover rates. One example was of a guy who worked just long enough to get money for his 22" rims, then quit. There are countless RV factories within a stone's throw of each other, meaning people can easily "hop" from place to place. They are building products with materials designed to be easy to assemble b/c the workforce doesn't have typical construction experience (think house building). Combine that with materials designed for weight savings (think cheap and thin), and the fact the end product has to go traverse our crumbling infrastructure, the industry just cannot reliably mass produce a quality product at a price we are willing to accept. Sure, you can get super high quality, but it's generally from low-volume, hand-crafted manufacturers.

Don't get me wrong and don't misinterpret - I wholeheartedly feel the industry can do better and that we as consumers shouldn't have to endure poor quality. I had some serious doubts about our GT (check some of my posts!), but in the end, I feel (a) the quality for price is still one of the best I've seen on the market and (b) the company stepped up and took responsibility for the issues we encountered without fuss. Point b is the best possible statement you can make of any company, no matter what the frustration you felt at the time.

I hope you get the issues fixed and I hope you fall in love with your FR just we did [once the issues were resolved]. Will you have things come up here and there in the future? Absolutely. But that's [mostly] part of RV ownership - the issues that step over the line of "normal" and how FR chooses to deal with it/you will be the real test. In our case, they did great and I could not be happier.

I'll step off my little soapbox now!
Old 09-16-2016, 05:17 PM   #6

Just got a call from my dealer and said everything is fixed and ready for pickup. I hope so. I will say that Forest River has been involved since the start and have stayed in contact with me and the dealer the entire time. Happy with the response so far.