Old 09-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #1

Getting fresh water into tank

Hello everyone, newbie Georgetown 327ds owner here.

I'm having trouble getting fresh water into the holding tank. Just inside the fresh water inlet ( on the side of the RV) is what seems to be a check valve. When we hook up a hose and turn on the water source we can't seem to get water into the tank without spilling water everywhere. It seems we can't get enough pressure going to open up the check valve all the way. 1/2 the water just pushes out of the hose connection and falls to the ground, making a muddy mess in some places.

My house water system is at 60psi. We have tried using the inline pressure regulator (dealer says we should limit inlet pressure to 40psi max) and simply hooking the hose straight to the inlet.

We can actuate the inlet valve by hand by simply pushing on it with a small enough tool, but we can never cleanly fill the fresh tank with a hose as the inlet valve creates back pressure and spills water all over the side of the RV.

I've read about other RVs with a simple, unobstructed hose hole for fresh water fill, but the check valve installed in my inlet is keeping 1/2 the water from entering the tank. We have to push on the hose while filling in order to get any water in and minimize spillage (which still occurs).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #2

there is a little wand that attaches to the end of ur water hose that that can be pushed in there. i had one for my first trailer but the latest one hasn't needed it.
the wand, that i had, looked like 3/8" clear plastic tubing abt 18" long that was open on one end and attached to a garden hose on the other.

i don't know of a check valve on the inside of my fresh water fill tank. i do have one on the city connection. u should not be able to screw a hose on the fresh water tank fill.
there should be a small vent (~1/4") near the fill that will allow air to exit the tank as u fill. that vent has to be open. on my first trailer, the vent tubing to the tank made a dip and would fill with water. that would block water from coming in. i would clear that with air and the tank would accept water.

i hope this has been some help. sense i don't have ur system and am not familiar with how they do it on a motorhome, it may not be like what u have.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #3

Where you hook the hose is a check value of a sort,I took mine apart and reinstalled it .The check will move. I bought a spare at the dealer or walmart has them so times. It is easy to do.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #4

The fresh inlet and the city inlet are the same on my rv. Both have a screw on hose connection, both have the check valve. The city connection also has an inline filter screen. I have attached a photo (hopefully).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2462024609.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	7874  
Old 09-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
Lottery Non-Winner

I have the same connections. I have not tried to fill my tank. The dealer did though prior to delivery. They ran every system on it and demo'd it to me. So I know it was done at least once. I will try to put water in the tank myself this weekend through that connection.
It "should" be as easy and simple as hooking the hose to it, just like the city water connection.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #6

yep, different.

i'm wondering if ur full and that is why it isn't accepting water. i would think ur electronic indicators would be a good indication. mine work well on the fresh water. the black and grey so so.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Flagstaff 625D Popup

You could have a blocked / kinked breather hose.
The breather hose lets the air out of the tank so the water can go in.

Bean
Old 09-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
Anacortesians

There may also be one of those conical mesh filters buried deep into the inlet screw sleeve, which incorporates the sealing gasket also. They can get severely blocked, enough to cut the flow by 90% and you might not notice they'r in there.

Both the city and potable connections on my GT325 have them.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #9

The dealer did fill my tank, 1/3 of that water splashed out on the way home, but that's another thread i'm also currently reading (i assume out the vent).

We have already filled twice, but 1/2 the water winds up on the ground during the process and we have to physically hold the hose against the rv in order to get any water in at all.

The tank is 1/3 full now, we dry camped and drove home. Both the meter and a visual inspection of the tank level confirm this.

I'll check the rest of the parts and lines today, I assume the hose connection comes apart by unscrewing the 4 connector mounting screws surrounding the connector.

I'll also contact the dealer, it's time.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:57 AM   #10

I have a 2004 Lexington. I have screens and screw hose fittings for both the city water and other connection. I am completely new. I have never attached a hose to my MH. The previous owner never did as well, as it was used by a business as a hospitality vehicle. I noticed underneath the MH, just on the other side of the wall, that the water hose for both inlets seem to tee off to a 12 inch long hose that seems to just open to the ground. What is this? Won;t water just spill on the ground when I connect a hose to either?