Old 05-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scagsdale View Post
Step stabilizers? That sounds like a good idea. Are they expensive?
20 bucks for the one permanently mounted that fold up and less for the manual ones. Made by Camco.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #32

Our 2013 351 came with the lippert steps... FR was giving me hell about it the first time the shoulder bolt broke, so I ended up contacting lippert directly, easy folks to work with! Sent me two new shoulder bolts at no charge, pita to fix, but won't kill ya... Next I ran out of bolts in 3 months... Lippert then sent out a full new set...worked great from July of last season to 2 weeks ago, notice most of that time it's been in storage. Lippert though stepped up ** and sent me another set! again! Oh well...I'm going to redesign it when it fails again, so I'll post pics of what we come up with...

Tip on picking up your 351... Try to make a deal with the dealer on parts and labor to install a blue ox tiger trac or similar trac bar on the rear... get the front end aligned right away, our axle was slightly bent, while they're fixing the front, have them put on a steering stabilizer also. Once you get her home, do the CHF and your GT will be a dream to drive! I wish someone would have told me this info before I bought...took me a good 3 weeks of white knuckling it before I made the changes, and now I drive comfortably and giggle to myself as I pass guys holding on for dear life in a little crosswind... All these changes will help your investment drive easier and safer...plus, it's more fun when you're not stressed from driving when you get to camp!

--Life is Good...!
CaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyC View Post
Our 2013 351 came with the lippert steps... FR was giving me hell about it the first time the shoulder bolt broke, so I ended up contacting lippert directly, easy folks to work with! Sent me two new shoulder bolts at no charge, pita to fix, but won't kill ya... Next I ran out of bolts in 3 months... Lippert then sent out a full new set...worked great from July of last season to 2 weeks ago, notice most of that time it's been in storage. Lippert though stepped up ** and sent me another set! again! Oh well...I'm going to redesign it when it fails again, so I'll post pics of what we come up with...

Tip on picking up your 351... Try to make a deal with the dealer on parts and labor to install a blue ox tiger trac or similar trac bar on the rear... get the front end aligned right away, our axle was slightly bent, while they're fixing the front, have them put on a steering stabilizer also. Once you get her home, do the CHF and your GT will be a dream to drive! I wish someone would have told me this info before I bought...took me a good 3 weeks of white knuckling it before I made the changes, and now I drive comfortably and giggle to myself as I pass guys holding on for dear life in a little crosswind... All these changes will help your investment drive easier and safer...plus, it's more fun when you're not stressed from driving when you get to camp!
It sounds like you've change out more bolts than tank fills. I can't believe FR hasn't taken care of you especially since it's a recurrent safety problem.

Did your dealer pay for the trac bar and stabilizer? That would be awesome. How do you like your RM stabilizer. It appears they are the most inexpensive out there.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
It sounds like you've change out more bolts than tank fills. I can't believe FR hasn't taken care of you especially since it's a recurrent safety problem.

Did your dealer pay for the trac bar and stabilizer? That would be awesome. How do you like your RM stabilizer. It appears they are the most inexpensive out there.

The issue was when we purchased the coach...this was a bit before they pulled the trigger for warranting with the other steps, plus I have a guy that does all my work...so, they sent me to lippert, which made me happy and shut me up... Well, now that the steps have failed again, FR doesn't want to have anything to do with us since we're out of warranty...! Like I said though...we will redesign it and I'll post the fix when it fails again for everyone in the same boat I am..

Dealer didn't even mention anything about it. When we test drove, we could tell the alignment was off, they said to let it go for a good 500 miles and then get it aligned with a shop. *first time buyer*uh...okay... Brought it home, went right to storage for the next 4 months.
First trip out, 150 mile adventure to fair Oakes area in Indiana...white knuckled it the whole way. Soon as I got home, after talking to folks about how their coaches handled and with some help from these forums, I ordered the parts. Took everything to a truck axle shop, where I found out about the bent axle on the front. That was straighted and he fixed the alignment, which was absolutely horrible. He installed the tiger trac also. Had my guy put in the steering stab. And I did the CHF. After that, it has been pleasure to drive...! I even called the dealer and mentioned they should put together a package..."make your GT drive like a caddy, not a bread truck" package, he'll, I would have bought it!
the RM stabilizer has been great. I didn't see the need to be able to trim out the steering, I'd never use it up here, so I went with RM. Decent price and fast shipping.

Sometimes I wonder if I should stencil what I've done on to the back of our jeep, so the people that don't know are informed as I pass, "hey! you don't have to suffer, man! Just do this!"

--Life is Good...!
Old 05-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyC View Post
The issue was when we purchased the coach...this was a bit before they pulled the trigger for warranting with the other steps, plus I have a guy that does all my work...so, they sent me to lippert, which made me happy and shut me up... Well, now that the steps have failed again, FR doesn't want to have anything to do with us since we're out of warranty...! Like I said though...we will redesign it and I'll post the fix when it fails again for everyone in the same boat I am..

Dealer didn't even mention anything about it. When we test drove, we could tell the alignment was off, they said to let it go for a good 500 miles and then get it aligned with a shop. *first time buyer*uh...okay... Brought it home, went right to storage for the next 4 months.
First trip out, 150 mile adventure to fair Oakes area in Indiana...white knuckled it the whole way. Soon as I got home, after talking to folks about how their coaches handled and with some help from these forums, I ordered the parts. Took everything to a truck axle shop, where I found out about the bent axle on the front. That was straighted and he fixed the alignment, which was absolutely horrible. He installed the tiger trac also. Had my guy put in the steering stab. And I did the CHF. After that, it has been pleasure to drive...! I even called the dealer and mentioned they should put together a package..."make your GT drive like a caddy, not a bread truck" package, he'll, I would have bought it!
the RM stabilizer has been great. I didn't see the need to be able to trim out the steering, I'd never use it up here, so I went with RM. Decent price and fast shipping.

Sometimes I wonder if I should stencil what I've done on to the back of our jeep, so the people that don't know are informed as I pass, "hey! you don't have to suffer, man! Just do this!"
I love your idea. There are a few sellers on ebay that will make whatever decal you want. It'll be like our forum signatures but on the back of the coach. CHF, TigerTrak, Koni, 5 Star, etc.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #36
gspage53

Send a message via Yahoo to gspage53
Hey Al, got 2 blinds on my new GT351 that could use your DIY? Can you explain in layman's terms? I'm pretty much still the village idiot on the 351DS (2 trips done).
Old 05-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspage53 View Post
Hey Al, got 2 blinds on my new GT351 that could use your DIY? Can you explain in layman's terms? I'm pretty much still the village idiot on the 351DS (2 trips done).

Ha! Village idiot! We are 5 trips in, and we've manage to flood the coach, busy a gallon of milk all over the coach, break the master bedroom door, tear the receiver off the hitch and break the water filter. So you are not alone in the idiot department. I keep telling my husband all these mistakes will make us pros sooner than later. Haha!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingmomx4 View Post
Ha! Village idiot! We are 5 trips in, and we've manage to flood the coach, busy a gallon of milk all over the coach, break the master bedroom door, tear the receiver off the hitch and break the water filter. So you are not alone in the idiot department. I keep telling my husband all these mistakes will make us pros sooner than later. Haha!

Heck, your describing our typical trip out....! Lol

--Life is Good...!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
If the OP is getting a new one 2014 they come with Kwikees. Not sure about last year or older though.

My 2013 did not come with Kwikees. My bolt sheared within 6 months after very little use. Dealer installed Kwikees. Much better.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #40
gspage53

Send a message via Yahoo to gspage53
I counted the drive home from the sales lot as a trip. 5 lanes of interstate traffic during rush hour on an elevated interstate at 70 mph and only thing I ever drove close to it was a deuce and a half in the army. I'm still trying to figure out how DW and I made it home. 40 mph winds just about did me in on that first drive. But I still wanna go.