Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2017, 06:59 PM   #1

GFCI circuits inoperative on inverter

During my walk through of my new Georgetown 32L5, all electrical outlets were tested to verify which operate on the inverter. ALL outlets in the coach tested 'hot.'

Now my GFCI outlets do not operate on the inverter. Dealer's service department now says this is, "as per design."

My thought: Since all worked at walkthrough, they should all work now, or be repaired to work on the inverter.

Any thoughts on the dealer's service department now telling me the GFCI outlets do not work on the inverter?

Any thoughts on what may have changed in the coach that would now cause them to not work in the inverter?
McCormickJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:43 PM   #2

During the Walk thru, was the coach plugged into shore power? My outlets only work on shore power or generators. (378 - 2014)
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:51 PM   #3
Site Team

Usually only residential fridge and one or two outlets run on inverter.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:57 PM   #4

Coach was not plugged into shore power and the generator was not running.

All outlets tested 'hot' during walk through.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:20 PM   #5

Not an expert but sounds like bull pucky if they worked on a walkthrough they should work now. GFCI should only be a ground fault so you don't shock the pants off of you in the bathroom or an outside Outlet. I have a 327 2015 they only work when the generator is on or the shore Powers plugged in. Surprised they worked during the walk-through......
outofTucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:34 PM   #6

Bull pucky?
Old 11-29-2017, 08:36 PM   #7

sorry for the language.. I just think some dealers get carried away and make excuses.. a lot of times I know what they're talking about but they try to snow you
outofTucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:51 PM   #8

Do the outlets work when you are plugged in or on the GENSET?
Old 11-29-2017, 09:44 PM   #9

If the battery cut off is not engaged and the GFCI on the inverter refuses to latch, then the inverter is blown. It means the final stage is not providing the 110 V the GFCI needs to latch.

It should also latch when on Generator or shore power.

Happened to me and I was able to get a warranty replacement. Quickly sold and and upgraded to the Xanttex Freedom Xi. Almost the same price and much better specs.
Modmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:01 AM   #10

it seems very unusual that 'all' 110 vac outlets would work off the inverter. that would imply that multiple branch circuits would be receiving inverter output power. that would imply that the inverter output would be connected to the 110 vac distribution panel and if this were the case it would try to power things like a/c's, refrigerator, etc. that would be a very big inverter! also, many inverters have a gfci built into them that is used as the output receptacle. if this is the case they would not work well when connected to circuit that contains additional gfci's.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
it seems very unusual that 'all' 110 vac outlets would work off the inverter....
I can guarantee they are not. The Prowatt SW 2000 typically included in Georgetown RVs can only provide 15 amps max before tripping.

While modern residential fridges have a lower consumption the draw will typically spike around 10 times more on starting up. Ex: 1 amp rated fridge will draw 10 amps on startup.
Modmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:08 PM   #12

Answering Chrisbailey13's question, yes. All outlets work when on either generator or shore power.

On the Georgetown 31L5, everything electrical seems to work "appropriately." The big power draws like microwave and AC do not work on the inverter. The heater and all fans work on the inverter as do all of the electrical outlets that are not on the GFCI circuit.

What I'm looking for is ideas to take back to the dealer to help him identify why all electrical outlets were 'hot' on the inverter during the walkthrough but now the GFCI circuit is not 'hot.' The GFCI circuit has been reset at the Test/Reset but the circuit remains off when operating with no generator or shore power.

Prior to buying the unit, I had expectations that the bedroom (for CPAP machines) and one or two more outlets would work on the inverter. I was thrilled to find that ALL outlets tested 'hot' on the inverter.

Now that thrill has turned to a little disappointment. Sure would be nice to identify what changed after the walk through.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:23 PM   #13

I'm totally unfamiliar with your setup, so please forgive me if I'm wrong.
Can you check the manual that came with the inverter to see if the output is GFCI protected, or can you see it on the inverter itself. Because if it is then you can not have an additional GFCI inside the coach on the same circuit.
Also, we only have GFCI protected outlets in the bathroom, exterior and near the kitchen sink, they are also clearly labeled. Maybe your's are labeled incorrectly and you have something else going on.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:53 PM   #14
llr

does yours have a power management system that shuts things off if not enough power is available? I so try turning off everything else that uses AC, water heater, fridge etc and re-check the outlets.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:57 PM   #15

The inverter has a standard GFI outlet. The refrigerator is powered by one outlet. Perhaps you could run an"extension" cord from the other outlet to the bedroom to power your CPAP
Old 11-30-2017, 12:58 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
The heater and all fans work on the inverter
These are usually 12VDC powered and have nothing to do with the inverter.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:40 PM   #17

Have 2016 369xl. Outlet, except for frig only operate on shore or gen power.
Frank DeFeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:27 PM   #18
Just as confused as you

[QUOTE=McCormickJim;1679886]The heater and all fans work on the inverter

Lights, furnace, fans, water pump, awnings, slide outs, tank level indicators, stabilizers and radio/stereo work on 12vdc. If you are plugged into shore power or generator then your converter uses 120vac and converts it to 12vdc to recharge your batteries and power the 12vdc items listed above.

A/C, tv, microwave, residential refrigerator, electric fireplace, and all your outlets operate from 120vac when your on shore power or generator.

If you are boondocking the inverter, which is a separate function, even if it is built into the power center, will take 12vdc from your batteries and invert it to 120vac for your residential refrigerator and maybe 1 other outlet.

To have an inverter supply 120vac to everything in your RV will take a large inverter and more than 2 or 4 batteries to last you through the night.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
Answering Chrisbailey13's question, yes. All outlets work when on either generator or shore power.

On the Georgetown 31L5, everything electrical seems to work "appropriately." The big power draws like microwave and AC do not work on the inverter. The heater and all fans work on the inverter as do all of the electrical outlets that are not on the GFCI circuit.

What I'm looking for is ideas to take back to the dealer to help him identify why all electrical outlets were 'hot' on the inverter during the walkthrough but now the GFCI circuit is not 'hot.' The GFCI circuit has been reset at the Test/Reset but the circuit remains off when operating with no generator or shore power.

Prior to buying the unit, I had expectations that the bedroom (for CPAP machines) and one or two more outlets would work on the inverter. I was thrilled to find that ALL outlets tested 'hot' on the inverter.

Now that thrill has turned to a little disappointment. Sure would be nice to identify what changed after the walk through.

If you have 2 inverters I would look to see if you have 2 transfer switches. Maybe one is not working properly.
Let us know if you have 1 or 2 inverters. That could help narrow down where your issue is.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:24 AM   #20

i'm having a hard time wrapping by head around this. some clarification of the following would help
what does 'everything electrical seems to work appropriately' mean? there are 12vdc and 110 vac devices
do you have a residential refrigerator? does it work on the inverter?
was does 'all electrical outlets were hot on the inverter' mean? how were they tested? are you 100% sure there was no shore power or generator power present during this time?
what type / model inverter do you have? do you have multiple inverters?
how many and type of batteries do you have?

what's bothering me is thinking that a circuit that has a gfci device in it is connected to an inverter that most likely also has a gfci device in it. also, to power a residential refrigerator and several 110 vac convenience outlets i'm thinking you would have a large inverter (or two) and a large battery bank. I can't get a handle on the statement the 'all' 110vac convenience outlets are wired to work off the inverter.

Tags
inverter