Old 07-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #11
As I understand it, if you've owned the coach since new and have every repair documented (all receipts), it can be good. But I've heard more bad than good. It would be important to understand how they would cover something that had been previously repaired (if at all).

I have to admit, I would have a hard time spending the money even if I had a new coach after what I've heard and read. I met one couple who were suing GS after not covering a major AC repair.

Mark & Karla + 3 Kitties
2008 Berkshire 390-QS
Bigfork, Montana
smo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #12
I have route 66, I have only made 1 claim so far for the electric tongue jack. I removed the jack myself, brought it to my dealer, they replaced it no questions asked. Because I brought it to the dealer that I bought my warranty from, I didn't even have a deductible.

2015 Salem 27RKSS
2011 Dodge RAM 1500 Hemi 5.7
dirkpitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:34 PM   #13
I bought a Star RV extended warrantee with the purchase of my Cardinal 5th wheel and had several expensive claims which they paid with no hassle. When the term expired I tried to renew but they only handle new units with the policy sold by the dealer. I have Good Sam now, but haven't filed a claim yet...though it does seem expensive.
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:12 PM   #14
Extended warranty

Good Sam paid for a broken slide out no problem. My local RV repair/service center said they have no problem working with GS. Also use GS roadside assist. Response to a dead battery while out on the road was good too. My pickup battery died when I was in a gas station (they cover all of your vehicles, not just your motor home or trailer).
milvet33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #15
Thanks for all the feedback I think I'm just going to save money every month and put it in a coach fund vices taking the chance of needing them and them not covering whatever the problem is and now I'm out the cost of the warranty and the cost of the repair. Can't take that chance
Marine007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:01 PM   #16
I have had Good Sam Roadside assistance, always great service. I also have Good Sam extended warranty, The beginning of July both A/Cs went out.
Since it was the 4th of July I had to wait until Tuesday. The 10 day trip interruption is one day per 8 hours of labour. The best I might do is one day $100 hotel expense. We were in a motel 6 nights waiting for Dometic to ship the units. Still don't know how much, if any GS will pay.
badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:32 AM   #17
Angry Good Sam Extended Warranty

Originally Posted by sdowning View Post
We have the Good Sam warranty. I'm calling tomorrow to make my 1st claim on our slide and a/c unit. This could be a big hit. One guy thought just fur the slide somewhere around $1500. We have a cable that snapped.
My 2011 Wildwood slide wasn't working properly so I took it into Camping World. The slide has a single track on the bottom of the slide out (along with 4 rollers on the frame). They diagnosed the problem as a broken tooth on the gear. Slide out would have to be removed to correctly install new gear. They called Good Sam Extended Warranty and were told "no", it was a Forest River install problem. I have never had a claim before. In fact, just last spring, the trailer was in to Camping World for the slide out to be serviced and aligned. This is a very expensive repair with 4-6 hours of labor estimated. Plus my trailer has now been at Camping World for 7 weeks! I am beyond frustrated and don't see any point in having an extended warranty. Better off saving $350 a year and putting it into a bank account. Plus my deductible is $500.
wildwoodtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:22 PM   #18
You may try a quote from coach-net. They include basic road side with the policy at no additional charge . I have not had to use them yet but the policy was a lot less than GS.
2016 Georgetown 328ts
2015 Fiat 500 Toad
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:04 PM   #19
Put it in the bank! There are a few good reports here, but the majority we see on this forum are negative toward extended service contracts. Here are the five big things I would consider.
1. Dealer/authorized repair facility has little incentive to fix problem in a timely manner. A private RV repair facility is incentivized to get it fixed and out the door quickly.
2. When you have an existing warranty, such as on the refrigerator, you may have to contact the manufacturer on your own. Most service plans don't cover things still under warranty.
3. Here's the big one. The service contract company arbitrarily determines how many hours a repair should take. So, if they think it should take five hours for a repair and the dealer/repair facility takes ten hours, guess who pays the difference!
4. Read the small print, you may be surprised about what's not covered.
5. There are a whole bunch of things a lot of us just fix on our own rather than drive three hours to a repair facility or lose the use of it in the shop for a month or two.
Remember, the service contract owner makes more money denying/limiting claims not paying them.
2015 GT 364TSF
Vince and Charlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:18 PM   #20
Good Sam Extended Warranty

Our experience with Good Sam has been mixed. We just had our breaks replaced and got tagged for $1K for it and the repair place said Good Sam would not pay. We had a part of the refrigerator replaced and they didn't pay.

Several years ago they did pay for some repairs no problem. This time, we called Good Sam to complain. They had notes on our claim and said that our repair place did not know what they were doing when it came to stating causes for problems and that we should probably take the camper somewhere else where they know how to put things in proper perspective.

We asked for a name and they gave us a name where we took the camper. The camper is still there and being worked on in dribs and drabs. They have tons of work going on. Probably because they can get the insurance to pay. Our old place would get things done in one day and did a fantastic job.

The owner of this place said the problem with the RV repair industry is that repair places want their money now and do not want to wait for the insurance to pay so they don't "code" it right. (Like when the doctor's office codes a treatment wrongly and the insurance will not pay when if they coded the same treatment a different way the insurance would have paid.)

We shall see from what i understand, there should only be one deductable to pay for the several problems that we are having repaired.

I will let you know.

Reb Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote

good sam, warranty