Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #1

Grrrr Toilet problems

Grrrrrr we were hoping for an issue-free period. Two problems with Dometic 310 toidy.

Problem #1 toilet was not closing when foot pedal was released. Turned off water, snapped on rubber gloves, cleaned and greased underside of seal, problem has gone away for a while.

Problem #2, toilet continues to fill from pereodic trickle of water from fill holes. Over the course of the day will go 6-8 inches deep. Reading manual appears to be no adjustments to water valve, seems to indicate replace. Seems odd on a brand new unit with likely less than 100 flushes on it. Any1 had the issue?

Seems like installing a shut-off valve before the toidy is now on my to-do list as well. Don't like the idea that it could self-fill to overflowing......
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Ours did the same thing,Forest River replaced it when we stopped in at Elkhart in the spring.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #3

Sounds like you have a bunch of junk build up from the build in the toilets valve area. If you want to shut off water and disassembly isn't that difficult.
Bet it is filed up with plastic shavings.

Good Luck
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #4

Looks like the valve assembley is pushed into place from the back side of the toilet, but the two pop up/down clips are sprung very tightly..... does the whole valve assembly just push out backwards if you spring those clips? or do you unbolt the toilet from the floor and get to it from the underside?

just worried about pushing those clip too hard, snapping them, and having to pee in the flower bed at the in-laws
Old 05-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinkorSwim View Post
Looks like the valve assembley is pushed into place from the back side of the toilet, but the two pop up/down clips are sprung very tightly..... does the whole valve assembly just push out backwards if you spring those clips? or do you unbolt the toilet from the floor and get to it from the underside?

just worried about pushing those clip too hard, snapping them, and having to pee in the flower bed at the in-laws
What type of toilet do you have? Do you have the manuf book? It should have the breakdown of the toilet.
I will attach my document to see if it looks like yours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April 26 2012 003.jpg
Views:	927
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	14178  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic_310_Manual.pdf (284.3 KB, 914 views)
File Type: pdf Dometic_310_Parts.pdf (332.6 KB, 742 views)
Old 05-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #6

Or it may be like this one
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Style II. pdf.PDF (509.3 KB, 451 views)
Old 05-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #7

Thanks Iggy,
This is very informative info and I will save for future referance as we too have an issue with leaking at the floor flange..

Barney
barlin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:09 AM   #8

Disconnected the cold supply line and tried blowing compressed air through the valve, when opened by pressing the foot lever, but valve still leaking. Notice crimped on fittings at at the valve, and it looks like the replacement valve kit also requires crimp fittings so going to look for a repair place on our route.

How do Forest River warranty repairs work when you are on the road? Contact original dealership for authorization? John at FR? Pick any repair shop or ones they choose?
Old 05-22-2012, 06:06 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Since I repaired my Thetford toilet myself, I know what a chore it is.
However, it is very easy and you can do it yourself.

In fact since you have it apart, you can actually put some upgrades in at the same time to make your "Hopper" the coolest one in the park (Unless I am there too).

I am worried you might have damaged your valve by trying to blow air through the water inlet. There is a tiny hole in the flush line that can be blocked by a granule of Calcium or bit of anode (sucked into the cold pipe from the water heater due to pressure changes in the pipes when the cold tap is opened).

See what is involved in this thread:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...c-v-15261.html
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #10

Our RV came with the Dometic 310 and it too would fill slowly and after a year or so started leaking around the base. I removed the toilet expecting to find a leak around the seal however it turned out to be leaking where the porcelain top and plastic base are connected. They are connected with four bolts into plastic connectors and the connectors broke allowing a bit of movement and thus leakage. The documentation states that the top and base are not to be taken apart and I was unable to get parts to fix it. Replaced with a Thetford Aqua Plus, a much better built toilet.

The Dometic is warranted for a period of two years so you may be able to get it replaced.
riversedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

I finally looked at your IPB. (Illustrated Parts Breakdown).

It looks like your valve body is totally different than mine. The water control is actually at the foot control and not connected by a wire like mine is. I think a replacement is your only recourse.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #12

Frustrated with toilet 8314BSS - Signature Ultra Lite 2012

I have had since last year and have used 7 times this year the toilet always backs up. I have the automatic rinse out on side. I have to put about 20 gallons of water into rinse it out every time I use to get everything out of tank it takes me about 1 1/2 hours to deal with this. I have had it in 4 times and it is in now in again. They tell me use a garbage can for toilet paper I told them unacceptable. I had an 18 ft Pioneer and never had problems with toilet. My dad has a 2012 Big horn and neither of those have this problem. I love this travel trailer it is awesome!! Anyone have this problem? I have a re-occurring drainage problem. It will not clear with the flush spray from the hose inlet. We have to move the build up out of the way of the opening with a stick and pouring those buckets of water down to move it. I have had to bring a water hose into the trailer and use the force of that spray to get the flow moving. This seems to be a very poor design. Is there a correction my local dealer can do to correct this problem? They are not having any luck!!
trustheart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad