Old 08-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #1

GT 328TS- Full size fridge question

Im currently looking at a leftover 2014 GT 328 TS and was wondering about the fridge. How long will the full size unit run on the inverter and battery only? Does the engine alternator keep the batteries and inverter functioning while traveling down the road?

I also noticed quite a price spread on these units from just over 85k to 95K with the same options. Any opinions on pricing.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:28 PM   #2

Good question. We have one, but haven't tried boondocking yet. Over all we have been thrilled with this coach so far. Very few problems, handles good. Comfortable. The ice maker is nice, too, as is all of the space in that fridge. It's better than the one we have at home.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 08-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #3

Louiel...MHSRV had them most of the year new for $89,999 loaded so now that it is a leftover in the 2015 model year...you should be able to get a deal at the lower end of your scale.
I don't have the fridge but I think others have said that with the pair of 6V batts added + inverter, they can boondock 24 hours before the genny needs to be run...and YES...running down the road, the alternator will keep the batts topped up and you can run the inverter for the fridge.
Good luck with the deal!
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:54 AM   #4

I have a 2014 328TS and love it. Very few problems and none that the dealer and warranty hasn't covered. Love the fridge. Love that it can run off the batteries/inverter when I stop at rest areas or other short stops, but haven't tested it beyond a couple of hours.

I agree with the post just above...look to the lowest end of your range for a good deal on that coach. Most of all, when you do buy it, post some pics and ENJOY!
States Camped: Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, and Ontario CA.
swiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #5

I am not an electrical wizard, but these refrigerators use between 8.5 and 10.0 amps when they run. Two 100 amp 12VDC batteries should provide about 100 amps at 50% discharge. If my math is correct, 10 to 12 operating hours is all you will get and these things run about 75% of the time.

I think they are great and would love to have one but, if I were going to boondock, I would add 2 more batteries to be sure the system would handle extended time off the grid.

I would like to hear from someone who has let theirs set in the front yard, unplugged, for a couple of days.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #6

Guys I appreciate the replies
Old 08-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post

I would like to hear from someone who has let theirs set in the front yard, unplugged, for a couple of days.

Bill
Ditto
Old 08-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #8

Examples of measured draws from other site discussing Samsung RF197 (18cu ft. double french door/bottom freezer):

"I have four 6volt batteries. Starting from a full charge at bedtime, in the morning I'm at about 80% in the morning. That's with the ice maker off.
I would be better with six batteries ...Overall, dry camping with the Samsung is fine with four batteries, just need to manage the loads."

"Yesterday, I reset the Kill-O-Watt ...
The latest readings were for all of November and part of October, a total of 864 hours of running time with 66 KwH used during that time frame.That works out to about 1.83 KW per day." (150 amphours w/ ICEMAKER off)"

It appears as if icemaking takes a real toll on run time and should be left off when boondocking unless you are on the genny and recharging the batts.
It is also evident that use is much higher in daytime than during the night when ambient temp is lower AND the doors aren't being opened.
Looks like 4 6volts total for the house meets minimum requirements if your total electric use for 24 hours can be limited to around 50 amps + the fridge. Otherwise another couple (or at least 3 dedicated group 100 12V for the fridge alone) would be needed for 24 hour service without the genny.
Personally, I'd want an inverter with a 100amp+ charger built in and probably AGM's to keep the genny run time down in such a set up if I were going to do a lot of boondocking.
Hope that is useful to some here.
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #9

I appreciate all the info. Im certainly still uneasy as to how this unit will work for us. Has Forest River released an official time of operation on batteries only?? Im wondering how they compare to whats been calculated here.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #10

Here is my experience while tailgating. We only have the standard batteries no extra. While driving on Friday, the engine keeps charging the battery that is used by the inverter. Once we are parked the fridge runs all afternoon and night. On Saturday the rv engine runs a bit and the generator runs a bit but by and large the rv is dry camping. By Sunday we are still only at 1/3 battery. Love the inverter

Tags
fridge