Old 05-13-2014, 10:43 PM   #1

GT 351DS - Exterior Cargo Tray

We are thinking of adding an exterior cargo tray (slide in and out) to the back cargo area. Does anyone have one or had experience with one? Is it effective or does it get in the way?

Thanks!

Old 05-14-2014, 07:40 AM   #2

I haven't seen the basement cargo tray face to face, but from the pictures it looks like it wastes a lot of space. However, it's a great idea for folks with bad backs or those that can't crawl in there to get things out of reach. It's kind of like a handicap ramp. Another thing to consider is that the more weight you put back there, the more weight you put on the rear axle. The cargo tray limits how much stuff you can put in there so it helps with weight.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:12 PM   #3
gspage53

Send a message via Yahoo to gspage53
I agree Al. I too rode Harley's for 20 years and was in an Army airborne unit for 6 years. I no longer have many vertebrae that aren't damaged. What I'd like to hear is who, if any, could tell me some innovative ways to stack, store, and retrieve cargo from the rear without compromising space and weight. DW and I will begin full timing next summer.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:27 PM   #4

We went ahead and ordered our 351ds with the tray. If it doesn't improve usage of the cargo bay we'll remove it.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspage53 View Post
I agree Al. I too rode Harley's for 20 years and was in an Army airborne unit for 6 years. I no longer have many vertebrae that aren't damaged. What I'd like to hear is who, if any, could tell me some innovative ways to stack, store, and retrieve cargo from the rear without compromising space and weight. DW and I will begin full timing next summer.
I've been lucky with my back, but not my legs. Too many crazy days in the desert....it's a long story. My right ear is shot due to almost 20 years of riding a Wide Glide with V&H pipes. Anywho, DW bought me a bungee cord kit that came with all sorts of brackets. I install one of them from side to side to stop tings from moving around too much. It was a quick fix, but not a permanent one.

I will eventually do something about it because it's painful crawling inside that basement. What it needs is a tray similar to what's available on the 15's. Man, if I had access to the materials that FR has, I could actually make these RVs a lot more functional. Instead of having the tray populate the entire basement, it just needs to be in the middle hump part. I would make it the size of the middle part and as wide as possible. It will then slide out up to the door or flush with the side wall. By making it that way, you still have room on the sides for stuff that can be reached from both doors.

I need to find some heavy duty sliders that could hold some weight and then make the tray out of wood.

Tags
exterior