Old 12-29-2014, 09:50 PM   #1

GT tech upgrades and first looks

We have had our 351DS for a little over a month now. We have put close to a thousand miles on it and have new camping sites booked each month through March. So far we love it and have had minor issues that RV City II in Benton, AR has taken care of.

I wish the Jensen radio came with a USB input. Has anyone worked out something there? I plan to replace/addon a couple of the electrical outlets with USB charging ports. My 5th wheel had more 12v connections that this rig. Need a place to plug in all the phones for charging.

The trim around the outside if the bathroom has come loose but not a big deal to fix. Unfortunately the towel bar on the bathroom door came loose over Christmas holidays. Not sure exactly how to fix that one.

I don't understand the large unused space behind the bedroom TV and may give a try to one of the ideas I have seen here.

Not impressed with the heating capabilities of the Ford itself while driving. Puts out Luke warm air when outside 30 or so. Does the front need a cover to help heat up the can? I hate to run propane or electric heat driving down the road.

Side windows are deafening... Tried several quick fixed on last trip but still have work to do there.

I am not sure how the twin thermostats work regarding heat. I only have heat strips in the front AC unit and it really doesn't do anything. Both thermostats have a furnace setting but if course there is only one gas furnace. Does the rear bedroom thermostat control the furnace at all? This pat weekend the furnace did not seem to come on like it should have in fact I "manually" turned it on by cycling the settings from off and back to furnace (and the furnace immediately came on.) I may have to have this looked at. Not an easy chores any dealer is several hours away.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb5sej View Post
We have had our 351DS for a little over a month now. We have put close to a thousand miles on it and have new camping sites booked each month through March. So far we love it and have had minor issues that RV City II in Benton, AR has taken care of.

I wish the Jensen radio came with a USB input. Has anyone worked out something there? I plan to replace/addon a couple of the electrical outlets with USB charging ports. My 5th wheel had more 12v connections that this rig. Need a place to plug in all the phones for charging.

The trim around the outside if the bathroom has come loose but not a big deal to fix. Unfortunately the towel bar on the bathroom door came loose over Christmas holidays. Not sure exactly how to fix that one.

I don't understand the large unused space behind the bedroom TV and may give a try to one of the ideas I have seen here.

Not impressed with the heating capabilities of the Ford itself while driving. Puts out Luke warm air when outside 30 or so. Does the front need a cover to help heat up the can? I hate to run propane or electric heat driving down the road.

Side windows are deafening... Tried several quick fixed on last trip but still have work to do there.

I am not sure how the twin thermostats work regarding heat. I only have heat strips in the front AC unit and it really doesn't do anything. Both thermostats have a furnace setting but if course there is only one gas furnace. Does the rear bedroom thermostat control the furnace at all? This pat weekend the furnace did not seem to come on like it should have in fact I "manually" turned it on by cycling the settings from off and back to furnace (and the furnace immediately came on.) I may have to have this looked at. Not an easy chores any dealer is several hours away.

The gas heat is controlled by front thermostat only. There is no problem running gas heat while driving if needed. I drove for 2 1/2 hours in about 35-38 temps and front heat did all we needed. I had mine set on bi level and directed swivel vents towards back. I did have coach at about 72 prior to departure though.

I have heat strips in front and rear. I found that they do ok to bout 35 or so. But both have to be set similar on thermostats.

I had same issues with side windows at cab area. Major rattling noises. I worked on both sides. On passenger side, I adjusted those 3 plastic slide clips that the glass closes into on vertical and all rattle went away. Drivers side was little more work. The screen and the window was rattling. For the screen I had way too much play at top where those springy plastic pieces are. I used some Velcro cut into 1 inch strips and wrapped the top of the bar in a few spots and that worked. Just used the soft side not hard scratchy part of Velcro. The glass was another matter. I adjusted those plastic slide clips to beat it got but still had rattle. Was much better but I hate rattles. I used a small flat screw driver and removed those slide clips one at a time and wrapped the metal frame with more Velcro behind each clip. I then placed those clips back on vertical frame on top of Velcro with good pressure. This caused those clips to close the gap in groove the glass comes into. Actually when I close that window a little pressure is needed to get it fully closed. This worked and no more rattles. Well actually I then could hear door squeaking since front cab area was so quite. Some lithium grease on latch fixed that.

For the USB charger ports. I have a himbox I use as bluetooth receiver and connects my phone through jenson on auxiliary port. This works well for audio streaming and directions audible from Siri. It has a USB charger port in cigarette lighter. I also have several ac USB blocks in outlets by bed for charging at night.

If you don't have a crown stapler for the trim go to lowes and get some of the colored trim nails. They work well and blend in well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 12-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #3

I try to be a hands free driver - especially in our 351. So, I found this little devise. It adds virtually full bluetooth capability to the unit to include tunes and phone. It simple and works well. Much cheaper than replacing the jensen.

Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack (3.5 mm) - supports aptX
Old 12-30-2014, 10:10 PM   #4

The ac heat strips warm up slowly. At first I didn't think they worked at all. But they just take time and never get "hot" so I rarely use them. The furnace is much more quiet and the strips are a backup if the LP runs out.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:23 PM   #5

I may have never left the heat strips on long enough then. How "long" is long?
Old 12-30-2014, 10:28 PM   #6

Bigben, the Kinivo looks just like what the DW was needing. Does this plug in the back of the radio? How is it powered?
Old 12-30-2014, 10:31 PM   #7

Ok I see the power now, like the himbox. First pic didn't show cable end
Old 12-31-2014, 07:20 AM   #8

kb5sej - I believe the Jensen has an open input on the rear of the unit. However, I just simply plugged it in to the front aux. I thought it would be your standard "toy". I was pleasantly surprised that does so much, so well. You can answer calls, talk and ends calls. You can also control the music via the bluetooth connections. For the small price I paid on prime, it is excellent.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:16 PM   #9

I took my 2014 GT 351 in for some warranty work and asked them to address the rattling windows. They installed some sort of ani-rattle kit from Forrest River. The windows are much... much better.

I also had the towel rack problem and the dealer fixed it as well.

The main reason I took it in was because the black tank flush was leaking. They told me it was cracked where the flush entered the tank and they replaced the entire tank. It took a few weeks to come in but problem solved.

I have to say I'm happy with the dealer who I'm sure could have just patched the tank. I'm also happy with Forrest River's willingness to address the few problems I encountered.

Tags
upgrade