Old 09-11-2014, 08:43 PM   #1

G'town entry door improvement

i know there have been several threads surrounding difficult to close and having to slam entry doors on g'towns...

mine was tough sometimes. sometimes real tough. it did depend on how level the coach was, and closing from the inside was always far worse. i made some minor adjustments to the plates in the door jamb, and got some improvement, but felt that i needed to lower the plates further than the bottom screw slot would allow. i planned on cutting the slot lower, and enlisted the experience of my father to help me.

he took one look at the door and suggested we lubricate the plate and the two posts on the door lock with vaseline petroleum jelly before we did anything to see if it helped. we put a nice coat on the acceptance slots in the metal plates in the jamb, and on the two posts that are part of the lock mechanism.

WOW what a difference ! after working the door about 10 times, the parts were all well coated and now from any angle, inside or out, from level to unlevel, no matter, the door closes like an absolute dream....i just cannot believe how much better it works. just amazing is all i can say.

give it a try....it worked wonders for me and i hope it helps anyone else out there.

Front & Rear Roadmaster Sway Bars
Koni Shocks
Front and Rear Sumo Springs Jounce Replacement
willingtonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by willingtonpaul View Post
i know there have been several threads surrounding difficult to close and having to slam entry doors on g'towns...

mine was tough sometimes. sometimes real tough. it did depend on how level the coach was, and closing from the inside was always far worse. i made some minor adjustments to the plates in the door jamb, and got some improvement, but felt that i needed to lower the plates further than the bottom screw slot would allow. i planned on cutting the slot lower, and enlisted the experience of my father to help me.

he took one look at the door and suggested we lubricate the plate and the two posts on the door lock with vaseline petroleum jelly before we did anything to see if it helped. we put a nice coat on the acceptance slots in the metal plates in the jamb, and on the two posts that are part of the lock mechanism.

WOW what a difference ! after working the door about 10 times, the parts were all well coated and now from any angle, inside or out, from level to unlevel, no matter, the door closes like an absolute dream....i just cannot believe how much better it works. just amazing is all i can say.

give it a try....it worked wonders for me and i hope it helps anyone else out there.

Great advice. I just had a new door installed on mine under warranty. Best fit I've had, but not perfect. I'll try Vaseline. What about WD-40?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 09-12-2014, 01:08 PM   #3

If you use wd40 then you will have to lube more often, but it does work.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #4

Ahhh, good advice, thanks!

I had an overhead garage door fixed recently, the repairman lubed all the tracks, wheels, etc. and suggested that I do that every 6 months. I asked "With what? WD40?" He explained to me that WD40 is not a lubricant and that would actually make it worse as it evaporates and doesn't actually lubricate anything. He suggested "Garage Door Lubricant" which sure enough you can buy at Home Deport, Menards, etc. under that name. I'd expect any type of grease would work well, and I'll definitely be giving this one a try!

Thanks for the advice!

2014 Georgetown 351DS, 5 kids, 2 dogs, and an amazing wife!

The Wandering Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:23 PM   #5

I've had to keep our strike plate and other contact points lubed to prevent some rather loud and annoying squeaks. However our "difficult closing" door entailed much more than lube to fix. It's important to determine if your door is making contact and sticking around the hardware/latch/lock area, or the frame itself. In our case, the door was making contact at several points around the frame, sometimes making it *impossible* to close. There is no amount of adjusting would fix this, and FR agreed to replace the door under warranty. We are waiting for the new door to arrive.
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door