Old 07-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #11

Thank you for an amazing site. Full of great information, new friends and adventures filled great memories.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:18 AM   #12

Good luck on your handling issues. Let us know what you find out with weights and how the Sumo's work if you decide to install them

Old 07-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdavido View Post
I'm taking the rig out Saturday and getting him weighed and get the correct pressure in the tires . I am leaning towards having Sumos airless springs installed for the stability. I have not been able to talk to Forest River yet, I just wish that they would make all of these adjustments in the chassis to offset their loads.
Not to defend Forest River but they could adjust the tire pressures and install different sway bars and sumo springs. And then depending on what the end user loads his or hers coach with, it would be way off again. A few others have showed that not every one carries the same loads. They other thing would be some people would say that now the coach rides to hard.

I have found that on our coach that I still have to lower the air pressure on the front and rear tires to what is recommended by Goodyear for the weights on our axles. The recommended pressures from ford is based on being loaded at full capacity or the axles and springs.

I also found that I like the sumo springs on the front axle along with the CHF on both axles. It might have firmed up the ride some but it took the bounce and dipping out of the ride. Others have said it made it ride to hard for there liking. All in all I would prefer a firmer ride with control over a soft ride that porpoises or floats going down the road.

This was a problem we always faced when building fire and emergency equipment. Same Ford or custom truck chassis and totally different rides and handling between two similar trucks. Good luck adjusting it to what you find best and enjoy. I am still adjusting and enjoying as we go.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:47 AM   #14

We've weighed the rig and with friends on this site determined the best tire pressure. We'll adjust the pressures once the rig comes out of the dealer for the 12 issues we have with the new rig. Then, I'm installing Sumos Airless front and back. I'll keep everyone informed as we move through the process. Enjoy the road.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #15
I Break Everything

I know I've said this before. Ours, 2015, when it was new needed a front end alignment. We got a big truck facility approved to do the work. They found a cracked axle from the factory. I had a good amount of control issues, however not so much I thought the axle was cracked. About 4-5 months ago we found out the shock mounts were too short, again from the factory. Handles like a car now. Good Luck.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS MH
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:29 AM   #16

Handling

Thanks Mike I plan I getting it aligned also. Commercial company here in town would probably do the suspension changes so I'll give them a shout on Monday . Thanks for the input because everyone seems to think I'm nuts. I personally think there's an issue.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:25 PM   #17

Quote:
My issue is what I called side to side stability. I don't have a handling issue as much is an issue where the rig feels like it's going to flip on its side from the wind or a truck passing. So you'll feel the tire can also contribute to this?

CHF will help

2016 Georgetown 364ts
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-19-2016, 08:48 PM   #18

Quote:
My issue is what I called side to side stability. I don't have a handling issue as much is an issue where the rig feels like it's going to flip on its side from the wind or a truck passing. So you'll feel the tire can also contribute to this?
Is this your first large motorhome? What you describe doesn't sound uncommon.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:26 PM   #19

Handling

It's our first large motorhome we own but I've driven other big rigs my whole life. We took it almost 2500 miles on its first adventure. It has some challenges that I think can be made better.