Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #1

Has anyone added a LP line to your big tank for a bbq grill?

Has anyone moded their large LP tank with some type of flexable line that can be used for a Weber BBQ Q120?

My last 5th wheel had a tap from the main lp tanks to the side of the trailer. It had a valve and quick coupling to hook up to the bbq.

Anyone with a Georgetown tried this mod?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #2

10-4 Campingworld has a "T" called extend-A-Stay. Since we spend the winter at a campground that requires you to pull your RV over to their service area for LP. I installed the set-up so i could run on a smaller portable LP tank. It included another hose for a grill. Easy to install, just need to support the extended set-up.
SnowBird9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Anacortesians

I was considering it, but have almost decided to put a holding fixture for a 20-lb bottle in a cargo bay and take the bottle out to the picnic table out when we want to use the grill.

I saw a post on one of the bigger forums from a member who had tapped into the low pressure section of the house line, downstream of the regulator. He found his Q-220 wouldn't go below about 600 F, because the RV regulator wasn't a fine-enough control.

I'm a bit leery of having 15' or so of high-pressure propane hose lying on the ground if I tap in upstream of the MH regulator and use the grill regulator for the job it's designed for. Was yours on the fiver tapped in upstream of the regulator, Iggy? If you've had good luck with that kind of setup, I might reconsider.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
I was considering it, but have almost decided to put a holding fixture for a 20-lb bottle in a cargo bay and take the bottle out to the picnic table out when we want to use the grill.

I saw a post on one of the bigger forums from a member who had tapped into the low pressure section of the house line, downstream of the regulator. He found his Q-220 wouldn't go below about 600 F, because the RV regulator wasn't a fine-enough control.

I'm a bit leery of having 15' or so of high-pressure propane hose lying on the ground if I tap in upstream of the MH regulator and use the grill regulator for the job it's designed for. Was yours on the fiver tapped in upstream of the regulator, Iggy? If you've had good luck with that kind of setup, I might reconsider.
Didn't know any rv had high pressure propane except from the tank to the regulator. If you tap into a line downstream from the regulator, it will not be high pressure. Somewhere around 10" or 11" wg.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #5

Quote:

The small milk crates work great!
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #6

I put a regular bottle in a bay where I keep a small folding table and my small grill. Bought a 10 foot hose and ready to go. I walk in and out of the door to the grill with stuff to be cooked and only have to mess with the grill and table. The bay door even closes over the line without pinching it. This may or may not work on your configuration but give it a thought. I have extra propane on board for grilling to keep my main tank fuller, longer. Don't know about you but getting the main tank refilled is a bigger pain than the little tank.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawfive View Post
I put a regular bottle in a bay where I keep a small folding table and my small grill. Bought a 10 foot hose and ready to go. I walk in and out of the door to the grill with stuff to be cooked and only have to mess with the grill and table. The bay door even closes over the line without pinching it. This may or may not work on your configuration but give it a thought. I have extra propane on board for grilling to keep my main tank fuller, longer. Don't know about you but getting the main tank refilled is a bigger pain than the little tank.
It seems that I may go that way with a small tank and hose.
I seen a nice 5 gal version awhile back but it seems they are hard to find.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Has anyone moded their large LP tank with some type of flexable line that can be used for a Weber BBQ Q120?

My last 5th wheel had a tap from the main lp tanks to the side of the trailer. It had a valve and quick coupling to hook up to the bbq.

Anyone with a Georgetown tried this mod?
I used a tee connector and 12' of flexible hose on my old MH and it worked great. Not so good on my 378. Two problems: 1) Whenever I wanted to hook up the grill, I had to run the hose under the MH (propane tank on driver's side) and then due to the hose length, I had to place the grill by the entry step. 2) When I teed the line, I had a pressure drop to both the grill and the stove. I decided just to use the 1lb. throwaways. They cost more, but less hassle.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulwv View Post
I used a tee connector and 12' of flexible hose on my old MH and it worked great. Not so good on my 378. Two problems: 1) Whenever I wanted to hook up the grill, I had to run the hose under the MH (propane tank on driver's side) and then due to the hose length, I had to place the grill by the entry step. 2) When I teed the line, I had a pressure drop to both the grill and the stove. I decided just to use the 1lb. throwaways. They cost more, but less hassle.

That iis what I have also decided. Not worht the money, effort and problems.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #10

Here's what I use ( Camco RV 90 Tee )
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
It seems that I may go that way with a small tank and hose.
I seen a nice 5 gal version awhile back but it seems they are hard to find.

Thanks

CW and other places sell a 2-1/2 gallon propane tank that lasts me all summer and then some. Since I hate cooking under the awning it allows me to move the BBQ and gas stove anywhere I want them.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #12

I use the 1 lb throw-aways, but I don't throw them away. Camping World sells a great little propane tank refill adapter that allows you to refill the 1 lb bottles from a 20 lb bottle. Propane Tank Re-fill Adaptor - Mr. Heater F276172 - Propane Accessories - Camping World
The 1 lb throw aways come in 2-packs so I bought 2 2-packs so I always have a couple of full bottles in the RV.
To fill the 1 lb bottle put it the freezer a couple of hours before you want to fill then hook it up to the 20 lb bottle with the adapter and turn the 20 lb bottle upside down and then turn on the valve. Only takes a few minutes to fill. When you don't hear gas flowing turn off the 20 lb valve and then disconnect the 1 lb bottle and viola, a refreshed 1 lb tank.
I think this has been discussed in a thread before - that's where I got the idea.
Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Popes View Post
I use the 1 lb throw-aways, but I don't throw them away. Camping World sells a great little propane tank refill adapter that allows you to refill the 1 lb bottles from a 20 lb bottle. Propane Tank Re-fill Adaptor - Mr. Heater F276172 - Propane Accessories - Camping World
The 1 lb throw aways come in 2-packs so I bought 2 2-packs so I always have a couple of full bottles in the RV.
To fill the 1 lb bottle put it the freezer a couple of hours before you want to fill then hook it up to the 20 lb bottle with the adapter and turn the 20 lb bottle upside down and then turn on the valve. Only takes a few minutes to fill. When you don't hear gas flowing turn off the 20 lb valve and then disconnect the 1 lb bottle and viola, a refreshed 1 lb tank.
I think this has been discussed in a thread before - that's where I got the idea.
Thanks Bubba. I have read about it and will be using teh 1lb bottles for starters and may do what you are talking about inthe future.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #14

Quote:
If you google around, you can find regulators
with a knob for variable pressure - can go down
to about zero.

When I built my metal melting furnace, I wanted the
propane bottle to be FAR away from the 1500+ degrees!
Also needed to vary pressure to control the blast.
A variable regulator and a 15' hose works really well.

Since then I have used the same setup - hose/regulator,
not furnace! - connected to my Coleman stove when I
tent camp. No probs, heats the soup just fine.....

cheers,
johnd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6090004.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	14991  
Medical research shows that men have a "biological clock" too. The older we get, the greater the NEED to drive a TRUCK!
dnaraG_1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #15

I was only getting about 4 meals out of a 1 pounder so we are running with a standard 20# which I travel with in a storage compartment but lock to the rear hitch with the bikes when we are in a campground. Not an ideal transport location but I'd be smoking thru a lot of those 1 pounders with the amount we use the Q. I luvs ma bacon, eggs and pancakes so the Q gets sparked up twice many days.

Do have to say we are learning to love the convection microwave. Going on two months and we have yet to find a reason to spark up the oven.
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #16
Navion IQ 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Popes View Post

Same here, only thing I do different is I fill them once as noted then I put them back in the freezer for about 10 mins then I top them off. I get to at least 85% full this way. I keep 8 on board in a small Pack box. Some of my bottles are 5 years old now & still leak free.

Tags
bbq