Old 05-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #1

Has anyone added a LP line to your big tank for a bbq grill?

Has anyone moded their large LP tank with some type of flexable line that can be used for a Weber BBQ Q120?

My last 5th wheel had a tap from the main lp tanks to the side of the trailer. It had a valve and quick coupling to hook up to the bbq.

Anyone with a Georgetown tried this mod?

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #2

10-4 Campingworld has a "T" called extend-A-Stay. Since we spend the winter at a campground that requires you to pull your RV over to their service area for LP. I installed the set-up so i could run on a smaller portable LP tank. It included another hose for a grill. Easy to install, just need to support the extended set-up.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
Anacortesians

I was considering it, but have almost decided to put a holding fixture for a 20-lb bottle in a cargo bay and take the bottle out to the picnic table out when we want to use the grill.

I saw a post on one of the bigger forums from a member who had tapped into the low pressure section of the house line, downstream of the regulator. He found his Q-220 wouldn't go below about 600 F, because the RV regulator wasn't a fine-enough control.

I'm a bit leery of having 15' or so of high-pressure propane hose lying on the ground if I tap in upstream of the MH regulator and use the grill regulator for the job it's designed for. Was yours on the fiver tapped in upstream of the regulator, Iggy? If you've had good luck with that kind of setup, I might reconsider.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
I was considering it, but have almost decided to put a holding fixture for a 20-lb bottle in a cargo bay and take the bottle out to the picnic table out when we want to use the grill.

I saw a post on one of the bigger forums from a member who had tapped into the low pressure section of the house line, downstream of the regulator. He found his Q-220 wouldn't go below about 600 F, because the RV regulator wasn't a fine-enough control.

I'm a bit leery of having 15' or so of high-pressure propane hose lying on the ground if I tap in upstream of the MH regulator and use the grill regulator for the job it's designed for. Was yours on the fiver tapped in upstream of the regulator, Iggy? If you've had good luck with that kind of setup, I might reconsider.
Didn't know any rv had high pressure propane except from the tank to the regulator. If you tap into a line downstream from the regulator, it will not be high pressure. Somewhere around 10" or 11" wg.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post

The small milk crates work great!
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:29 AM   #6

I put a regular bottle in a bay where I keep a small folding table and my small grill. Bought a 10 foot hose and ready to go. I walk in and out of the door to the grill with stuff to be cooked and only have to mess with the grill and table. The bay door even closes over the line without pinching it. This may or may not work on your configuration but give it a thought. I have extra propane on board for grilling to keep my main tank fuller, longer. Don't know about you but getting the main tank refilled is a bigger pain than the little tank.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawfive View Post
I put a regular bottle in a bay where I keep a small folding table and my small grill. Bought a 10 foot hose and ready to go. I walk in and out of the door to the grill with stuff to be cooked and only have to mess with the grill and table. The bay door even closes over the line without pinching it. This may or may not work on your configuration but give it a thought. I have extra propane on board for grilling to keep my main tank fuller, longer. Don't know about you but getting the main tank refilled is a bigger pain than the little tank.
It seems that I may go that way with a small tank and hose.
I seen a nice 5 gal version awhile back but it seems they are hard to find.

Thanks

Old 06-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Has anyone moded their large LP tank with some type of flexable line that can be used for a Weber BBQ Q120?

My last 5th wheel had a tap from the main lp tanks to the side of the trailer. It had a valve and quick coupling to hook up to the bbq.

Anyone with a Georgetown tried this mod?
I used a tee connector and 12' of flexible hose on my old MH and it worked great. Not so good on my 378. Two problems: 1) Whenever I wanted to hook up the grill, I had to run the hose under the MH (propane tank on driver's side) and then due to the hose length, I had to place the grill by the entry step. 2) When I teed the line, I had a pressure drop to both the grill and the stove. I decided just to use the 1lb. throwaways. They cost more, but less hassle.
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulwv View Post
I used a tee connector and 12' of flexible hose on my old MH and it worked great. Not so good on my 378. Two problems: 1) Whenever I wanted to hook up the grill, I had to run the hose under the MH (propane tank on driver's side) and then due to the hose length, I had to place the grill by the entry step. 2) When I teed the line, I had a pressure drop to both the grill and the stove. I decided just to use the 1lb. throwaways. They cost more, but less hassle.

That iis what I have also decided. Not worht the money, effort and problems.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #10

Here's what I use ( Camco RV 90 Tee )

Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq