Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by intercept View Post
The issue is the magnetic door switch. They did not change it to the type needed by kwickee.

Kwickee wants the brown door wire shorted to ground when the door is closed.
The Lippert mag door switch shorts the wire to ground when the door is open.

Change the mag door switch to the kwickee type, the power switch is fine.
They did put the Kwickee door mag on. The Lippert one was removed.
BigGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #22

I would disconnect the brown wire from the door switch and short it to ground. The door should close when shorted and open when not shorted. If it works like that you have the wrong magnetic switch in.
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #23
Anacortesians

I believe there was a change in step systems about 2006 or so, possibly as a result of injuries suffered when the steps didn't open and someone fell out.

My rig is an '02. The rocker switch on the panel at the base of the kitchen cabinet in the stairwell has one setting where the steps follow the door position all the time. Switched the other way, it leaves the steps in whatever position they were in when you switched it. The only other power to the steps is from the engine ignition switch function which retracts the steps no matter where the door is.

If the steps are "de-powered" when they're stowed, they don't open with the door, and falling out is definitely possible. The downside to the "with the door at all times" can result in damage to other vehicles. There have been a few incidents on ferries, where the steps deploy with the door being opened and hit the side of the car parked alongside.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
I believe there was a change in step systems about 2006 or so, possibly as a result of injuries suffered when the steps didn't open and someone fell out.

My rig is an '02. The rocker switch on the panel at the base of the kitchen cabinet in the stairwell has one setting where the steps follow the door position all the time. Switched the other way, it leaves the steps in whatever position they were in when you switched it. The only other power to the steps is from the engine ignition switch function which retracts the steps no matter where the door is.

If the steps are "de-powered" when they're stowed, they don't open with the door, and falling out is definitely possible. The downside to the "with the door at all times" can result in damage to other vehicles. There have been a few incidents on ferries, where the steps deploy with the door being opened and hit the side of the car parked alongside.
I agree, but the problem has always been the switch at the base of the cabinet works in reverse with the new steps. When lit up, the steps stay in the down position when opening and closing the door. When turned off, the steps deploy and retract as the door open and closes. It all has to do with the difference between the Kwikee magnet switch and the Lippert magnet switch. I just want the switch at the base of the cabinet to work the way it did before. Maybe I will just retrain my brain to accept it the way it is.
BigGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote