Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #1

Has anyone changed their GT Lippert steps to the Kwikee step?

My Lippert system failed and FR replaced my steps under warranty with the Kwikee system. The problem is that my step switch by the door now works in reverse. The dealer said they could not figure out how to fix it and Forest River did not have a solution. Apparently they tried removing the switch and reversing the polarity but that did not correct the problem. Does anybody have any thoughts?
BigGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGeorge View Post
My Lippert system failed and FR replaced my steps under warranty with the Kwikee system. The problem is that my step switch by the door now works in reverse. The dealer said they could not figure out how to fix it and Forest River did not have a solution. Apparently they tried removing the switch and reversing the polarity but that did not correct the problem. Does anybody have any thoughts?
Don't have schematics for both systems but it sounds like one system is looking for a normally open switch and the other looking for a normally closed switch, only way I know to reverse the setup is via a relay tucked in the behind, is it worth it?
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post

Don't have schematics for both systems but it sounds like one system is looking for a normally open switch and the other looking for a normally closed switch, only way I know to reverse the setup is via a relay tucked in the behind, is it worth it?
Yeah, I think you are right. And no, probably not worth it. Just curious if anybody has delt with this.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #4

I believe all the switch does is supply 12 volts to the motor. Can't reverse anything. So now is the switch not illuminated to make the steps function properly (retract when closing door)?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I believe all the switch does is supply 12 volts to the motor. Can't reverse anything. So now is the switch not illuminated to make the steps function properly (retract when closing door)?
When the switch is lit up in the on position the steps are off. When the switch is not lit up in the off position the steps are on.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #6

Therefore what I said is true. You can pull the panel where the switch is located and pull the ground wire for the light and rotate the switch 180 deg to make it toggle the same as the other switches on your panel. Of course the light will not illuminate at all. Seems like kwikee could solve this issue. Must be done alot.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Therefore what I said is true. You can pull the panel where the switch is located and pull the ground wire for the light and rotate the switch 180 deg to make it toggle the same as the other switches on your panel. Of course the light will not illuminate at all. Seems like kwikee could solve this issue. Must be done alot.
Yeah thanks. That is probably what I will due unless FR has a fix. Small issue but I am very very very meticulous.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #8

One other thing from my kwikee step days. To stow the steps I had to open the door (from inside) allow the steps to deploy then close door and then set switch to off. I think this reset the step sequence for ignition retrack. The steps now would remain stowed when the door was opened. They do not deploy again unless the switch is actuated. Now my unit was a 2000 MH and maybe kwikee has changed the operation.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #9

Just had a thought. Some Kwikee steps require a normally open door magnetic switch. I believe the Lippert system used a normally closed door switch. Of course if the installers used the Kwikee door switch that came with the installation package then oops. You can disconnect your door switch and see if the steps operate correctly.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Just had a thought. Some Kwikee steps require a normally open door magnetic switch. I believe the Lippert system used a normally closed door switch. Of course if the installers used the Kwikee door switch that came with the installation package then oops. You can disconnect your door switch and see if the steps operate correctly.
They installed the Kwikee step switch.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #11

This may sound crazy but if you realize the step motor is DC and the controller switches the polarity to the motor to open and close, than the fix is to reverse the motor feed leads. This will make it do what you want.

Other than a manufacturers error in the assembly I don't see how they would have been reversed but Stuff Happens.
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by intercept View Post
This may sound crazy but if you realize the step motor is DC and the controller switches the polarity to the motor to open and close, than the fix is to reverse the motor feed leads. This will make it do what you want.

Other than a manufacturers error in the assembly I don't see how they would have been reversed but Stuff Happens.
Ok bare with me I am not an electrician. The motor feed leads at the motor itself or at the switch going to the motor. If at the switch that is what Forest River suggested and it did not work.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGeorge

Ok bare with me I am not an electrician. The motor feed leads at the motor itself or at the switch going to the motor. If at the switch that is what Forest River suggested and it did not work.
Be careful switching motor lead may goof the auto extend on door open and the auto retract when ignition is on.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #14

Not at the switch.
It is the same as the power window motor on a car.
If you connect the 12Volts to the motor it will rotate in one direction. If you reverse the leads it will rotate in the opposite direction. The switch on the car does this by pushing the front or the back of the switch.

The steps have an electronic reversing switch. The door sensor switch just tells the elecronic switch to move the steps. It doesn't tell the electronic switch what direction. The electronic switch has a half a brain and should send the right polarity out to the motor. It may be doing that in your case too. However, if your motor leads are reversed it will act like you are describing. You may need to be the electronic switches other half of a brain and switch the motor leads so it rotates in the right direction. There is something between the reversing switch and the motor that is supplying the wron polarity out so this is the easiest way to fix it.

We hope//////
Old 06-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #15

BTW Vince is right. Check all of the operations too. If this causes other issues the problem will be on the front end of the reversing switch.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #16

Quote:
BTW Vince is right. Check all of the operations too. If this causes other issues the problem will be on the front end of the reversing switch.
Thanks for taking the time on such a small issue. I am just curious now. I will investigate further with the information provided keeping in mind Vince's caution.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #17

I found this install manual. See if it is the right one for you.

I suggest disconnecting the brown wire from the harness (this is the door switch switch wire) and grounding it to the frame.

The step should close.

If it does the door switch is the issue. The door switch should short the brown wire to ground when the door is closed. It is suposed to be a normally open switch and it is not.

If shorting the brown wire to ground does not close the step then retract the steps and then disconnect the step 12 volt feed wires for five minutes. Close the door. Then apply the 12 volt power to the steps again. If you can locate the step power fuse you can do this by taking the fuse out when the steps are closed.

If this does not reset the step brain you have a bad step controller.

Let me know. I am curious.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 875.pdf (1.20 MB, 26 views)
Old 07-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #18

Hey Big George hit the nail on the head.
Lippert uses a door switch that is the reverse of the Kwickie

Here is the lippert manual:
Using a voltmeter, set to resistance, test for ground on the brown wire going to the door switch. The meter should indicate an open circuit with the door closed and a path to the ground with the door open. Insure that the door is open at least 6 inches before it completes the circuit
to ground

The K manual I sent you calls for the revers.

Change the switch and teach the dealer about change overs. Look for a freebie for the consult.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Hey Big George hit the nail on the head.
Lippert uses a door switch that is the reverse of the Kwickie

Here is the lippert manual:
Using a voltmeter, set to resistance, test for ground on the brown wire going to the door switch. The meter should indicate an open circuit with the door closed and a path to the ground with the door open. Insure that the door is open at least 6 inches before it completes the circuit
to ground

The K manual I sent you calls for the revers.

Change the switch and teach the dealer about change overs. Look for a freebie for the consult.
Ok. I'm confused. When they put my new steps in, the Kwikee, they also put the new Kwikee switch. So what do I need to do to make the switch that supplies 12v power to the motor work in the right direction. Right now when the switch lights up the stairs are off. It use to be the other way around.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #20

The issue is the magnetic door switch. They did not change it to the type needed by kwickee.

Kwickee wants the brown door wire shorted to ground when the door is closed.
The Lippert mag door switch shorts the wire to ground when the door is open.

Change the mag door switch to the kwickee type, the power switch is fine.