Old 06-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #1

Has anyone changed their GT Lippert steps to the Kwikee step?

My Lippert system failed and FR replaced my steps under warranty with the Kwikee system. The problem is that my step switch by the door now works in reverse. The dealer said they could not figure out how to fix it and Forest River did not have a solution. Apparently they tried removing the switch and reversing the polarity but that did not correct the problem. Does anybody have any thoughts?

Old 06-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGeorge View Post
My Lippert system failed and FR replaced my steps under warranty with the Kwikee system. The problem is that my step switch by the door now works in reverse. The dealer said they could not figure out how to fix it and Forest River did not have a solution. Apparently they tried removing the switch and reversing the polarity but that did not correct the problem. Does anybody have any thoughts?
Don't have schematics for both systems but it sounds like one system is looking for a normally open switch and the other looking for a normally closed switch, only way I know to reverse the setup is via a relay tucked in the behind, is it worth it?

Old 06-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post

Don't have schematics for both systems but it sounds like one system is looking for a normally open switch and the other looking for a normally closed switch, only way I know to reverse the setup is via a relay tucked in the behind, is it worth it?
Yeah, I think you are right. And no, probably not worth it. Just curious if anybody has delt with this.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #4

I believe all the switch does is supply 12 volts to the motor. Can't reverse anything. So now is the switch not illuminated to make the steps function properly (retract when closing door)?
Old 06-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I believe all the switch does is supply 12 volts to the motor. Can't reverse anything. So now is the switch not illuminated to make the steps function properly (retract when closing door)?
When the switch is lit up in the on position the steps are off. When the switch is not lit up in the off position the steps are on.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #6

Therefore what I said is true. You can pull the panel where the switch is located and pull the ground wire for the light and rotate the switch 180 deg to make it toggle the same as the other switches on your panel. Of course the light will not illuminate at all. Seems like kwikee could solve this issue. Must be done alot.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Therefore what I said is true. You can pull the panel where the switch is located and pull the ground wire for the light and rotate the switch 180 deg to make it toggle the same as the other switches on your panel. Of course the light will not illuminate at all. Seems like kwikee could solve this issue. Must be done alot.
Yeah thanks. That is probably what I will due unless FR has a fix. Small issue but I am very very very meticulous.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #8

One other thing from my kwikee step days. To stow the steps I had to open the door (from inside) allow the steps to deploy then close door and then set switch to off. I think this reset the step sequence for ignition retrack. The steps now would remain stowed when the door was opened. They do not deploy again unless the switch is actuated. Now my unit was a 2000 MH and maybe kwikee has changed the operation.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #9

Just had a thought. Some Kwikee steps require a normally open door magnetic switch. I believe the Lippert system used a normally closed door switch. Of course if the installers used the Kwikee door switch that came with the installation package then oops. You can disconnect your door switch and see if the steps operate correctly.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Just had a thought. Some Kwikee steps require a normally open door magnetic switch. I believe the Lippert system used a normally closed door switch. Of course if the installers used the Kwikee door switch that came with the installation package then oops. You can disconnect your door switch and see if the steps operate correctly.
They installed the Kwikee step switch.