Old 11-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeyr View Post
Sounds like a good idea but how about getting behind everything to install it. My 378TS doesn't have a shelf or drawer between the fireplace and the TV; it is brickwork. Also, how did you get HD to the TV/stereo?
I can see your challenge! On our model year we have a cabinet below the TV and above the fireplace that is large enough for the DirecTV receiver and the DVD player. And behind the TV is all open and we use that space for storage.

I completely eliminated anything that FR installed for our front TV. The roof mounted Winegard Sat dish is hard wired to the receiver directly and the sound bar is connected to the TV via an optical cord supplied with the sound bar.

Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
I can see your challenge! On our model year we have a cabinet below the TV and above the fireplace that is large enough for the DirecTV receiver and the DVD player. And behind the TV is all open and we use that space for storage.

I completely eliminated anything that FR installed for our front TV. The roof mounted Winegard Sat dish is hard wired to the receiver directly and the sound bar is connected to the TV via an optical cord supplied with the sound bar.
My Toshiba 40"TV doesn't have optical out. Which it did.
The actual output to the RCA surround sounds comes from some add on RCA jacks below the TV outputs. (see 2nd pic)
Here is what I have only. This is one of the many reasons I want to ditch this TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	42897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	42898  

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #13

Iggy, you have "Digital Audio Out". All you need is one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002J...110_SY165_QL70

I've been using one for about a year now and it works great.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #14

HDMI cable and Digital Audio Connection

I never had the 'poping' issue but I did remove the red/white/yellow cable between the TV and RCA sound bar. Then I installed a HDMI cable from the HDMI #2 slot on TV to the sound bar, and used a Digital Audio cable between TV and sound bar. I now have great surround sound from TV to RCA sound bar. Also took the opportunity to move the FM antenna that was hanging down behind fireplace to behind TV and reception is much better.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma243 View Post
I never had the 'poping' issue but I did remove the red/white/yellow cable between the TV and RCA sound bar. Then I installed a HDMI cable from the HDMI #2 slot on TV to the sound bar, and used a Digital Audio cable between TV and sound bar. I now have great surround sound from TV to RCA sound bar. Also took the opportunity to move the FM antenna that was hanging down behind fireplace to behind TV and reception is much better.
Humm. you have a Toshiba 40" like me? I thought the diagram above says HDMI Inputs... NOT Output
So you are still getting sound out of the TV to the soundbar using a HDMI cable to the soundbar?

Old 11-23-2013, 12:19 AM   #16

No, the HDMI cable supplies input from the sound bar (ie DVD) to the TV, then the digital audio cable supplies 5.1 chan sound from the TV back to the sound bar. So when you are watching TV off air or from Sat input, the sound goes to the RCA sound bar in the best quality possible. The HDMI cable just makes sure the video and sound from the sound bar to the TV is the best possible.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #17
ME

Wow most if not all of this is over my head 1. Stock system is garbage 2. What is next????????? My question is how to watch DVD A. Get new DVD that has blue tooth capabilities to communicate with sound bar? B. How to keep the ability to switch from which TV and switch sources to each TV then iPod hooks up how?
Old 11-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #18

I think there is some confusion on the term "sound bar" here. A sound bar is simply an amplified set of speakers that take an input from some source and produces great sound. There is no DVD player, radio or anything else in a sound bar. Though I can play an IPOD thru the Samsung sound bar I installed.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #19
Lottery Non-Winner

My crap RCA pops too. This weekend I went to play a movie for the first time in 3 years only to find the tray doesn't even come out to accept the disc. The display says "loading", and then it says "no disc", but the door never opened. Considering replacing it with something else, but I don't want to have to replace the existing speakers or rewire the rig. Isn't the a 1 for 1 that I can plop down in it's place?

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovair View Post
My crap RCA pops too. This weekend I went to play a movie for the first time in 3 years only to find the tray doesn't even come out to accept the disc. The display says "loading", and then it says "no disc", but the door never opened. Considering replacing it with something else, but I don't want to have to replace the existing speakers or rewire the rig. Isn't the a 1 for 1 that I can plop down in it's place?

I have been looking for a replacement but the issues are:
You need a system that you can use wires to speakers and not RCA plugs.
The other thing is it need to have a digital video output to use the existing cable to the TV when playing DVD's.

All the ones I have found is junk just like the RCA one we have.
The popping I have no idea why it happens but I suspect a bad capacitor on the circuit board.

I don't use it much now because I now have a TV with reasonable speakers that work great. So only when playing DVD's I use it.