Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #21

Has anyone replaced the RCA surround sound system?

It depends. How good are you with splicing wires together? If you are comfortable then look on the back of the RCA unit to see if it shows the speaker impedance. If not then look online for its specification.
Now find a unit that has the same impedance and splice the wire. Make sure you splice + to + and - to - (very important).
Now most stereos/DVD have component or HDMI outputs as well as tv having component or HDMI inputs. That would be the easy part.
PM if you have any questions.
Not hard to do.
I completely change my surround sound in my coach with new speakers, receiver and TV. Just took a little time but well worth it. I posted several pics. My new receiver had plug in speaker connectors that were color coded and that made it super easy.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
It depends. How good are you with splicing wires together? If you are comfortable then look on the back of the RCA unit to see if it shows the speaker impedance. If not then look online for its specification.
Now find a unit that has the same impedance and splice the wire. Make sure you splice + to + and - to - (very important).
Now most stereos/DVD have component or HDMI outputs as well as tv having component or HDMI inputs. That would be the easy part.
PM if you have any questions.
Not hard to do.
I completely change my surround sound in my coach with new speakers, receiver and TV. Just took a little time but well worth it. I posted several pics. My new receiver had plug in speaker connectors that were color coded and that made it super easy.

I know how to do it but I'm getting lazy as I get older.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	California May 6, 2012 070.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	51786   Click image for larger version

Name:	California May 6, 2012 074.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	51787   Click image for larger version

Name:	California May 6, 2012 075.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	51788  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #23

I wish all units were as easy as yours. Most home theaters in a box now have proprietary plugs for their speakers. My new unit had proprietary plugs but that didn't stop me from learning.
I had to cut my speaker wires and add more length because of where I placed my speakers.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I have been looking for a replacement but the issues are:
You need a system that you can use wires to speakers and not RCA plugs.
The other thing is it need to have a digital video output to use the existing cable to the TV when playing DVD's.

All the ones I have found is junk just like the RCA one we have.
The popping I have no idea why it happens but I suspect a bad capacitor on the circuit board.

I don't use it much now because I now have a TV with reasonable speakers that work great. So only when playing DVD's I use it.
Iggy...your speakers are all 4 ohm speakers (the kind used in car stereos) so simply wiring them into any other kind of home unit will fry your new home unit which is almost always designed to work into 8 ohm loads. (nominal). While you can still use the existing wiring....I would suggest that if you find a new home receiver/dvd player...that you also replace each existing el cheapo speaker with an in wall or in ceiling home speaker with impedence off 6-8 ohms rather than 4.
A pair like these would be fine as a replacement...but you can also get big improvements for more $$ from major brand speakers like Polks, JBL's etc.
Amazon.com: Pyle Home PDIC60 250-Watt 6.5-Inch Two-Way In-Ceiling Speaker System (Pair): Electronics
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:48 AM   #25
ME

I was hoping someone was going to find a simple plug in solution. So I can play iPod listen to radio while driving then surround sound while parked watching movies
Old 05-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #26

I can't think of something simple.
Does the iPod have Bluetooth?
If not then look for a receiver that has an aux input and run your iPod earphone jack to it.
Where are you planning to locate your receiver?
Old 05-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #27

mine still pops however I disconnected the sub and all other speakers are working used it for a little while and no popping. All this is over my head. I did connect my Bose Companion 3 series to the TV and have good surround sound using that. Haven't watched a dvd so not sure how that's gonna work now. Guess it should work hopefully with no popping.. Ill let you know.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair View Post
mine still pops however I disconnected the sub and all other speakers are working used it for a little while and no popping. All this is over my head. I did connect my Bose Companion 3 series to the TV and have good surround sound using that. Haven't watched a dvd so not sure how that's gonna work now. Guess it should work hopefully with no popping.. Ill let you know.

I think I may try that and disconnect subwoofer. Can't hurt in trying.
Thanks
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Iggy...your speakers are all 4 ohm speakers (the kind used in car stereos) so simply wiring them into any other kind of home unit will fry your new home unit which is almost always designed to work into 8 ohm loads. (nominal). While you can still use the existing wiring....I would suggest that if you find a new home receiver/dvd player...that you also replace each existing el cheapo speaker with an in wall or in ceiling home speaker with impedence off 6-8 ohms rather than 4.
A pair like these would be fine as a replacement...but you can also get big improvements for more $$ from major brand speakers like Polks, JBL's etc.
Amazon.com: Pyle Home PDIC60 250-Watt 6.5-Inch Two-Way In-Ceiling Speaker System (Pair): Electronics
OK, time for my two cents. Although most surround sound receivers are designed for 8 ohm loads, some can handle a 4 ohm load. I've used my Sony for 5 years now driving Clarion 4 ohm marine speakers.

Why am I using boat speakers in my RV?....Mounting depth. There is less than 2" of space in the Georgetown ceiling before you hit the roof membrane. The Clarions were the only speakers I could find that would work. The speakers you have provided the link for will not fit. Surface mounted speakers weren't an option for me either, because of the speaker placement. Cabinet doors and the right side slide room would interfere with them.

I went to a lot of trouble installing a system that I'd be happy with. In the end, I'm still not 100% satisfied. The 378, and RVs in general, provide too many obstacles in achieving good surround sound.

If I had it all to do over, I would probably just buy a decent soundbar w/ wireless subwoofer, put a DVD/Blu-ray player in the space under the TV (some of you don't have that option) and use the ceiling speakers for music only.

I'm now in the process of trading my Georgetown for a Sunseeker (wanted something a bit smaller), but if anyone is interested in any of the A/V changes I made to my 378, I'd be happy to share the details.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #30

Rod...first...you are correct...my recommendation did not consider mounting depth. The WAY to cope with inadequate depth and still get good sound is to mount a trim ring and mount the speaker to the ring. But of course, individual coaches will have their own issues as you point out with doors etc.
And yes...good sound is difficult in this environment as it is in autos. This is why I didn't recommend REALLY good stuff...it just ain't worth it!
As to 4 ohm speakers (4 of them) working on a conventional HOME receiver...it is LARGELY true that they can damage the output transistors and/or blow the internal fuse. THIS happens when you hook them up as A speakers and B speakers and hit A+B dropping the load to 2 ohms. There are a few receivers that will drive 2 ohm loads but they are generally out of the range of casual RV buyers and would impact your CCC!
It will not generally happen if you hook them up as main and center and rear in the surround sound terminals....or keep them used separately as A or B rather than A+B. Or keep the volume low.
I was trying to keep things simple for the OP.

May I ask WHAT model Sony you have and how the speakers are hooked up? It would be useful to understand your experience since I'm about to become a G'Town owner.
My guess is that the pre installed system will drive me crazy.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #31

I thought about speakers with trim rings also, but could not find speakers with them included. I suppose I could have made my own out of PVC pipe, but I was able to find the Clarions that fit without modifications. They actually don't sound bad, I'm just very critical.

My receiver is a Sony STR-DE598 6.1 surround, which is probably close 10 yrs old now. I never had anything connected to speaker B and never cranked it to the point that the whole campground could hear, although my wife would frequently tell me to turn it down.

What model are you getting? Mine is a 378, so any mods that I did would be relevant to that floorplan.

P.S. I still have a 35 yr old NAD amplifier that will easily drive a 2 ohm load. Massive cooling fins on the output transistors!
Old 05-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #32

Rod...I've just cut and stained lumber with a jig saw when I needed interior trim rings. Used teak on boats for the same. Give's a nice look when complete.
Anyway...your lack of use of the B speaker terminal explains the success with 4 ohms.
I was kinda thinking A for "living room" fronts...surround for living room home theater surround and "B" for bedroom when I posted earlier. This would present a real problem for your Sony or most reasonably priced receivers.
I'm getting the 280DS and thinking that I'll use what they give me for video sound and get something entirely different for audio.
I'm sure they used pretty much the same setup for all the non XL coaches but obviously...fit & placement would be different.
What do you think of this for a coach STRICTLY for stereo audio acknowledging that imaging will suck no matter what I do but at least getting quality sound....
Samsung DA-E750 Powered speaker system with iPhone®/Android™ dock, Bluetooth® and AirPlay® wireless streaming at Crutchfield.com
Marked down to $599 elsewhere...I am lusting for it.

NAD... I remember when they first came out with transistor audiophile sound for a reasonable price...the 3020 was a classic...and they're still doing it!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:18 AM   #33

I think wood trim rings stained the same color as the cabinetry would look quite nice.

You may not be happy with FR's audio or video offerings. What you will get, if it's the same as the class c's (and it probably is), is an automotive style head unit (Magnadyne or Jensen) with a composite video output only. What FR calls surround sound is 4 or 6 speaker stereo. It's not Dolby 5.1. Fortunately with the TV location in your floorplan, upgrades will be fairly easy.

I'm not sure what to think of the Sansung unit. Vacuum tubes?! It all comes down to how it sounds.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #34

Actually sounds quite nice and accurate ...I think the tube is a night light!
The fit and finish is gorgeous.
Anyway...yeah...I'm expecting something like the Jensen which will displease me greatly but I really don't care about home theater or video on DVD/Blueray so no big whoop as long as I can listen to my music and my good headset will suffice if it comes to that...but I'll plan on adding something self contained.
In the meantime I'll probably just do a small upgrade on the front ceiling speakers to some decent auto speakers so the sound from the sat&cable&radio is intelligible!
Thanks!