Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
Wildland Firefighter

Red face Has anyone used these?

I was wondering if anybody has installed the Sumo Springs. I have the Ford F53 chassis and was wanting to know if they are what they say. Or just another mod in a long list of less than so so fixes. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Gordon and Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:40 PM   #2

Can't offer any F53 advice, however I did install Sumo Springs on an F250 pulling an 11K 5th wheel. Notable improvement in stability while traveling. The trailer drops my truck bed 2" and I installed the Sumos with 1 1/2" between axle and spring pack so they are engaged when hooked up.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:50 PM   #3

I installed them on my 351ds last fall and only drove a few miles on rough local roads. It seemed to ride smoother but I haven't been on any longer trips yet. Wellingtonpaul has them and is happy with them.
Ogunfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #4

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ad.php?t=78452
Ogunfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:31 AM   #5
Wildland Firefighter

Sumo springs

Thank you SilhouettePenny. I have the same truck as you but i already have airbags. Glad you like the Sumo's. You had me at
"Notable improvement".

And thank you Ogunfarm also. Sounds like you like em too. And that link really helped too. I'm sold. I'll order them next week and put them on and give an update at a later time.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:24 AM   #6

Not exactly those but mine has the rear aftermarket stabilizer bar and the front springs installed and the stability improvement has been definitely worth it.
Starboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:57 AM   #7

Hope to install the front ones before heading to FL in a month. Coach is currently at the factory getting a couple of issues taken care of. Trying the front ones first as that axle is close to the rating weight wise. Go over to iRV2 forums and do a search and you will find a few reports on them.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:16 AM   #8
Wildland Firefighter

Sumo Springs

Well we just got done installing the front set of Sumo Springs on our 09 357QS. I read somewhere it would take 3 hours or so. It took me almost 6. With a little time for lunch and playing with the kids for a bit, 4 hours might be a good gauge. It was all pretty basic. I didn't have to loosen or undo any factory suspension parts. You just really have to make sure they are sitting in the correct spot before you drill the hole and tighten it all up. Hand tools are fine but air tools help quite a bit. Small learning curve with the first one. Mine was the passenger side. Then the other side goes quite a bit faster. We took it for a nice little bumpy ride before so we have a comparison point. Looking forward for the test drive tomorrow.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #9

About 10000 miles, much smoother less sway, I'm a happy camper.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:53 AM   #10
Wildland Firefighter

Nice test drive. Much more of a controlled ride. Quite a bit smoother front end ride with a noticeable amount of sway reduction. Pretty happy so far.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:58 AM   #11

I am asking for a friends as he had a new Thor 30 Ft class A and was thinking stabilizers were the answer...I use to own a Class A Gas but switched to DP....so I am not familiar on the new technology...
Blacknchromehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:01 AM   #12
Wildland Firefighter

Blackhnchromehd.. Looking back a few replies , Ogunfarm had a good link to more info you could take a look at.