Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #1

Has anyone weighed a Georgetown 378TS

Has anyone weighed the axles of a 2012 Georgetown 378TS?

The reason I'm asking is because I may add 2 air bags to the rear to put a little more weight to the front end which in turn will make the front end more stable during driving and less wandering.

I'm considering Firestone Ride_Rite Model 2170.

Also if anyone has installed these I'd like to hear your opinion on how well it works or not.

Thanks
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #2

Hey Iggy, if you purchased, or are thinking of purchasing any extended warranties, make sure you won't invalidate them with that mod. Any 3rd party suspension mods kill mine.
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #3

SinkorSwim
I'm not worried about adding 2 air bags. It is not modifing anything that that is part of the rig. Just replacing the 2 hard baby bumbers Ford installed and placing a bag in its place.

Thanks for bringing to our attention.

Original Question.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #4

My understanding is that airbags don't shift any weight. Time for a trip to the CAT scale.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
My understanding is that airbags don't shift any weight. Time for a trip to the CAT scale.
The way it was explained to me is that the majority of the MH weight is in the rear and the front end is lighter. This is because of the light V10 and transmission is behind the front axle. When driving down the road your get air lift in the front under the rig and it makes the front end rise and the steering wheel seem light while driving at 60 mph or greater. By adding and adjusting the 2 air bags in the rear will lift the rear about 1" when driving and will put more weight forward to the front wheels for a more stable steering and control feel in the steering wheel.

The front end has been checked and is correct and tires and steering box are all ok.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
By adding and adjusting the 2 air bags in the rear will lift the rear about 1" when driving and will put more weight forward to the front wheels for a more stable steering and control feel in the steering wheel.
I'm sure there are benefits of airbags, but what they are suggesting about a weight transfer doesn't seem right to me, Iggy.

This seems to be saying that airbags will shift the COG significantly enough from rear to front to add enough weight to feel a difference. I just don't see it.

I think your first request for weights is needed here. It would need to be an experiment with two weights taken at the CAT scale - a base weight showing each axle and a weight showing the axles after the airbags have been inflated. What is the amount of weight or force shifted?

I can't imagine that there will be that much weight transferred. It would be interesting to see if someone can show this empirically for you.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #7

Triguy
I have not bought anything yet as I'm gathering information.
The concept of transferring more weight to the front wheels sounds feasable in making the front suspension work more by baring more weight. It also repaltes to the type of leaf springs that are tapered at the ends which makes them flex more initially. Can't remember what they call that but the leaf springs are thinner and less meaty on the ends which makes them softer on inital flexing and hard stiffer as they are pressed down more.

Lets just talk more about the concept of how to make the front end less responsive to road conditions at higher speeds.
Lower speed is not any issues but highway speed 60 mph and great is when you are more susceptable to side sway and make steering feel light or light floating the front wheels. This also when it happens makes the rear sway.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Triguy
I have not bought anything yet as I'm gathering information.
I know. I was suggesting that someone who already has the airbags on their rig could run it over the scales a couple of times. Its an interesting concept.

Good luck with solving the handling issue.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #9

If it helps, Ive weighed my 350TS many times, no airbags. Packed to the gills with full water starting a 2 week trip my front axle had 6780lbs and rear had 14280lbs. Your 378 carries an extra 480lbs of unloaded vehicle weight somewhere, at least the 2009 model did.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
My 2012 378 is 3500 ks = 7,716 lb front and 6700 ks = 14,771 lb rear.
This loaded ready to travel.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #11

Falcon, FYI, your GVWR is 22,000# so you're a little over at 22,487#. You're below GCWR with the car though.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #12

Interesting that weight per tire is all ready heavier on the front axle. What is the max design on the front axle?
popbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #13

For the 22,000#GVWR F53 chassis the 2009 Front axle capacity was 7500 front, 14,500 rear. In 2011(not sure on year) front axle got increased to 8000# and rear to 15,000#.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhanson View Post
For the 22,000#GVWR F53 chassis the 2009 Front axle capacity was 7500 front, 14,500 rear. In 2011(not sure on year) front axle got increased to 8000# and rear to 15,000#.
YES
The 2011 and 2012 Georgetowns with the 242" wheelbase has 8,000 lb axle up front and 15,000 lb rear axes.
I can not verify any other years.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #15

Iggy, before you purchase you had better check under your rig to make sure the air springs will work. On my '09 378 there's a propane line that runs along the frame rail, which is then covered with a piece of sheet metal. This prevented me from installing the spring bracket on the passenger side. I downloaded the instructions from Firestone's web site before I purchased and was able to determine this.

I agree with some others that it probably won't help anyway. I wanted to install them to help with ride & sway.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulwv View Post
Iggy, before you purchase you had better check under your rig to make sure the air springs will work. On my '09 378 there's a propane line that runs along the frame rail, which is then covered with a piece of sheet metal. This prevented me from installing the spring bracket on the passenger side. I downloaded the instructions from Firestone's web site before I purchased and was able to determine this.

I agree with some others that it probably won't help anyway. I wanted to install them to help with ride & sway.
Not ready to buy but you have been helpful. I will check long before I make my final decision on what I want to do.

The Stabilzer on the front steering helps but looks like $700 installed.
Gee lots of money....
Old 06-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #17

Quote:

The reason I'm asking is because I may add 2 air bags to the rear to put a little more weight to the front end which in turn will make the front end more stable during driving and less wandering.

I'm considering Firestone Ride_Rite Model 2170.

Also if anyone has installed these I'd like to hear your opinion on how well it works or not.

Thanks

As a retired truck driver I've used tag axles to shift weight by raising an lowering tag, with trailer we'd slide tandems back to shift weight to the front, your thinking is correct, the real question is will rear air bags lift it up high enough to move any significant weight to the front, my feeling is by the time you accomplish that your tail end will be way to high, these things are made the way there made for a reason, investigate a steering dampener of some sort , that would give you heavier feel, let me know how it goes, thanks
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydriven View Post
As a retired truck driver I've used tag axles to shift weight by raising an lowering tag, with trailer we'd slide tandems back to shift weight to the front, your thinking is correct, the real question is will rear air bags lift it up high enough to move any significant weight to the front, my feeling is by the time you accomplish that your tail end will be way to high, these things are made the way there made for a reason, investigate a steering dampener of some sort , that would give you heavier feel, let me know how it goes, thanks

Thanks for your experienced answer. I do agree and it looks like I will now look more towards a steering dampener system. Any suggestions? Do you feel the steering is managable and comfortable on your Georgetown?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #19

Iggy, we've got the same unit as you do except it's a 2011. I don't feel like there is anything wrong about the way the rig handles. I just keep in mind that it is a large truck pushing a square box down the road and the air going around it will impact the "motion" of the box.

When we received the unit from the factory I did have issues with what I would call "wandering". Talked to an over the road truck driver and he shared this with me:

1. Ensure all tire pressures are equal, especially the front steer tires. What the pressures are is less important than making sure they match. The orginal steer tire pressures from the factory were 80psi on the left and 95 psi on the right. Equalized both to 90psi. World of difference.

2. When driving look at least a quarter mile down the road and relax, no death grip on the wheel. Just as soon as you start trying to guide the rig by watching the center lane stripe you will naturally go in that direction, just like when riding a motorcycle.

I'm sure some folks will take issue with both of these ideas but it they sure worked for me.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
Iggy, we've got the same unit as you do except it's a 2011. I don't feel like there is anything wrong about the way the rig handles. I just keep in mind that it is a large truck pushing a square box down the road and the air going around it will impact the "motion" of the box.

When we received the unit from the factory I did have issues with what I would call "wandering". Talked to an over the road truck driver and he shared this with me:

1. Ensure all tire pressures are equal, especially the front steer tires. What the pressures are is less important than making sure they match. The orginal steer tire pressures from the factory were 80psi on the left and 95 psi on the right. Equalized both to 90psi. World of difference.

2. When driving look at least a quarter mile down the road and relax, no death grip on the wheel. Just as soon as you start trying to guide the rig by watching the center lane stripe you will naturally go in that direction, just like when riding a motorcycle.

I'm sure some folks will take issue with both of these ideas but it they sure worked for me.
Thank you for the advise and I do everthing you talked about. I just may be over sensitive and want it to drive like my F-250 and 5th wheel.
Everyone should drive like you stated in 1 and 2 which is the correct way.
Thank you

Tags
378ts