Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #1

Hauling a tennis team.....capacity?

We bought a Gtown 377XL 6 months ago. We can take a tennis team for a 2 hour trip to state. How many passengers max in your view? I think 12 max. 2 in front, 4 at table, 4 in sofa/lounge char, 2 in bedroom.

Opinions?
Themarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

My guess would be limited by the number of seat belts.. Since they are often required.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #3

However many seat belts you have is usually the max number of passengers.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:56 PM   #4

Depends on your insurance limits and your budget for moving violations if you are unfortunate enough to be pulled over or involved in an accident..... (Not worth the risk)...
Melvinson404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themarv View Post
We bought a Gtown 377XL 6 months ago. We can take a tennis team for a 2 hour trip to state. How many passengers max in your view? I think 12 max. 2 in front, 4 at table, 4 in sofa/lounge char, 2 in bedroom.

Opinions?
How many seat belts? State laws require everyone wear a seat belt.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:56 PM   #6

Quote:

Opinions?

Safety First!
With that said please check out this website that has answers for each state you may travel in.
Things You Need To Know About RV Seat Belt Laws
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:50 AM   #7

[QUOTE=Iggy;1155353]Safety First!
With that said please check out this website that has answers for each state you may travel in.

I find it interesting that one of the last comments made on that web site is: "Remember sideways seats are not designated travel seats. Front-facing seats are the safest to travel in". Therefore we with a 378 and dinette do not have any designated passenger seats. Everybody off the boat.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrle View Post
How many seat belts? State laws require everyone wear a seat belt.
Is that true? I thought I read on another forum that if you're "in the house" area of the RV, it isn't the same as being in the front seat and therefore, you can roam freely. (Ignoring the "is that a good idea" discussion.)
Old 04-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Is that true? I thought I read on another forum that if you're "in the house" area of the RV, it isn't the same as being in the front seat and therefore, you can roam freely. (Ignoring the "is that a good idea" discussion.)
Come to think about it, I took a Coach bus to a convention for work last year and we didn't even have seat belts. I'm not sure school buses have seat belts either.

Is there some exemption for larger vehicles like buses and RVs?
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:11 PM   #10
Who Dares, Wins

My guess would be state depending. Here in PA everyone needs to wear a seatbelt.. Technically, other than a few types of vehicles (buses for one) but you can only be pulled over if someone under 18 is not belted. You need to do something else before you can be stopped and ticketed for an adult not belted. Every state is diffrent.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 04-07-2016, 02:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
My guess would be state depending. Here in PA everyone needs to wear a seatbelt.. Technically, other than a few types of vehicles (buses for one) but you can only be pulled over if someone under 18 is not belted. You need to do something else before you can be stopped and ticketed for an adult not belted. Every state is diffrent.

So everyone not bucked when your stopped by cops run and hide in closets, showers not to get caught not wearing seat belts. Lol.

It would be something I would want to find out before starting out.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #12

[QUOTE=doc73;1156148]My guess would be state depending. Here in PA everyone needs to wear a seatbelt.. Technically, other than a few types of vehicles (buses for one) but you can only be pulled over if someone under 18 is not belted. You need to do something else before you can be stopped and ticketed for an adult not belted. Every state is diffrent.

This is not entirely true. Only passenger under the age of 18 needs to be restrained in PA.

Check out this web site and you can search your own state.

Pennsylvania Safety Laws - Cell Phone, Seat Belt, & Car Seat | DMV.org

Here is another interesting state, but I don't know how up to date the information is. Of course the word "blog" always throws a red flag up in my mind.

Things You Need To Know About RV Seat Belt Laws

For the OP. According to the DMV web site: All passengers and the driver of an operating vehicle in Texas must use a seat belt, if available. The key word being "IF AVAILABLE". Of course safety is a whole other issues.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:35 PM   #13
Who Dares, Wins

While technically correct (I left out the part that only adult front seat people need seat belts, in the back they do not), you are not correct. Now according to your own link anyone in the front seat needs to be restrained (which is the law).. And those under 18 no matter where they are in the appropriate seat device (child seat booster and or just the seat depending on age and weight). Its covered under PAVC 75-4581. As you read through the sub sections it tells where and who needs what.

I do agree though. Before I would trust a blog that is only as good as the info they gathered (who knows how timely or accurate their source) one needs to confirm for ones self.

EDIT: Just noticed we are on page two and the OP has never returned since the question was placed...

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 04-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #14
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
So everyone not bucked when your stopped by cops run and hide in closets, showers not to get caught not wearing seat belts. Lol.

It would be something I would want to find out before starting out.
It would be like the phone booth game.. How many folks from the tennis team and cram into the master bathroom!!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 04-07-2016, 10:49 PM   #15

Doc73 - We are both on the same side of the discussion here. I too left out the key point of persons in the front seat must be buckled, but I thought that was implied. I also see that I posted the same link as Iggy did. (His link did not open for me the first time through. Sorry Iggy)

The only point I wanted to make was that the number of seatbelts is not the limiting factor of being legal.

What does that really mean though? I look at by potentially avoiding a $10.00 fine. Who really cares about that. What is more important is avoiding a serious injury or something worse. This is probably one of those laws that goes against common sense.

Which brings up another question. Even though it should probably be in a thread of its own. How safe do people think the rear seat belts really are? You don't hear of many crash test done in Motor Homes. In a serious crash how many "projectiles" are going to be bouncing around the coach? I think they are better served as prevention of minor injuries such as sprains, lacerations, and broken bones in the event of a panic stop. I enforce what I call the airplane rule. Once we are on the highway, you are free to move about the cabin, but if you are not up for a purpose, you will be seated and buckled.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:07 PM   #16
Who Dares, Wins

I think the one link actually addresses that which I also never really thought about.. What is the thing attached to... You are correct, as light weight as they make these things I would bet some of the belts would just pull from the 1/4" plywood. Mythbusters did an episode of flying junk in a car crash a few years ago. It was surprising how much damage a box of tissues could do...

If the person is OVER 18, here in PA, you are correct it does not matter how many seatbelt are in the rear. You do not NEED to wear one. I think everyone needs to wear them so I am with you with the airplane rule.

Guess OP is in TX so who knows down there.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 04-07-2016, 11:20 PM   #17

I too am a Myth Busters fan, and that is what I what started my thought process. The bowling ball was really scary, probably much more than the hatchet.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:24 PM   #18
Who Dares, Wins

Guess it's good I do not bowl and my ax collection is kept in the pass through storage! LOL

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 04-09-2016, 07:48 AM   #19

Thanks to all for your input. The right decision is for the tennis team to ride the bus and we'll be "tournament central" in the parking lot with drinks, food, and a place to rest and socialize.
Themarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Thanks to all for your input. The right decision is for the tennis team to ride the bus and we'll be "tournament central" in the parking lot with drinks, food, and a place to rest and socialize.

Good choice
Melvinson404 is offline   Reply With Quote