Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #21

Step Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaFarm View Post
I too just returned from a trip from Florida to Virginia and back and thought the drivers seat leaned to the right as well. I'll try the washers to see if that helps. I have a 2012 Georgetown VE 351DS (36' bunkhouse model). The problem I had was I stepped on the stairs leaving the coach before it was fully engaged and now it retracts but not like before. It makes a loud noise as it tries to close at the very end of the closing cycle. I think I must have knocked the alignment off so the sensor does not fully seat to show the stairs are up. I looked but didn't see anything readily evident. BTW, I'm not impressed with the quality of the coach now that I've been on a couple of trips with it. Forest River does not have a QC department to verify quality before shipping evidently. The coaxial cable for the TV was not even connected to the termination block for cable TV hookup, trailer hookup electrical plug for the TOAD is the lowest point on the coach (crushed on the first gas stop) and Forest River said not their problem, etc.
I had the same sound of a ratched/grind at each end of the gear plate stroke. It is caused by a loose ball joint stud from the rotary gear plate to the shaft engaging the step linkage. It loosens in the plate and begins to shear at the end of each rotation. Have someone operated door and watch steps from below at a safe distance. You'll see and hear the grinding and see jerky operation. Use two 9/16 open wrenched and tighten after you first cean the contact surfaces, mine has been fine for many operations since. Those who don't tighten up have step failure when the stud shears.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #22

Just a thought, but I also kinda thought the seat leaned to the right a bit but then thought the motor home leans a bit that way if you are in the slow lane due to the crown in the road and being up so high that slight tilt or crown in the road would get accentuated. I just figured that was the reason it felt that way since if I went into the far left lane on a hi-way it did not seem as bad??
georgetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown
Just a thought, but I also kinda thought the seat leaned to the right a bit but then thought the motor home leans a bit that way if you are in the slow lane due to the crown in the road and being up so high that slight tilt or crown in the road would get accentuated. I just figured that was the reason it felt that way since if I went into the far left lane on a hi-way it did not seem as bad??
Mine leans right when on my concrete drive which has a measurable crown to the left for runoff! I have wedged up with 2x4's.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Mine leans right when on my concrete drive which has a measurable crown to the left for runoff! I have wedged up with 2x4's.
Mine isn't that bad, guess it can't be just what i thought. Having to put 2x4s under it to get it feeling right it must be out a lot worse than mine.
georgetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown View Post
Mine isn't that bad, guess it can't be just what i thought. Having to put 2x4s under it to get it feeling right it must be out a lot worse than mine.
2x4 under your seat?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #26

I have felt the unlevel in my 2008 GT seat. It is the arm rests on mine. The right arm rest is lower than the left one and I cannot find any adjustment to correct it. Other than this, I love the seat. Can drive for hours on end without getting up...!!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown View Post
Actually its worse than that, I have two 2x4 stacked up. Fit two course lag bolts in one end of upper board to screw down and press into floor with liner installed. This not only lifts the seat 1/2" but also takes the 1/4" wiggle out of the rotary bearing for the phony swivel joint. Crazy but it works and all is hidded by the seat skirt. The boards presse against the frame of the seat.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #28

2 x 8 under seat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
2x4 under your seat?
This bud's for you Iggy! without them it shakes like crazy and leans right.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drivers seat.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	18338  
Old 08-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
This bud's for you Iggy! without them it shakes like crazy and leans right.....

Interesting method to stabilize. Is that wood just on the left side of the frame or did you remove the pedistal and make it out of wood?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #30

Na, the existing "foundation" is still there, its so narrow don't think washer will help my problem. Leans right, loose in pedestal and rotary swivel bearing. The wood is only stacked below the right hand side of the rear frame. It holds it up more left and keeps its from rocking and rolling. I will eventually built some threaded spreader brackets from floor to chair, thus will be able to swivel again. This was an interim fix for this camping season.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #31

I thought the lean was due to the crown of the road and how high up we are seated. After reading these posts, I added a 3/16" inch shim under the right side slide mech. Only had to remove two bolts, tilt seat and insert shim then tighten bolts. Works pretty good and only took about 20 minutes including making the shims.

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #32

And I thought it was just me. Guess I'll be adding washers this weekend. And since it was mentioned, the "pleather" on my driver seat is cracked and flaking. Less than 10,000 miles.
powellmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:43 AM   #33

I was going to do this also but while I was at rv dealer he said he would do this for me and he did. He said he put 2 washers under right side, what a improvement but I think it needs 1 or 2 more, so now I will do it this time, ill put 2 more washers and see how this works out.i built airplanes for Boeing for 35 years and we never were allowed this kind of workmanship, but I guess these motor homes don't have to fly. Pete
petey is offline   Reply With Quote