Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2016, 02:12 PM   #1

HDMI wire

The HDMI wire from my Wingate Traveler to the Dish Network box has fallen apart. The metal end of the wire has popped off exposing wires. Does the whole wire have to be replaced or is there a quick fix?
JerseyJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:01 AM   #2

Is it hdmi or the coax cable? Not sure u can easily/properly replace end of hdmi.
Gohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:16 AM   #3

Sounds to me like your describing a coax cable, not a HDMI. The coax cable has a shinny round connector with a single wire in the center of the connector and threads on the round outer piece. You can buy a new end for your coax cable. Get one that screws on, not the one that requires crimping. Follow the directions on the package of the replacement cable end you purchase. Chances are you'll need an exacto knife or razor blade for trimming the cable outer layers before assembling the connector to the cable.

PS-- HDMI cables have wide, about 1", molded ends and would really take a major tug/pull to it off the cable. I've seen lots of coax ends come off, never an HDMI connector come off.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:21 AM   #4

No it is the HDMI cable. I've never seen an end come off before. It was installed at Camping World of Swedesboro NJ
JerseyJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJerry View Post
The HDMI wire from my Wingate Traveler to the Dish Network box has fallen apart. The metal end of the wire has popped off exposing wires. Does the whole wire have to be replaced or is there a quick fix?
That is a standard "F" connector. You can get one at Home Depot or Best Buy. Bring a small piece of cable in to make sure you get the right size as satellite cables are often a little thicker than home cable TV cables. You may need to buy a cheap crimping tool to put it on.

Or...you could push the cable back into the connector and keep using it. Make sure that the white part of the coax is the only thing that goes into the center of the connector, keep the foil and ground away from the white shield or it won't work.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:38 AM   #6

I think the easiest way for someone without soldering expertise to repair an HDMI cable may be by purchasing another short as possible cable and cutting the connector off with plenty of cable attached and cutting old cable connector off and stagger splicing wires together insuring that shielding coverage is maintained. Maybe.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:39 AM   #7

It seems to me that a coax connects the Traveler to the Satellite box, NOT an HDMI. The HDMI cable connects the Satellite box to the TV!
Also, a HDMI cable, if ever defective, should be replaced, not repaired!!!!! The suggestion to buy a 2nd cable and cut off the end to splice to old cable is not practical. AND, most of the time, a HDMI cable only needs to be 3'-6' long so buying a short one to cut up to replace another short cable makes no sense.

PS- I described 2 types of cables in my first post. Even with that description, you still insist it's a HDMI????
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
Old 05-07-2016, 07:41 AM   #8

If it is the cable from the receiver to the TV and it is an HDMI, I have seen them come apart and I never would try to repair an HDMI cable. They are cheap if you buy them on line.

2015 335DS
Old 05-07-2016, 07:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
If it is the cable from the receiver to the TV and it is an HDMI, I have seen them come apart and I never would try to repair an HDMI cable. They are cheap if you buy them on line.
Yes, however; routing a new cable from point A to point B may not be possible especially in an RV.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:51 AM   #10

can we get a pic of this? i might be able to tell you if it is repairable or not but i doubt an HDMI would be. and do you mean a winegard trav'ler and not wingate?
Old 05-07-2016, 07:52 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I searched thru online manuals for the Winegaurd Traveller for dish and can not see what type of cable connects the dish to the control box. A picture maybe helpful to determine. To replace a HDMI cable end some screw type products are available.

Is this the wire that goes into the control box for the dish?
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Yes, however; routing a new cable from point A to point B may not be possible especially in an RV.
Routing the HDMI from the box to the TV is no problem at all. Routing a coax that is inside walls, etc, is not a simple task for sure. so replacing the end on his COAX cable is the correct thing to do here!!
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
Old 05-07-2016, 08:11 AM   #13

OK, I Googled the Winegard Traveler install and it appears there is a special cable unique to that system that connects the dish to the receiver. It is not a HDMI cable, nor is it a coax cable. Since I have no experience with this system, or the special cable it uses, I'll pass on trying to assist here. Sorry!
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
Old 05-07-2016, 08:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
Routing the HDMI from the box to the TV is no problem at all. Routing a coax that is inside walls, etc, is not a simple task for sure. so replacing the end on his COAX cable is the correct thing to do here!!
Yes, if that HDMI was not routed thru the walls like mine (and possibly the OP's) where the TV is in the slide and the receiver is in the overhead above the copilot. What a bummer if the HDMI has to be routed externally. The OP did say it is an HDMI cable not a coax.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJerry View Post
The wire from my Wingate Traveler to the Dish Network box has fallen apart. fix?
If it is the cable from the traveler( antenna) to the control box it is coax and not HDMI. You can easily replace that with a kit from HD or Lowes. Get the connector and crimp tool and you will be good to go.

Ideal OmniConn RG-6 Compression F-Connectors (10-Pack)-89-019 - The Home Depot

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:23 AM   #16

"The HDMI wire from my Wingate Traveler to the Dish Network box has fallen apart." this would be a coax with an "F" connector. easy fix.

2015 335DS
Old 05-07-2016, 08:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
"The HDMI wire from my Wingate Traveler to the Dish Network box has fallen apart." this would be a coax with an "F" connector. easy fix.
I think this may be the issue here. When referencing cables, HDMI and COAX are like apples and oranges. They are not interchangeable terminologies. I'm done.