Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Unhappy Heads Up

I have a good friend that bought a 2011 Georgetown 378TS at practically the same time I did. I have since traded mine but he still has his. They were staying in Branson, MO work camping for the summer. There was practically no rain there and it was very hot the whole time they were there and the A/C's were running almost 24-7. Just recently they had noticed a smell in the camper and could not figure out where it was coming from, also the LP detector was going off frequently. They started searching the camper for where this could be coming from. When the opened the cabinets over the dash they could she water stains in the ceiling in them. They opened that area up and there was mold in there going back from the front in two sections of the ceiling. Apparently the A/C drains had been getting into the seam between the fiberglass front cap and the roof. They have contacted Forest River and they are taking it there in Elkhart IN to have it repaired. The kicker is they can't get to it until November 5th. In the mean time the tell him to go up on the roof and caulk everywhere there is a crack in the caulk or a space for water to get through. I had a guy tell me to keep an eye on that seam between the front cap and the roof as Georgetowns were notorious for leaking there. So, everytime, which wasn't often, I went up on the roof I checked it out. I really could not see how this could be possible as Georgetown puts a swath of self-leveling caulk about 4 in. wide and at least 1/2 in. thick over that seam and that stuff is tough to get off. I know cause its the same stuff that's around the vent opening and I installed a fantastic fan in the back vent. But, apparently it can happen. So, y'all need to keep a close eye on yours. By the way Forest River says they have to pull the whole roof off to work on this and that it will probably take 2 weeks to fix it.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #2

Good information but all trailers and motorhomes have the same issues with front and rears seams leaking. Part of preventive maintenance is to examine and repair them when they show leakage. Actually I use Eternabond tape 4: wide over the whole front and rear seams on my 5th wheel and MH.

Roof Leak Repair Products & Sealing Tape | EternaBond®

This is my source for it online. Cheapest around.Luckily they are a few miles from me and I drive over. Reliable Shop.
http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=11341

Probably a good time to inspect before winter sets in.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #3

Iggy:

I am going to do a preemptive strike on my roof joints and use the 4" Eternabond. Any tools like rollers needed to apply?

Thanks,
Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
Iggy:

I am going to do a preemptive strike on my roof joints and use the 4" Eternabond. Any tools like rollers needed to apply?

Thanks,
Bill
If the area is dry and clean you shouldn't need any roller. If it is mostly flat area I'd get the roller.
When you are ready just remove a small amount of the backing at the start area. Make sure you work slowly and start from the center of the ta[e and work out to remove all air bubble. All I use is my thumb. When this area is complete just pull from underneath more of the protective backing and continue on this way until the end.

FYI the tape comes in grey, black and white to match your seamor roof if visiable from front or back. If not get the cheapest color they have and go.

If you make a minor mistake you can pull up a small amount. You may have to use a razor blade to cut the elastic strings and if cold you can use a hair dryer to soften the glue up before removing.

If it is done slowly and the area is clean and dry you will never need to worry about that area again. It is really great stuff.

Look around and you may find a few videos on installation.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy

If the area is dry and clean you shouldn't need any roller. If it is mostly flat area I'd get the roller.
Whe you are ready just remove a small amount of the vacking a place at the start area. Make sure you work slowly and start from the center working out to remove all air bubble. When this area is complete just pull from under neather more of the protective backing and continue on this way until the end.

FYI the tape comes in grey, black and white to match your seamor roof if visiable from front or back. If not get the cheapest color they have and go.

If you make a minor mistake you can pull up a small amount. You may have to use a razor blade to cut the elastic strings and if cold you can use a hair dryer to soften the glue up before removing.

If it is done slowly and the area is clean and dry you will never need to worry about that area again. It is really great stuff.

Look around and you may find a few videos on installation.

Thanks, I am going to do the front cap and maybe the rear. I am in a covered storage so all will be dry.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #6

How maybe you can see what I went through with my 2004 with Forestriver .They put them together anyway they can just to sell them .To bad for the people that buy them to really enjoy them .
louis cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis cherry View Post
How maybe you can see what I went through with my 2004 with Forestriver .They put them together anyway they can just to sell them .To bad for the people that buy them to really enjoy them .

All manufacturers do it. So what do you trailer do you own now so we can find a good one.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #8

Iggy just a two comments/questions re the following

"All manufacturers do it."

Are you suggesting that all RV manufactures produce poor products like
louis cherry suggests FR does ?

"So what do you trailer do you own now so we can find a good one."

The above is difficult to read, but I found it a little on the sarcastic side

Gary
mbtelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo45 View Post
They opened that area up and there was mold in there going back from the front in two sections of the ceiling. Apparently the A/C drains had been getting into the seam between the fiberglass front cap and the roof. roof off to work on this and that it will probably take 2 weeks to fix it.
I'm aware of the A/C opening itself being a souce of water ingress. If the front seam is looks good with that much Dicor could be the AC foundation drain plate leaked and allowed water to enter the ceiling at the square opening. The description above leads me to this suggestion. The leak can come from a bad gasket or rusted through foundation plate. The water can wick in and follow the ceiling fwd. Doesn't sound like a large leak, I've had them in class C campers fwd like this.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtelguy View Post
Iggy just a two comments/questions re the following

"All manufacturers do it."

Are you suggesting that all RV manufactures produce poor products like
louis cherry suggests FR does ?

"So what do you trailer do you own now so we can find a good one."

The above is difficult to read, but I found it a little on the sarcastic side

Gary

I guess you know all Gary. Thanks for reading between the lines.