Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #1

heat strips

We are going to pick up a new gt 352lx next week. The coach we are trading has heat pumps, and the new gt has heat strips. Never having used heat strips be.fore, I am not sure haw, they work. Can anyone give me some information on them? Do they come on automatically when the temp gets so low? The new coach only has the heat strip on the front ac unit. Do i need one on the rear unit or will the front one provided heat for the whole coach? If ii need one on the rear ac, are they hard to install and can it be done aftermarket. Also, would it be expensive?

Sorry for so many questions, but i think there are several differences between what i am used to and the new one.
pres09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #2

Like you we went from heat pump to heat strip.
NOT impressed AT ALL!
Save your $'s on the rear unit, spend them on a small elec. heater.

Heat strip = a lot of noise for not much heat.

ab@jb
Old 12-10-2012, 05:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pres09 View Post
We are going to pick up a new gt 352lx next week. The coach we are trading has heat pumps, and the new gt has heat strips. Never having used heat strips be.fore, I am not sure haw, they work. Can anyone give me some information on them? Do they come on automatically when the temp gets so low? The new coach only has the heat strip on the front ac unit. Do i need one on the rear unit or will the front one provided heat for the whole coach? If ii need one on the rear ac, are they hard to install and can it be done aftermarket. Also, would it be expensive?

Sorry for so many questions, but i think there are several differences between what i am used to and the new one.
There has been much discussion on heat strips for aux. heat. If you check for an older thread called CHEAP HEAT WARNING you will find the cost and research I have done with the cost. In a heat pump system, the strip will come on during what is called defrost cycle. When this happens the compressor will reverse it's Freon flow. Through a what is called a reversing valve. This might occur as much as as every 45 mins. or so depending on the ice built up on the condenser coil. Some system also allow you to use the heat strip to add heat, this is called emergency heat. If you read the the post you will see how to install a strip in a straight AC unit. You are limited to the size of the strip that could be put in by the circuit size. The MAX a 20amp circuit can handle. You will see in the figures in that post. I think the total cost was $290.00.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #4

My old fiver had a heat strip installed and its use is like a blow dryer it will knock the chill off but will not heat the coach. You will need the furnce. When i added mine the cost was approx $89.00 and took 15 min to install. Plug and play with 1 screw to hold it in place. Hope this helps and good travels, welcome to the family.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pres09 View Post

I've got them in fwd and aft units and as long as you realize they are for breaking a chill, not a freeze outside they are fine. They are controlled as one of 4 selections in the thermostat. Fan, cool, heat strip and furnace (gas). They are a little less than the power of a hair dryer but sometimes thats all you need. Floor units throw more heat but not distributed throughout the coach. Obviously you're already locked in to them so using these guides you should be fine. Better than I had before this. Besides with 50 amp service you can save your propane for awhile. Enjoy your new RV. The fan speed is adjustable use low for this heat.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I have heat strips in both of my units. They're fine for mild temperatures, upper 40s to lower 50s, but as stated the noise factor is definitely something to consider. We rarely use them. Prefer 2 small ceramic heaters set on 900 watts. The coach stays warm, they cycle off and don't make much noise at all. You just need to be sure they are plugged in seperate circuits if you want to run them at 1500 watts.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #7

Have heat strips both front and back. Since I live in Fla. they usualy with the fireplace, give us all the heat we need.
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #8

Though not capable of providing the same level of heat as the furnace I found the heat strips in our 2011 GT worked quite well. I only wish that the thermostat allowed you to run both at the same time.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #9

I have used the coach twice since purchasing it. Both times we needed heat. The heat strips worked quite well and the noise was a lot less than the heat pumps on our old unit.
pres09 is offline   Reply With Quote