Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2016, 09:15 PM   #1

Heat strips vs furnace

We are going to take our maiden voyage in our New 377TS the end of this month from Southern Ohio to Nashville. Looking at the extended forecast, looks like the weather should be in the mid 40's to low '50's for the entire trip. While n the road would it be best to run the dash heat and the generator with the two A/C heat strips or the dash heat and one or both of the furnaces, or will the dash heat alone be sufficient while we are on the road. We have been 5th wheelers for the last 20 years and this is our first motorhome since the early nineties. Back then we never took any winter trips.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #2

I have found the heat strips not to be effective at producing heat. The fan is too strong to produce much heat.
The dash heater has worked for us going down the road. When we stop and set up camp we use ceramic heater to keep us warm. Only when it gets down into the 30's do we use the furnace. We have never needed the furnace while traveling even when it was in the 30's. If needing more heat In the future I would probably run the generator and use our ceramic heater for extra heat.
Have fun.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:00 PM   #3

DW and I have traveled in weather down to mid 20's while driving. We run dash heat and furnace heat as needed.

We are currently staying in north GA mountains and temps are in 20's at night. We use our heat strips to keep unit warm. Have found that you need to make sure both thermostats are set at same temperature and helps to leave bedroom door open. This lets them run together to fill the ceiling vent lines efficiently with warm air to warm rv. Remember it runs on low fan. I have a thermometer in a vent register and when both units running after 5-10 minutes it shows about 85 degree air coming out. Reminds me of heat pumps used hear in south. It maintains interior temps fine. But If you need to adjust warmer quicker I switch to furnace to raise it quickly and then go back to heat strips.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #4

I didn't think about the ceramic heaters. We have two real nice ones that look like table lamps that we always used in the 5th wheel and they always kept us warm. We very seldom ever used te furnace in our 5th wheel. Between the two ceramic heaters and the fireplace they were enough. Thanks for the responses.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to PHILIPHD Send a message via Skype™ to PHILIPHD
HEAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew48 View Post
we are going to take our maiden voyage in our new 377ts the end of this month from southern ohio to nashville. Looking at the extended forecast, looks like the weather should be in the mid 40's to low '50's for the entire trip. While n the road would it be best to run the dash heat and the generator with the two a/c heat strips or the dash heat and one or both of the furnaces, or will the dash heat alone be sufficient while we are on the road. We have been 5th wheelers for the last 20 years and this is our first motorhome since the early nineties. Back then we never took any winter trips.
i have a 378xl and live about 90 miles from nashville. I recommend using the forward furnace to keep your rig warm.
PHILIPHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #6

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:24 PM   #7
Sherlock

Remember that the heat strips only work down to a certain temperature. When it gets very cold, we used the furnace which also helped keep the lower areas where the duct work is a little warmer as well.

norwood12800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:39 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

While I only have 1 trip under my belt since we bought our 364, we used the front furnace and dash, which kept the whole coach more than warm enough in 30 degree weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #9

Thumbs up

The few times that it has been cold and with recent dropping eown to the low 40's high 30's down here at NSB Kings Bay MWR campground, the Heat strips and electric fireplace have kept it toasty. As mentioned by another reader, both units at same temp help with the heat.

On a side note, as I write this at 2:20pm, it is 56 degrees out, both units have been off since 9am, and it is a comfortable 68 degrees in the coach. I avoid the furnace at all costs.

Dennis
2015 Georgetown XL378
DRNoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #10

Heat strips

Are you sure you have heat strips or do you just have a heat pump. Most Rv heat pumps don't have strips, that is usually an upgrade done at the factory. Most often it is a heat pump and gas furnace. I think some of the new Rv or heated by water also.
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:13 PM   #11

Yes I am sure. They were an option when I bought it and installed at the factory.. I have used them at home checking everything out. If you take the a/c grill on the celeing you can see them and also watch them get hot when selected at the thermostat.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:10 PM   #12

We went to northern NY in our GT 364 this last fall. When the temperatures got into the 20s, we found ourselves going through propane way too fast when running both furnaces. We switched to electric space heaters and found they kept it warm and toastie. The great advantage is that the electric is included in the price of the campground whereas the propane comes out of your pocket. (Sent to you from SW Ohio also, i.e. SE of Dayton)
Old 01-03-2016, 06:26 PM   #13

We are not too far from you Vince, we are in Washington Court House.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:53 PM   #14

We will be leaving tomorrow morning. Temp. around 22F, while getting set up, I'll run the rv heater to take off the chill. Going down the road just dash heat. I do use a fan that fits the 12v outlet in the dash to push heated air toward the back. Works fine.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:32 PM   #15

We typically run the front heat and one of the two furnaces in our Georgetown going down the road...Once parked we will run the Heat Strips during the day and the furnace at night if it is in the 20's or 30's.

One thing we found is that for the heat strips to work well the thermostat needs to be set higher than if running the furnace.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:39 PM   #16

A32Deuce: I'm jealous. One of the most exciting parts of camping for me was the moment everything was ready, I hit the ignition key, turned to the DW and said, "Let's go!" Gives me goose bumps just thinking of it...I love it.

For Georgew48: I retired from Wright-Patt AFB back when you were an A1C (just kidding). (Flew B-52s in the cold war days...back when we thought the Ruskies were going to attack us with nukes at any moment.) Startin' the RV reminds me of closing the B-52 entry hatch, strapping in and hitting the starters. Both are thrills you can't match!...well almost.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:00 PM   #17

I am like you Vince.
The moment I turn the key, look at the DW and say "you ready". Doesn't get any better than that and the feeling is nice knowing all of the hard work we have done is now worth it.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
A32Deuce: I'm jealous. One of the most exciting parts of camping for me was the moment everything was ready, I hit the ignition key, turned to the DW and said, "Let's go!" Gives me goose bumps just thinking of it...I love it.

For Georgew48: I retired from Wright-Patt AFB back when you were an A1C (just kidding). (Flew B-52s in the cold war days...back when we thought the Ruskies were going to attack us with nukes at any moment.) Startin' the RV reminds me of closing the B-52 entry hatch, strapping in and hitting the starters. Both are thrills you can't match!...well almost.
I retired form the Air Force in 95 then retired from ABX Air in 2010. Spent most of my AF career on C-5s.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
Are you sure you have heat strips or do you just have a heat pump. Most Rv heat pumps don't have strips, that is usually an upgrade done at the factory. Most often it is a heat pump and gas furnace. I think some of the new Rv or heated by water also.
Pretty easy to tell. the thermostats are different for heat strips vs heat pump.

Heat Strips

vs. Heat Pump

vs. those that only have furnaces
Old 01-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #20

Yep, the top one is just like both the ones in my coach.

Tags
furnace