Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2010, 11:40 PM   #1

Heated Basement?

When I bought my 2005 35' Georgetown MH the salesman said the basement was heated. During the walk around, the technician said none of the basements are heated. Georgetown owners, what do you say?
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #2

basement heat

My 2011 Georgetown has a arctic pack which heats the holding tanks when the temp gets below 40 or so it says...it has a separate switch & warns you not to turn it on without fluid in the tanks...my previous MH was a Holiday Rambler which had a switch for turning on an electrical basement heater...it was kinda like a heat cube.
levendoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #3

The basements of the Georgetowns are not heated. The tanks have a heat pads that can be turned on to heat them with warnings not to use if there isn't fluids in them. (I think now they only come with the artic packages) Ours was standard in 2008. During freezing weather last year we added a 6owatt light bulb in the compartment near the water inlet is and the valves for the tank to keep from freezing up in sub 30 degree weather in central florida building habitat homes.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #4

They don't say they are heated but I swear when the furnace is on it sounds and feels like my waste compartment has a vent in it from the furnace. I have electric 120 heaters in both waste and fresh water bays just in case.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhanson View Post
They don't say they are heated but I swear when the furnace is on it sounds and feels like my waste compartment has a vent in it from the furnace. I have electric 120 heaters in both waste and fresh water bays just in case.
I am not sure what happend but lost my post. Here goes again. We are parked in an RV park in Indy. Its been as low as 7* overnight and not above 28* in the past week. We have 75w bulbs located in each compartment that has water lines in them. I also placed temp sensors so I could watch the temps in the compartments. So far no compartment with a water line in it has dropped below 32, even at 7*, they are staying around 38*. I would be interested in knowing what kind of 120v heaters you are using.
betndavrv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #6

One additional thought, I did not place a 75w bulb in the compartment housing the water heater. The water lines feeding the water heater including the by-past valves, have frozen up, so although we have cold water in the coach, we have not hot water, due to the freeze up of the frozen water feed to the water heater. So..turned off the water heater. I guess I am going to have to find a way to put a 75w bulb inside that compartment as well.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #7

I am headed out to Ohio from Minnesota for Christmas. Are you just stringing a light socket with a bulb to a basement outlet for the fresh water tank?
Ggantilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:55 PM   #8

[QUOTE=Ggantilla;75195]I am headed out to Ohio from Minnesota for Christmas. Are you just stringing a light socket with a bulb to a basement outlet for the fresh water tank?[/QUOTE[/I][

I used work light with a plastic cover to cover the 75w bulbs and just laid them into each compartment. The I placed a $9 wireless sensor in the compartment away from the bulb so I could monitor the temps from inside the coach. It has worked so far in the 2 compartments I did this to. However, the compartmen where the water heater is froze before I realized I n eeded to do it too.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by betndavrv2 View Post
....I would be interested in knowing what kind of 120v heaters you are using.
I'm just using 2 small sunbeam ceramic heater's with thermostats and adjustable heat output. Turning the thermostats down all the way, they cycle holding a temp of around 36-42 in the immediate vicinity of the heater, colder further away. I screwed them down and wired them together off the 120v circuit in the fresh water tank area. Running them on low they don't pop the breaker even if they are both on.

I've never really been single digit temps for more than a day before so I don't know how the water heater area would hold up. I assumed just having the water heater over there would have keep the lines warm enough if it was on. It a long way from the heater on the waste water side over to the water heater area.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:06 AM   #10

Quote:
I'm just using 2 small sunbeam ceramic heater's with thermostats and adjustable heat output. Turning the thermostats down all the way, they cycle holding a temp of around 36-42 in the immediate vicinity of the heater, colder further away. I screwed them down and wired them together off the 120v circuit in the fresh water tank area. Running them on low they don't pop the breaker even if they are both on.

I've never really been single digit temps for more than a day before so I don't know how the water heater area would hold up. I assumed just having the water heater over there would have keep the lines warm enough if it was on. It a long way from the heater on the waste water side over to the water heater area.
Thanks for that info...in our case with the single digit temps...the heat from the water heater was not enough to keep that compartment warm enough to keep the water heater cold water line from freezing. I think if I can find a way to keep that compartment warmer, then we will have it OK for next winters 2 week stay in IN for Christmas.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #11

It stinks the only access to that side is through the winterizing ports on the bottom. Otherwise you have to pull the water heater to get in there. Maybe the thing to do is cut a larger port in the backside of the compartment so you can install a light or heater and then put a cover over it.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #12

Quote:
It stinks the only access to that side is through the winterizing ports on the bottom. Otherwise you have to pull the water heater to get in there. Maybe the thing to do is cut a larger port in the backside of the compartment so you can install a light or heater and then put a cover over it.
Yep... boat shops have those ports up to 1ft sq. I think that is what I will use on the water heater compartment. Sure would be easier to work on the back side of the water heater and water lines anyway. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #13

Our 2010 330TS came with the Arctic Pack. According to the literature, the tanks as well as any joint where water can stand is heated.

Jeff and Renee
2010 Georgetown 330TS
2006 Hyundai Elantra Toad
jshields13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #14

betndavrv2
I used work light with a plastic cover to cover the 75w bulbs and just laid them into each compartment. The I placed a $9 wireless sensor in the compartment away from the bulb so I could monitor the temps from inside the coach. It has worked so far in the 2 compartments I did this to. However, the compartmen where the water heater is froze before I realized I n eeded to do it too.

Did you put a 75 watt bulb in the area above the propane tank where the water pump is. Don't look like much room????. How did you do it. I put a 40 watt bulb in a drop lite under the tank drain vale area and that helped when it was 23 degrees here in Richmond Texas where I am wintering. Just curios how you did it.
whitebb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown