Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #1

Heater

Can I run the propane heater....while driving down the road....my front heater don't seem to kept motor home warm enough in the winter
kymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #2

I don't see why not. Read this thread:

running propane heater while running - iRV2 Forums
Old 11-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #3

I was told during the PDI to not run the furnace or the fridge while towing.

Why not run an electric heater?

https://www.google.com/search?newwin...61.a5VUrhd5oGU
Old 11-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I was told during the PDI to not run the furnace or the fridge while towing. Why not run an electric heater?
Out of curiosity- did they say why?

I know some people have concerns about the flame while filling up at gas stations. But I'd never heard of not using it at all while traveling (of course, my background/experience is only with fifth wheels).
Old 11-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Out of curiosity- did they say why?

No, I never ask why not!

Sounded like good common sense.

Ya I know, it's not common any more.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #6

Been running furnace and fridge on gas in all my rvs (trailers, fifth wheels, class a and c motorhomes for 40 years. No problems.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
No, I never ask why not!

Sounded like good common sense.

Ya I know, it's not common any more.
Maybe not. Other than filling up and the whole flame thing- I don't really see a reason to not.

The only consideration I'd give it is how many heat registers are covered by slides. In my fifth wheel case, a lot are and I wouldn't feel comfortable running the heater while we drove to our destination.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #8

The original poster did not mention his situation, but if he has a Class C or B+ and there are only two people, you can drape a blanket behind the cab area and that will hold the heat in just fine.

Northern members need to comment on this, but it looks to me if that you're driving in weather well below freezing and the coach isn't winterized, you would run the risk of freezing pipes if you don't run the furnace.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #9

Firstly, the OP posed this question in the "Georgetown" section of the forum. So it is safe to assume the OP has a Georgetown, which is a class A. I run my furnace, while driving whenever the chassis heater can't get it done for all passengers. Probably prudence would be warranted while fueling, even tho, the furnace exhaust is on the opposite side from the fuel filler. Ya' never know when some idiot may be spraying gas all over the ground on the other side of you...!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd-ford-hd View Post
Firstly, the OP posed this question in the "Georgetown" section of the forum. So it is safe to assume the OP has a Georgetown, which is a class A. I run my furnace, while driving whenever the chassis heater can't get it done for all passengers. Probably prudence would be warranted while fueling, even tho, the furnace exhaust is on the opposite side from the fuel filler. Ya' never know when some idiot may be spraying gas all over the ground on the other side of you...!
+1
Old 11-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
Denver, CO

While there is some added risk with the propane tanks open during travel, due to the pressurized lines running through the rigs, in a severe crash you still have the propane tanks that can be severed and dump propane. If you run with open tanks, for the frig, then there is no real additional risk with the furnace. turning off BOTH is a good idea during fueling, but still a pretty remote risk.

In a class A you've got the fuel (diesel or gas) also to worry about.

An MH is a traveling bomb anyway, and so is a car, so you takes yer chances.

Some folks get pretty obsessive about these issues, but it really is a dangerous sport driving down these roads in these huge boxes, but we do it anyway.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
While there is some added risk with the propane tanks open during travel, due to the pressurized lines running through the rigs, in a severe crash you still have the propane tanks that can be severed and dump propane. If you run with open tanks, for the frig, then there is no real additional risk with the furnace. turning off BOTH is a good idea during fueling, but still a pretty remote risk.

In a class A you've got the fuel (diesel or gas) also to worry about.

An MH is a traveling bomb anyway, and so is a car, so you takes yer chances.

Some folks get pretty obsessive about these issues, but it really is a dangerous sport driving down these roads in these huge boxes, but we do it anyway.
So in an accident the opd valve wouldn't engage when there's a fast outflow of gas?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
So in an accident the opd valve wouldn't engage when there's a fast outflow of gas?
Yes it should, but I was talking worse case, I guess. I'm not sure what the pressure point is for that to shutdown, but really, unless you tear the whole rig apart, which maybe the propane would only be a small part of a really bad problem.

Do you have specs on that OPD safety? that would make the risk of running the furnace even more remote...