Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2010, 03:10 PM   #1

heater problem

We have 2011 Georgetown 378-love it! This past weekend while it was frigid our rear heat went out. It would come on(fan)and go off within a few minutes. Thank goodness this model has 2 heating units and fireplace or we would have had to head home. Also our microwave turntable will not turn. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
we2lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

sounds like it is all under warranty, being a 2011 model. I would let the dealer handle it. Furnace and microwave could be expensive, either way. Good Luck. Sorry, not much help.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #3

I would also leave it up to the dealer to fix since it is a new one. If its like our 378, the furnace under your ref blows heat down the vents in the floor and heats the bedroom. The other heater comes out in the front room. it sounds like a loose wire or morelikely the thermocupler that keeps the burner on. The microwave, that could be anything. Does anything work? if not check the breaker. And your right, the fireplace keeps the unit warm. We think ours is great.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #4

Cooking With Oven While Driving

I was reading a thread about someone using their oven while driving, so I take it that's not a problem? We just bought our first RV - 2007 Georgetown and we are about to take a 3000 mile drive from West TX to Spokane WA. Unfortuantely no manuals came with the Coach (the dealer is still trying to get me some) and we were wondering if this would be okay. You know how it is, you drive 8 hours and it's nice to have dinner ready right before you park at a KOA camp. But is it worth the risk??? I've had conversations about this and it's a 50/50 split - some say it's no big deal as long as you keep an eye out on what's cooking and others say it's just not worth the risk. My gut says - NO - simply because you need to have the coach level in order for propane to work properly. I'd like to see what's the word out there...<Left:17><End> on this subject. Thanks for the follow up and I feel a bit embarrased asking this question but I'm a "newbie" with the RV.
RogueLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #5

The dealer we purchased from(LazyDays) is 10 hrs away but we have a local rv repair that we plan to call, they are authorized to do warranty work. Our thermostat next to refrigerator controls only the two round vents on end of counter next to sofa, the thermostat in bedroom controls all floor vents. As far as cooking while traveling-I know people do it but I wouldn't, this is our first motorhome coming from travel trailers and 5th wheels and there are so many obstacles that come into play while driving such as rough roads, curves, etc. I could just see a pot of something hot sliding off the stove into the floor or onto the cook, just too dangerous to me. I fix us a sandwich etc as we travel but no cooking. If you ran the generator you could do something in the crock pot and place it in kitchen sink on some towels I'd think that would be safe.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If you drive the same roads, what's the difference between a motor home, a 5th wheel, a camper, or a car. The only difference I can think of is vision. 5th wheel, motor home, camper, are all large, or can be.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:00 PM   #7

I was talking about cooking as you are traveling, you don't realize how rough the roads actually are when in a camper 5th wheel etc since you are not riding inside it.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:36 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by we2lovecamping View Post
I was talking about cooking as you are traveling, you don't realize how rough the roads actually are when in a camper 5th wheel etc since you are not riding inside it.
I totally agree. Until I pinned most of the doors and drawers, I used to be very unhappy with the mess made even with a "quiet" expressway drive to the next campground. I spent a lot of time putting sliding track floors in our deep narrow pantry cabinet. My first road trip caused those can filled sleds on rollers to push the door open and I found cans and bottles all over the floor the first stop for gas. Luckily the Spaghetti Sauce did not break!
I bungied it closed until I could come up with a more permanent fix.

Having the pot roast and potatoes all over the floor because the oven door popped open while getting passed by a Semi seems a horrible way to arrive late at a campground.

We just pop some burgers on the grill our first night at a campground and save the fancy stuff for company.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:03 PM   #9

We use the oven ocassionally while travelling. Easy stuff like pizza. Other times we will have an easy meal prepared at home that we can throw in the microwave while setting up the MH at the campground. Then we can sit down and relax while eating, everything is hooked up.
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:47 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Signature Block

It would help everyone to help you, if you all take a minute and create a "Signature" block in the User CP section.

First Names, Type of RV (year and model) and tow vehicle (year and model) at a minimum, so we know what you are refering to when you have problems or comments. You can also post a small picture of you or your rig there as well.

We just added a few more lines so you can get pretty descriptive. Have fun with it but please watch the rules about politeness, banned topics, and common courtesy if you add "quotes" to your signature line.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:31 AM   #11

Regarding the furnaces in the 378ts, i noticed there are not any ducts forward in the living area, and was concerned there would be insufficient airflow to keep the front of the coach warm. What are your experiences, anyone?
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown